Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Atlantic Way Sportif 13-29 Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Hoping to do stages 1 and 2 as they're near home

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Hoping to do Day 4. Jersey looks great, compared to the usual dog vomit inspired sportif jerseys. Full support with transfer and Jersey for €45 is incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder will they have to change the last stage - i note it doesn't take in the full wild atlantic way in inishowen, but some of the roads it seems to take in are ones which sustained damage this week AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How much is it to do the whole lot? Anyone know, can't find it without registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Inquitus wrote: »
    How much is it to do the whole lot? Anyone know, can't find it without registering.

On the main page it says €90 for multi-day stages including overnight.

So €90 x 17 stages = €1,530.
    That's my guess anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

It was too late this year to get sorted, but I'm half-thinking about splitting it next year and doing the first half in the April event and then the remaining stages in September.

Thinking of doing stage 9 as it's closest to home.
    The transfer back to the start point and having a kit bag at the finish point is class. Might plan out if I could do other stages.

It sounds like the version in Spring next year will be tougher.
    The April/May 2018 Cycle Sportif will be geared very much to the Club Cyclist looking to get some serious miles into the legs in preparation for the season ahead. The route will be split in four blocks of four stages and will facilitate Cycling clubs both in Ireland and abroad use the event as a pre – season training camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

At least 3 of the roads in that route in Inishowen are gone. One around Malin head will take ages to fix. The other ones should be ready.

The route also completely avoids Mamore Gap,I would of thought that a lot of cyclists would want to tackle it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It sounds like the version in Spring next year will be tougher.

The season starts in February/March doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    The season starts in February/March doesn't it?

Haven't a clue. I don't race :P

So have any Boardsies took part in this yet?

They are going from Bantry to Sneem today.
    Anyone know what the numbers are like so far. From looking at the video of the start of stage 1, there were about 35-50 riders. I wonder if there are many doing the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Registered for Friday spin from roundstone but no confirmation email yet so hope all is good.

Anyone know what the numbers are like so far. From looking at the video of the start of stage 1, there were about 35-50 riders. I wonder if there are many doing the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Numbers look quite small based upon the pictures I have seen, still hoping to get a few stages in closer to the weekend if the weather is decent. I want that jersey:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://vimeo.com/233721876?ref=fb-share&1

I'd say numbers not great.
    Met a few of them coming back towards Kinsale solo on Wednesday.
    Class jersey though

About 40 cyclists in this tweeted photo from today.

https://twitter.com/PauricByrne/status/910153071623360514

I was hoping to do the stage on Thursday but I'm having trouble with my back at the moment so it's a no-go for me unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The fab weather of the first 5-6 days just a distant memory now. Must be a bit grim around Fanore today. No update en-route yet on Twitter WAW Sportif

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Signed up for Achill- Ballina. Couldn't resist, its on a Sunday and it's great value for the jersey, jacket, lunch and transfers.
    Fingers crossed it won't be TOO wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Animella wrote: »
    Signed up for Achill- Ballina. Couldn't resist, its on a Sunday and it's great value for the jersey, jacket, lunch and transfers.
    Fingers crossed it won't be TOO wild!

Was hoping to do a few stages of this but time wouldn't allow.

Let us know how you get on and hope you get decent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm trying to swing next Friday off in work to do the final stage. I did another section of the Wild Atlantic Way a few weeks ago and there was a lad from Failte Ireland telling us about this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I have to say the multi-day aspect of this could be very tempting. Would make for a fun few days with a couple of friends. I might pencil it in around the May bank holiday next year.

Registered for Friday spin from roundstone but no confirmation email yet so hope all is good.
    Did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I'm just back from doing Stage 10 from Roundstone to Leenane.
    Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

With heavy rain overnight it looked like it might be a wet and miserable start but the rain had cleared in the morning leaving a glorious, sunny morning in Connemara with the only reminder of the rain being the wet roads.
    About 40-50 of us rolled out from Roundstone with a lead car keeping us pretty much together until the top of the Sky Road. We had fantastic weather with the sun out, fabulous scenery and a friendly, chatty bunch of cyclists.

Organisationally it was a pretty slick operation with the four or five guys involved in organising all very affable and easy to deal with.

After about 70K we stopped for lunch in Letterfrack at the Connemara National Park tearooms and had soup with brown bread and sambos and tea/coffee followed by cakes. It was a nice change having a sit -down meal on a sportive.

After lunch I realised I'd forgotten to refill my water and isotonic bottles only to arrive back out to my bike to find that they'd been filled for me. Now that's service!! :D

Overall it was my most enjoyable sportive this year. I guess the small numbers helps a lot towards that as it felt more friendly and inclusive and also that probably made it easier to manage for the organisers.

I think 3 people are doing the full run of all 17 stages. Quite a lot seem to be doing a run of 2 or 3 stages and more again have done one stage and then come back days later to do another stage.

If you get a chance to do any of the remaining stages I'd highly recommend it. I *think* there's also a deal that if you do two stages you can get your accommodation for the night between the stages and an evening meal for 45 euro.

I believe next year they plan to run the event twice - first in April/May and then again in September. They've treated this year as a test run more or less.

https://vimeo.com/233721876?ref=fb-share&1

I'd say numbers not great.
    Met a few of them coming back towards Kinsale solo on Wednesday.
    Class jersey though

Just on the numbers thing - they were saying that next year the number they're looking to get for the stages will be about 150 so I'd expect that there will never be massive numbers turning out for this event i.e. thousands. It's not really geared for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Just on the numbers thing - they were saying that next year the number they're looking to get for the stages will be about 150 so I'd expect that there will never be massive numbers turning out for this event i.e. thousands. It's not really geared for that.

I thought for the first leg, they have a few more.

Did they do much advertising? Only heard about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Animella wrote: »
    Did you do it?

Ya I made the trip out the Roundstone and joined the cycle. Not long into the cycle one of the road captains started questioning me for not wearing the jersey or jacket, I wasn't aware it was mandatory and am more comfortable in my own gear (it cost enough money!), he kept going on which kinda annoyed me as it was not mentioned that you had to wear these.

Pace was gentle enough with a nice westerly breeze making the first half tough enough. Once on top of the climb at Sky Road we stopped for a photo, if you check the facebook you'll notice me missing as I was not allowed because I didn't have the jersey or jacket on me! Kept a gentle pace then to Letterfrack. Got some soup, sandwiches and cakes with tea and coffee.

After Letterfrack a few of us pushed on back to Leenane with a nice tail wind, the option there was a bus back to the start or stay the night. I had decided already that morning that I'd cycle back to Roundstone which gave a nice loop around Connemara through the Inagh Valley.

The scenery was amazing and has me questioning why the Tour of Connemara stopped going around these roads. Support was very good and bike marshals were at every major junction. Good positive vibe from the cyclist who were from all over the country and good luck to the 3 souls doing the full route.

Smaller numbers would work better so above 150 people would be hard to manage as the small numbers allow all type of riders cycle at there own pace.

I get the advertisement thing but people should be able to wear what they like, I just wanted to ride my bike and enjoy the day but felt the jersey/jacket carry on was unnecessary.

Thanks at1withmyself. I guess they are really trying to push advertising with the jerseys. Glad you enjoyed it and that the food and support was good.
    Have to say I only heard about the event during the week too. If I'd known about it earlier I might have trained for it! I should get around but it's longer than I'm used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I believe next year they plan to run the event twice - first in April/May and then again in September. They've treated this year as a test run more or less.

Yes, I was told this too. Specific dates were actually mentioned.
    As mentioned in another post, the number of cyclist on the event is planned to increase significantly. Registration charges also expected to rise. So grab the good value this time if you can. (BTW I'm not connected with the organisors.)

In the first few stages there was a film crew on hand gathering promo material for Failte Ireland. I expect the matching jersey were an important factor in this. Anyway, they looked great in a bunch.

Specific dates were actually mentioned.
    They've put the dates up already on the site - https://wildatlanticwaycyclesportif.ie/irelanduk-cycling-club-early-bird-registration-offer/

At lunch Keith was saying that they expect to be open for registrations early next week for the 2018 Sportif.

This year's deal of two stages plus accommodation, evening meal and breakfast for 90 euro total along with being returned with your bike back to your start point seems crazy good value and I wish I'd known about it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I'm about to sign up for Tuesday to Friday stages... Don't know how I'll get home from Muff without causing too much of a headache though! :-/

EDIT:

Just been chatting with the team online and they can transfer you back to your car on the Saturday... So think I'll be driving up to Donegal! :D

Advertisement