Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything is overpriced

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Mc-BigE wrote: »
    it would be good if we could see the breakdown figures that a Retail business in Ireland are paying for say a "65-70 euro PS4 game" as an example
    verses the same game in Newry costing 40 pounds (43.38 euro today) or less for the exact same thing.

why is there such a difference, surely the uk and irish retail are getting the same game in the box from the same source (probably in UK)

is the cost of rent, higher insurance, higher min wages etc costing them the extra 26 euro approx per game, surely not

Economies of scale. Amazon can go to a manufacturer and demand a low price for their products. An Irish retailer has to go to a wholesaler who doesn't get the discounts that Amazon can get.  So just like when the big retailers can sell products for less than your local shop can purchase, Amazon can buy for less than the wholesaler can.

Then ad in our higher cost of doing business and that's why a global giant can sell cheaper than an Irish store.
    And? What is the conclusion from this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

alberto67 wrote: »
    Synthol wrote: »
    Why should I buy something here when I can literally get exactly the same item for 50% less on amazon uk. It just pisses me off that everything has to be overpriced here. I am really happy that Amazon introduced prime to Ireland making delivery free so I don't have to pay stupid prices in Ireland.

Emigrate and live near Amazon HQ. Free delivery then.
    The same could be suggested to all lower earners/most vulnerable, who apply for free/affordable housing:
    Emigrate and live in Africa, where the housing is almost free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

You don't need to subscribe, just buy prime items over £20 and it will be shipped for free, don't listen to the misinformed.

That's just the standard super saver delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Sarn wrote: »

Prime in Ireland d would be fantastic. I for one evening would gladly pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

cnocbui wrote: »
    You'd swear we lived on a small island or something.

You mean a bit like New Zealand, where VAT is 15%, the top tax rate is 33%, the bottom tax rate is 10.5%, there is no filthy DIRT tax, no RTE tax, no levy on every form of insurance and Electricity, where car insurance rates aren't a hefty fraction of the cost of 1oz of gold and where the government has a $3.7 B surplus, instead of ten times that in deficit?

That sort of small island?
    Erm... Ireland 84k sq km.... New Zealand 268k sq km....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Sarn wrote: »

It's full tracked and free, what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

It's full tracked and free, what's your point?

Just clarifying that it's not prime and has been around for years. Still a good option when picking up a few items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm here in ibiza at the moment. In the super clubs it 30 euro a pint. Now that's overpriced..

You are ****ting me? I know they would be dear but I was thinking 10 euro a pint. 30 euro seems unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

If businesses want to survive then they should compete with online retailers instead of insanenly overpricing everything.

They're not overpriced though? They're priced at a point where the retailer can cover their overheads, pay their staff and make a profit.

Online retailers price the same way, only their overheads and staff costs are less, so the final price is less. Granted, some B&Ms are gougers (Gamestop for example) but most are only keeping their heads above water.

Also, I'm trying to buy this item: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GM0UFI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    Its £30, delivered by Amazon, Im a Prime member and shipping is £7.

If you can show me how to get free shipping I'd be much obliged.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

eeguy wrote: »
    They're not overpriced though? They're priced at a point where the retailer can cover their overheads, pay their staff and make a profit.

Online retailers price the same way, only their overheads and staff costs are less, so the final price is less. Granted, some B&Ms are gougers (Gamestop for example) but most are only keeping their heads above water.

Also, I'm trying to buy this item: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GM0UFI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

It's not prime eligible, look somewhere else. Amazon is not the only online seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

eeguy wrote: »

When I put that in my basket and select my RoI delivery address I get

Choose a delivery option:
    • FREE Delivery : get it by Sept. 1-2
    • Standard Delivery : get it by Wednesday, Aug. 30
    Only if I select the latter option do I get charged GBP 7.26 for postage. And I'm not a Prime member.

Amazon must just really have it in for you.

Advertisement