Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does The Irish Media Hate Conor Mcgregor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Which is absolutely fine.

My argument is thus: Why does it take an American (admittedly Emmy award winning) sportscaster to crack that persona? Why does the Irish Media hate Conor, as per the thread title? Why could an Irish mainstream journalist not do this, and push and celebrate the actual Conor, and show that it's not the suits or bling watches that make him successful, but rather his work ethic and his desire to be successful that makes him successful.

But that might take some work, and the lazy, easy option suits them.

Yes he works hard, that doesn't mean he's not an assh*le. Plenty of hard workers are assh*les too, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

McGregor behaves like an assh*le so people think he's an assh*le. It's not rocket science really, a lot of people aren't interested enough to think about it in any further detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mdwexford wrote: »
    Try and educate yourself a bit if you are going to comment.

I don't get the logic here. What has "education" got to do with some not thinking Conor to be interesting?

If I said I find him obnoxious and arrogant and not remotely interesting, why would I need to educate myself?

Would it not be more you needing to educate yourself on how to reply with some sort of logic?

If I claimed Conor lost 5 times in the octagon I could understand that kind of reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ooter wrote: »
    If you took the first 2 words out of that quote you could easily be talking about a rugby player.

I just have to base it on my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why does the chap not speak in his native Dublin accent instead of sounding like someone with an acquired brain injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

walshb wrote: »
    I don't get the logic here. What has "education" got to do with some not thinking Conor to be interesting?

If I said I find him obnoxious and arrogant and not remotely interesting, why would I need to educate myself?

Would it not be more you needing to educate yourself on how to reply with some sort of logic?

If I claimed Conor lost 5 times in the octagon I could understand that kind of reply.

If you replace the word "educate" with "brainwash" then you probably will have a clearer understanding of what McGregor fanatics are trying to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Remember just because you find him interesting doesn't mean everyonr else has to.

Every time I've heard him speak he's been unbeleivably obnoxious.

Why has he acted like such a jackass in the build up to the fight or in the build up to the fight against Aldo aswell.

if you act like he does beleive it or not a lot of people aren't going to like him because of it.

Whether you find him obnoxious or not he certainly is not boring.

He talks so much trash to sell pay per views. He is very good at this and has made himself rich by doing so.

His mouth is a big part of why he is so famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He talks so much trash to sell pay per views. He is very good at this and has made himself rich by doing so.

I find him boring.

I find trash talk in general boring, it's tedious having to listen to any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

You dont need to be an arsehole to sell fights, just look at Joshua and Klitzkou, they sell out fights easy without being like that.
    But without this persona Conor has created he would just be another run of the mill fighter on UFC roster.  He is not a really exciting fighter, he no ground game compared to others and not even the best pound for pound in his sport.
    So its like he needs this aresehold persona cause scratch under the surface, he doesnt have much else

Why does the chap not speak in his native Dublin accent instead of sounding like someone with an acquired brain injury?

He does speak in his Dublin accent. You can catch it when he is relaxed and interacting with fellow dubs.

The accentuated accent. I never understood this. Even for the sake of clarity. It's strange. I don't think he needs to force it near as much as he does.

Whether someone is boring or not is completely subjective, so neither you nor the other poster can be correct on this.

You mention his trash-talk as an example of him not being boring, whereas I find that to be the most boring thing about him. It's so transparent that it is dull, the only people I can imagine being interested in that stuff are the type of people who read celebrity gossip. It's just uninteresting.

I don't find McGregor boring, but primarily because of his career trajectory and what he has done in the octagon. Sports reasons really, he's definitely not boring in the ring.

• Advertisement

Please, tell me that folks here aren't using the contrived acted OTT trash talking as something that should be interesting about Conor? Are we that desperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

A lot has to do with his 'northside' characture/stereotype. Outside of Ireland the persona and mouth is funny.

Within Ireland it's a source of annoyance. Is he gonna mug me or start a fight. I'm always wary of people like that. Generally dismissed as wretched little skangers.

Possibly unfair as I believe he is playing a game too and fair play to his success

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anon19008

I think it has more to do with engaging with an American audience. You see a lot of the Irish WWE wrestlers do it too. After fights, when he's interviewed by Joe Rogan, the accent comes out strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Please, tell me that folks here aren't using the contrived acted OTT trash talking as something that should be interesting about Conor? Are we that desperate?

It must be because I don't see much else going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Which is absolutely fine.

My argument is thus: Why does it take an American (admittedly Emmy award winning) sportscaster to crack that persona? Why does the Irish Media hate Conor, as per the thread title? Why could an Irish mainstream journalist not do this, and push and celebrate the actual Conor, and show that it's not the suits or bling watches that make him successful, but rather his work ethic and his desire to be successful that makes him successful.

But that might take some work, and the lazy, easy option suits them.

Did RTE not make a 6 part series on him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's more down to the US audience understanding him I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dantian

What about when he lost to Joe Duffy or Artemji Sitenkov?? Was he a loser then?? They aren't huge names!!

I love how weirdly selective you are being in trying to find a way for me to be dissing McGregor. Everything I've said has been in support of him.

I respect his business savvy more than his fighting, because he's generated a persona that makes him entertaining to watch and worth paying for regardless if he wins or loses.

So regardless if he wins or loses the fight from a sports perspective he, as a person wins because he's made his money, increased his public status, put himself back in the papers and secured a reputation for himself beyond the ring. He's an entertainer more than a sportsman these days, and this isn't a bad thing. Its great to see the Irishman doing the right thing and winning at that game rather than being the poor sucker with the quick hands who gets his **** kicked in while somone else makes money from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

cletus wrote: »
    George Foreman got rich playing football...George Foreman the professional boxer.

I am officially done with this thread

This thread is full of inaccuracies. He became rich from playing the ukulele not football and then made a packet selling his lean mean fat grilling machine. His name was Formby not Foreman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The latest Beats by Dre advert has a bunch of young Dublin lads talking in their natural accent.

It's had to be subtitled, for the wider world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

This thread is full of inaccuracies. He became rich from playing the ukulele not football and then made a packet selling his lean mean fat grilling machine. His name was Formby not Foreman.

Actually I have to correct you there, George Formby was a different lad altogether. George Foreman became rich by inventing the job of building site supervisor, and invented a grill because he spent so much time in the canteen complaining about the useless apprentices.

• Advertisement

Dantian wrote: »
    George Forman got rich playing football - he became wealthy putting his name on those grills.

If this isn't the best post I've read on boards then I don't know what is. That it was posted on a boxing/MMA thread just makes it even more delicious. It's not often that I cry when reading a forum post.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

He does speak in his Dublin accent. You can catch it when he is relaxed and interacting with fellow dubs.

The accentuated accent. I never understood this. Even for the sake of clarity. It's strange. I don't think he needs to force it near as much as he does.
    He does it so the US media can understand him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

kilns wrote: »
    You dont need to be an arsehole to sell fights, just look at Joshua and Klitzkou, they sell out fights easy without being like that.
    But without this persona Conor has created he would just be another run of the mill fighter on UFC roster.  He is not a really exciting fighter, he no ground game compared to others and not even the best pound for pound in his sport.
    So its like he needs this aresehold persona cause scratch under the surface, he doesnt have much else

Klitschko never cracked the US ppv market. And his gentleman image is completely contrived. He's a dirtbag.

ScornfulPoshAntarcticfurseal-max-1mb.gif

Imagine the response on here if McGregor tried to nut Floyd when things weren't going his way.

He does it so the US media can understand him

I know this. I just think that he over cooks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Klitschko never cracked the US ppv market. And his gentleman image is completely contrived. He's a dirtbag.

ScornfulPoshAntarcticfurseal-max-1mb.gif

Imagine the response on here if McGregor tried to nut Floyd when things weren't going his way.
    A dirtbag?  Please elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

His persona, if is a persona and not just the way he is normally, is not very likeable. Its brash and foulmouthed, I don't think anyone who saw the pre-fight tour could disagree with that. 'Dance for me boy', '**** the Mayweathers' etc.
    No surprise the media don't like him or aren't partisan towards him as they normally are towards successful Irish sportspeople. If McGregor had a personality like Andy Lee or Frampton the media and the public would love him, but he has made his millions doing it this way and I'm sure it doesn't bother him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My young lad was in crumlin Hosptial a while back when Conor made a vist...no cameras no huge Entourage, he was one of the most down to earth guys you could meet. Had time for everyone signed autographs and loads of pictures taken, he played with the kids and spoke to them not at them like some people do..
    It was huge morale boost for a lot of the children and a memory they will always have..
    The Connor McGregor we see on the TV and at press conferences is a brand, a brand he has made a huge success using...
    People really should realise a lot of it is acting pure and simple.. I always watched his fights and never had a problem with him...but the Connor McGregor who made my very sick son laugh and forget about his troubles for a few minutes that day is who I believe is the real Connor McGregor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Even the UFC isn't that barbaric.

D.Q wrote: »
    Even the UFC isn't that barbaric.

Sounds more like a move that would be used in The George.

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »
    Sounds more like a move that would be used in The George.

And 'Comment From the Closet of the Year' goes to...

Advertisement