Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-policy discount question

Options
  • 24-08-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

My motor insurance is due for renewal at the beginning of September. My home insurance is due end of September. The motor quote is quite good (in the current climate) and includes a discount for having my home insurance with the same company - so I renewed my motor insurance today.
    The home insurance has crept up year on year for no real reason and this year jumped almost 20%. I got a quote from another company that wipes the floor with the renewal quote, so I'm going with the new one. My question is, can they come looking for the discount they applied to my motor insurance on the basis that it was given because I had both policies with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ludikrus wrote: »
    ... can they come looking for the discount they applied to my motor insurance on the basis that it was given because I had both policies with them?

No they can't, that was a 'point in time' determination, it was not conditional on you continuing the other policy with them.

This type of loyalty discount is a complete con, it relies on mugs people taking the view that they couldn't possibly do better elsewhere if they are getting such a good deal so it's essentially a ploy to discourage you from shopping around.

The house and motor sections of your insurance company operate independent of one another - shop around every time and don't fall for the loyalty discount nonsense.

Advertisement