Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lunch/dinner in Limerick

• 24-08-2017 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Apologies for mentioning 'that' word in August, but apparently it books up well in advance, so I have to ask now.
    Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone out for Christmas lunch/dinner and if so, is there anywhere you'd recommend?
    I looked at Castletroy Park, but it's €125 pp which I thought was a bit steep. I know anywhere isn't going to be cheap, but that just seemed like a lot.
    A friend of mine and her family went to the Strand last year and none of them were particularly impressed. She showed me some photos of the food and 'miniscule portions' is about the best way of describing it, so probably not there either.
    It doesn't have to be Limerick city, Clare/Tipperary might be an option too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My parents and uncle and aunt are going to Dunraven this year and no its not cheap, but the package is quite good, they're staying the three nights I think too. Hotel only open for the residents though. Might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm just looking for lunch/dinner really, not an overnight stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

The food in the Savoy is excellent.

Had my work's Christmas party there last year and everything was great; they do a traditional Christmas roast but rather than have it laid on the plate in the normal way, it's all in one carefully arranged mass in the middle of the plate (think a layered trifle but with turkey, ham, spuds, carrots, etc).

Higly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Freddie's Bistro is very good and it might be a good idea to do the bookings right now. They are very busy right before Christmas and I couldn't get anything there at a decent time they had some openings at weird times because of cancellations. The food is terrific and the portions are okay not gigantic but fair right on the spot of what a normal person would eat. Might be a bit pricey but considering the level of the food and portions I thought it was priced correctly and definitely was not 125pp

But you might want to approach them now for a booking and they will ask you for a deposit. They had cancellations completely out of the blue from people that had not paid a deposit and didn't even bother calling them about it so they started to ask for deposits because of that. The rest of the year they don't ask so long as it's not a period like Christmas.

Ah sorry, I should have specified a bit more. I meant actually on Christmas day itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Rhubarb crumble. I had Christmas dinner last year in the Greenhills and I enjoyed it being honest. Not amazing for the price you pay. I booked again this year in castletroy park which is supposed to be lovely.

maryk123 wrote: »
    Rhubarb crumble. I had Christmas dinner last year in the Greenhills and I enjoyed it being honest. Not amazing for the price you pay. I booked again this year in castletroy park which is supposed to be lovely.

I've been to functions there before and absolutely agree that the food was excellent. I just thought the price was very steep, but I suppose you get what you pay for,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I was in the Radisson recently for lunch. I saw signs about booking for Christmas day lunch but nothing about prices.

Advertisement