Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Nintendo 2DS

Options
  • 24-08-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My niece has a Nintendo 2DS that is configured to use the R4DS card with preloaded games.
    However, she bought a new game and when she put it in, she was asked to update, which she did.  
    Now the DS will not work at all.  Powers on to a black screen and then powers off.

Any idea how this could be fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like the device might have run out of power of been turned off during the update process.
    I would say you need to contact Nintendo and return it for repair.
    I wouldn't mention the R4 as that would render the warranty worthless, especially if you were running custom firmware.

Edit: I just checked a few resources online and none of them describe, as a consequence of using an R4 card, that the console can be bricked.
    But there's plenty of instances that a device can be rendered inoperable during updates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could try this, but read the comments and remember you are responsible for any consequences of the procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

As the owner of a softbricked 3DS I can tell you that getting to the menu he's talking about there and successfully applying the update does not guarantee you will get out of the situation you're in. Usually with a soft brick the system stays on though.

Does your 2DS power off by itself or do you power it off?
    Is it the same on mains as on battery?
    If you power it on and wait, then tap the power button once and give it about 20 seconds, do you get the standard "Power off" screen (this may not exist n the 2DS since it doesn't have a hinge...)

Anyway, give the thing in the video a go, you have nothing to lose at this point...
    Another one you can try is L+R+Down+B on startup to reset your home menu to default.
    Finally, if you can get the Power Off screen I mentioned before, hold L and Home to try and "glitch" back to the home menu. Never worked for me but some guy in the internet swore by it.

Nintendo will charge you for a repair, even if you were forced into the firmware update by their eShop against your will. It comes under the "small repair" charge.

Advertisement