Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin location in an estate

Options
  • 24-08-2017 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi
    Here's my issue:
    I live in a ground-floor level (garden) apartment in a gated estate. The (collective) bins are located in a wooden / shed type house that is located 5 meters away from my window.
    It always smells (even a little) and when the weather is warm it's even worse.

I asked the Property Management to have the bins cleaned, which has been done (not very well to be honest!). But I want to ask that they move them to a different location (which means building another shed.)

So what I need is to know if there is a law or a text that outlines the minimum standard for a "bin / waste shed" regarding hygiene, location, cleaning etc ?
    I'd like to come to the Property Mgt meeting with a request I can back up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Hi
    Here's my issue:
    I live in a ground-floor level (garden) apartment in a gated estate. The (collective) bins are located in a wooden / shed type house that is located 5 meters away from my window.

I asked the Property Management to have the bins cleaned, which has been done (not very well to be honest!). But I want to ask that they move them to a different location (which means building another shed.)

So what I need is to know if there is a law or a text that outlines the minimum standard for a "bin / waste shed" regarding hygiene, location, cleaning etc ?
    I'd like to come to the Property Mgt meeting with a request I can back up.

Thanks

One assumes the bin store was built in accordance with the planning application and subsequent permission?

I doubt it's as easy as just moving it unfortunately! You can't move or take parking spaces away without major issues in relation to title docs etc. You can't lose Green space without replacing it. There's a huge cost in that.

Do you own the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 buyandsell2010

hi
    thanks for your reply
    Yes I own the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

hi
    thanks for your reply
    Yes I own the apartment.

It's an unfortunate situation. I've never heard of laws in relation to minimum distance and I assume that it was built in line with planning regs.

I doubt your fellow owners will be too likely to agree to extra costs to move it if that's even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Location of bins would have bring covered under the planning application, moving them would require additional planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Our bin sheds (we have two) are 2m from dwellings. While they are concrete, especially when warm, there can be a slight smell. The sheds are cleaned fully 3-4 times a year - bins removed and power washed, shed power washed, disinfectant used, shed power washed again. This helps for a while, but is never a solution.

While it is an annoyance for you, I can't see how the management company can do a whole lot, without major costs or even inconvenience for someone else. Where do you want them to move the bin shed to? Outside someone else's home?

I'm not sure I've seen specific requirements for bin shed distance from a dwelling, but either way, the bin sheds would have been located there as part of the planning permission for the development, and any move would require new planning permission, which can be a hassle and an expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement