Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does The Irish Media Hate Conor Mcgregor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I wouldn't say its only the media. A lot of the citizenry cannot stomach him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He makes middle ages to older people quite uncomfortable. He's not a diddly-eye Irishman that has this persona of false modesty and playing themselves down. He is a product of Celtic Tiger Ireland. A man that never lived in the begorrah times of feeling insecure and inferior to others.

It's a change of the guard and the old timers are frightened of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

The media tend to be the mouth piece of the general population and in general (outside of his manic fan base) don't have a whole pile of time for him.

Personally i can't stand the fella .. respect his achievements.. but listening to him and listening to others talking about him is like jihad on my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 26 powerjuggler

Many of the Irish National Newspapers have run derogatory stories on Mcgregor. Win, Draw or Lose against Floyd Mayweather, Mcgregor's achievements and quick rise to fame have already given him Legendary status. So what is this all about? If Ireland reached the World Cup Final in Football the team would be worshipped by the press, so why the double standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He's loud and brash and doesn't come across as a nice person

Personally I think it's all an act, he's doing it to build the profile and I turn his cut of the PPV. He can also back it up in the ring. But if you are going down this road you will piss people off. He kind of reminds me of Michael OLeary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

They like to hate him - surely they understand he's just acting, playing a part to put bums on seats. I guess the media do know this and are playing their part too...

It's all just a show, and everyone playing their role - when floyd hands Conor his ass on a plate then we'll see the real Conor - but only after the show is over - then people will warm to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

If he spoke with a country accent and said things like "pull like a dog" and shteak and shpuds" and never actually won anything they'd probably love him and ministers and the fourth estate would be meeting him coming off the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

We're living in a bubble here. The vast majority of the Irish population don't give a shït about Conor McGregor either way. He enters their consciousness in only the most oblique of manners, if at all.

I sat at a table yesterday with six work colleagues , male and female and a variety of ages. Talk of the fight came up, mostly centered around the money being made. I was asked my opinion on the fight, but unanimously they declared mma not a real sport, too barbaric etc.

Regarding the media, their job is to sell content to the public, so that content mirrors the interest of that public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I was watching the carry on with the promotional stuff.

Call me old fashioned - but for two professional guys to be screaming like that so close to each other and the tirade of abuse, would put people off.

I'm not a massive UFC fan. But love any sport and think there has to be at some level an element of respect between 2 guys like that at the top. McGregor has been in the dark ages with some of his lose talk.

He has said so much himself.

He himself seems to have seen that the OTT stuff is catching up with the event and putting his art in a very dark public light.

ooter wrote: »
    If he spoke with a country accent and said things like "pull like a dog" and shteak and shpuds" and never actually won anything they'd probably love him and ministers and the fourth estate would be meeting him coming off the plane.

Yeah ... those lads from cork have achieved nothing !!

Actually they are genuinely nice guys, tell a good story and people warm to them due to their achievements and personalities... McGregor on the other hand is just the total opposite with regards to personality.

Of course there are people who will hang on every word he says and swear he is the second coming .. but most normal people will take one look at the "Fxxx You' suit and ignore him for the clown he wants to be

• Advertisement

Mc Gregor only got this fight/money by mouthing, has worked perfectly so far - why change now?

begbysback wrote: »
    Mc Gregor only got this fight/money by mouthing, has worked perfectly so far - why change now?

Because - he is gone from alternative to mainstream - there is a big difference.

Can you go around calling people F***** and monkey :eek:

He has played his card right for the outcome he wants ... cash and loads of it.

But himself and his supporters shouldn't be questioning why he isn't respected by the general population when he plays those cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

ooter wrote: »

Denigrating the achievements or personalities of other Irish sports people does nothing to raise McGregor's likability, and in unnecessary imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Alot of people haven't heard of him because it's mma. It's on BT sport which people don't want to pay extra for. They don't understand the rules and its on at stupid o clock in the morning.

whippet wrote: »
    He has played his card right for the outcome he wants ... cash and loads of it.

But himself and his supporters shouldn't be questioning why he isn't respected by the general population when he plays those cards

He's playing a game - those who understand know it will be different when the game is over - I get why it's unpopular with some folks, and I would suspect he would too...

He's playing a game - those who understand know it will be different when the game is over - I get why it's unpopular with some folks, and I would suspect he would too...

It is a dangerous game. Yes his sport is a dangerous game. But that does not give you a pass to do anything - money doesn't give you a pass to do or say anything.

I understand the game alright .. but understanding it is different to liking it.

Somehow I don't think he'll retire modestly with his huge bank balance and go working with Christina Nobel ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Why does the Irish media ignore half of the corruption and rubbish that goes on in this country? Because they choose to. Mcgregor is working class who made it big by fighting. Its frowned on by our rich elite overlords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheCatSpangler

He's a skanger, knacker, scumbag, etc. Not my words. He talks with the wrong kind of accent, dresses the wrong way, and so forth.

• Advertisement

Had no trust fund or Daddy didn't set him up with any bushiness connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

irishgeo wrote: »
    Alot of people haven't heard of him because it's mma. It's on BT sport which people don't want to pay extra for. They don't understand the rules and its on at stupid o clock in the morning.

Genuine question, are you being sarcastic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Because it's run by a group of middle class toffee nose hacks who pounce on any opportunity to deride McGregor, and turn the other way when he does something positive, makes history in MMA, or puts Ireland in a positive spin on the world stage. Media bias and all that jazz. Though I have to say, Ryan Tubridy is always very gracious to McGregor, and shoots down fearful cries of 'blood sport' from the diddlie diedle brigade.

Sure, he's not to everyone's taste, that's fine...he's loud, brash, outspoken etc...but what people should realise is, those are massive promotional tools. Ali, Tyson, so many of the big names in combat sports all used those same tools to elevate themselves and become household names. Nice guys finish last in the land of combat sports, certainly where money is concerned.

McGregor knows this, exploits it, and has been wildly successful at it too. I don't think he gives a hoot whether complete strangers on the internet judge him, at the end of the day, the people around him and close to him all know the real him, and stick by him. Judging him for his in camera persona is naive, and keeps people safe in their bubble of ivory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Irish people are begrudgers. Pure & simple.

McGregor in a few short years has reached a level of stardom no other Irish person, not to mind sports person has ever achieved. Is there a more famous/recognisable sports person alive at mo?

He is virtually the face of mma, which whether people like it or not is the fastest growing sport in the world. He has the most famous athletes and sports people in the world posting videos of themselves imitating him on their heavily followed social media accounts.

He has hoards of supporters from every walk of life/ and corner of the globe willing to spend thousands to watch him perform.

He puts on incredible shows inside and outside of the cage/ring. He knows how to promote himself better than anybody I can think of. Whether you like him or not, you know what he is at!!
    The people who follow him closest and the longest realise that most of the brashness is for show, and realise what a decent guy he really is.

And all this from a guy from crumlin, who was an apprentice plumber a few years ago, on the Dole even more recently. A guy who could not be more prouder of where he is from. A guy who constantly puts himself out there to be shot down.
    A guy who kept the same friends/ partners all the way through his rise. Whose family are always the first people he celebrates/mourns with. I could go on on.

The guy is an absolute legend. We are very lucky to have such a star from our small country to follow. I don't think we will ever see the likes of him from Ireland in our lifetime again.

Hopefully wonderfullife sees this soon and gives us another epic post

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

While many seem to want to believe it's due to where he was born it's really to do with his actions.

There have been many people from rough areas who the media love so I think people need to get those chips off their shoulders.

Most of our olympic boxers come from rough areas and it's never a problem. Bernard Dunne is another example who went into the pro game and was treated like a hero. The same goes for soccer and GAA players too.

eurokev wrote: »
    Irish people are begrudgers. Pure & simple.

McGregor in a few short years has reached a level of stardom no other Irish person, not to mind sports person has ever achieved. Is there a more famous/recognisable sports person alive at mo?

He is virtually the face of mma, which whether people like it or not is the fastest growing sport in the world. He has the most famous athletes and sports people in the world posting videos of themselves imitating him on their heavily followed social media accounts.

He has hoards of supporters from every walk of life/ and corner of the globe willing to spend thousands to watch him perform.

He puts on incredible shows inside and outside of the cage/ring. He knows how to promote himself better than anybody I can think of. Whether you like him or not, you know what he is at!!
    The people who follow him closest and the longest realise that most of the brashness is for show, and realise what a decent guy he really is.

And all this from a guy from crumlin, who was an apprentice plumber a few years ago, on the Dole even more recently. A guy who could not be more prouder of where he is from. A guy who constantly puts himself out there to be shot down.
    A guy who kept the same friends/ partners all the way through his rise. Whose family are always the first people he celebrates/mourns with. I could go on on.

The guy is an absolute legend. We are very lucky to have such a star from our small country to follow. I don't think we will ever see the likes of him from Ireland in our lifetime again.

Hopefully wonderfullife sees this soon and gives us another epic post

I dont know about this begrudge thing that keeps coming up.Why is it supposedly an Irish thing? Can you just not like someone without being called a begrudger? I hate Bono for example. i think he is an insufferable arsehole . That is all. Nothing more nothing less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

there are loads f working class people who have been very successful in sport and there's never any problem. to say it's just cos of where he's from is head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

CatFromHue wrote: »
    While many seem to want to believe it's due to where he was born it's really to do with his actions.

There have been many people from rough areas who the media love so I think people need to get those chips off their shoulders.

Most of our olympic boxers come from rough areas and it's never a problem. Bernard Dunne is another example who went into the pro game and was treated like a hero. The same goes for soccer and GAA players too.

Dunne also had humility and modesty and carried himself with a bit of class on his way to a world title in the same 'combat sport' sphere McGregor is in.

He surely made a few quid in his day but we never had pictures of him standing on a rented Rolls Royce and poncing about in a private jet.

Same with Harrington, O Driscoll, O Connell, O Sullivan etc. All reached the top of their respective sports and carried themselves with dignity and class. No one ever begrudged them their success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You can't have a proper discussion about McGregor. There are legitimate criticisms about his behaviour to be made, but if you make them you're a begrudger or are thumbing your nose at the working class.

• Advertisement

So because I don't like a fella who wears a suit with '**** you' all over it I'm a silver spooned middle class snob?

The stereotyping that is been done by McGregor fans is bizarre. Massive chips on shoulders.

Advertisement