Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I applied for a job and I'm nervous!

Options
  • 24-08-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

This is my first thread so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum!
    I'm 20, finished a level 5 course and I applied for my first actual job. I applied on Monday and I'm so nervous it's affecting my sleep!
    I'm scared I won't even get a call or email back about an interview, and if I do I'm nervous about screwing up.
    How long does it generally take to hear back from a company/store about a possible interview or any news? I'm a regular at this store and It's also extremely helpful if I do get a position as I'm not very social and actually a bit of shut in so it's taking all my courage that I have to apply and it would have a huge boost on my esteem as I love the products they sell!
    Sorry if I babbled a bit, just so nervous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CakeZilla

I would also like to add I have a lot of work experience in different stores - and my most recent one would actually be helpful towards this position!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Welcome to boards! Great news that you've applied for a job. The length of time between applying and them getting back to you can vary. If the job advert had a closing date they won't get back to you until after that.
    Depending on where you live there could be many people applying for the same job, so keep applying for other jobs while you are waiting. In the meantime practice some interview questions with a friend or relation so you are ready for the next stage.

The store had a ad on indeed.ie but it closed about 2 nights ago if I remember correctly, I didn't apply online as a employee in the store told me and I asked a few questions before going to grab a cv and hand it in.
    I would like to apply for other stores, but my issue is I'm afraid of having panic attacks etc as it's incredibly hard to communicate with people unless it's in an environment where I actually know my stuff, I am practicing my questions etc and I feel confident in my answers. :)
    Thanks for your reply too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

It could take a couple of weeks from the closing date. Depending on internal processes you might not hear back for a while, don't let that dishearten you. Just try your best to keep positive, but be keeping an eye out for anything else that might be suitable, no point in having all the eggs in the one basket, keep your options open, but don't worry if you don't hear back straight away.

TG1 wrote: »
    It could take a couple of weeks from the closing date. Depending on internal processes you might not hear back for a while, don't let that dishearten you. Just try your best to keep positive, but be keeping an eye out for anything else that might be suitable, no point in having all the eggs in the one basket, keep your options open, but don't worry if you don't hear back straight away.

Thanks for your comment :) I actually went in the store to make sure my cv was processed just in case and they said they won't be checking cvs till Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

CakeZilla wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment :) I actually went in the store to make sure my cv was processed just in case and they said they won't be checking cvs till Monday.

Leave it now, don't do too much follow up, don't be too eager. Apply for more jobs, get out of the comfort zone. Interviews can be hard, and the anticipation even more so, so try apply for roles, even ones that you don't want, the more interviews you do, the more refined your answers become, and you will be confident and relaxed for the jobs that you actually want. Interviewing is like running a marathon, keep practising and training. Some days will be hard and you'll feel down, but the end effect when the marathon is finished, when you get that job, is exhilarating. Best of luck.

Advertisement