Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2017

Options
  • 24-08-2017 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Anyone else on for this? I did it 5 years ago or so and it is a great race. I am a little biased as I lived there for 9 years back in the 90's and married a Valenciana. The website is good and their promoting of the race is unbelievable.
    http://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/en/marathon/marathon10k/

Flat and fast, slight chance the weather will be warm but mostly ok that time of year - and I think they've brought the starting time forward 30 minutes.

I love the timing of the event cos it gives me a bit of time to get over the Summer drinking/eating/chilling season and get my as$ in some sort of shape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Looks delightful and bit of sun would be nice at that time of year. Unfortunately the date clashes with my plan to do a few laps of Sixmilebridge at the Eddie Murphy memorial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Had a look at few youtube vids last night and it does look good. A possibility for the future ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Done it a couple of time. Fantastic city, great marathon with pb potential but it can get hot and windy.

Highly recommend it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Coincidentally spotted someone wearing a t-shirt from this very marathon at parkrun this morning! Was that a sign or something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Coincidentally spotted someone wearing a t-shirt from this very marathon at parkrun this morning! Was that a sign or something ;)

Coincidentally wore my old Valencia Marathon T shirt this morning for a jog.

Two signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I'll be there too. Ran it two years ago and loved it. Flat as a pancake. Starting earlier these days as well, so that helps with avoiding the worst of any potential heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Wouldn't mind giving this a bash- how accessible is it with flights?

sideswipe wrote: »

Not too bad, you can go with Iberia from Dublin to Madrid and onto Valencia or get the bullet train down.

Ryanair also fly into Madrid and they are usually reasonably priced..

Great marathon and if I wasn't the size of a fatted calf I'd give this another bash.

TbL

Don't know where you're based SS but don't forget airports like Alicante or Reus either. But as TBL says either connect to get to Valencia or one of Madrid/Barcelona and train would be best.

As you can see, I'm hoping to have a small Boards group so we can meet for a jar after.

TBL, not interested in flying in for the old 10k, are ya?

Itziger wrote: »
    Don't know where you're based SS but don't forget airports like Alicante or Reus either. But as TBL says either connect to get to Valencia or one of Madrid/Barcelona and train would be best.

As you can see, I'm hoping to have a small Boards group so we can meet for a jar after.

Bit far for a 10k but a slow marathon as a long run...

TbL

• Advertisement

Cheers Itziger, I'd be heading out of Dublin but seeing as it's comparable to San Seb in terms of access I think I'd favour that (more time to train etc).
    Having said that and having done a lot of thinking about the 'Half marathon predictor' thread, I'm tempted to train hard and give the Waterford half a good lash in early December......decisions, decisions!!

Cheers Itziger, I'd be heading out of Dublin but seeing as it's comparable to San Seb in terms of access I think I'd favour that (more time to train etc).
    Having said that and having done a lot of thinking about the 'Half marathon predictor' thread, I'm tempted to train hard and give the Waterford half a good lash in early December......decisions, decisions!!

Was thinking of doing Waterford as well SS, just to see where I'm at. Racing a marathon this year is probably a bit too soon but I'm hoping to be in shape in early 2018

TbL

Good stuff TbL, supposed to be a great race, sells out every year too so get your registration in!

Good stuff TbL, supposed to be a great race, sells out every year too so get your registration in!

Just entered it there :)

What will you be hoping to run?

I might be able to provide wind breaking protection for a couple of miles :)

TbL

Just entered it there :)

What will you be hoping to run?

I might be able to provide wind breaking protection for a couple of miles :)

TbL

I'll be hoping for 1:27 or so I think. Doing Charleville Sunday week- if that goes well I might push on and give Dublin a good rattle. If (as I suspect) I'm ****e, I might just focus on running a decent half in Waterford before turning my attention to London for a sub 3 attempt.
    I sure you'll be back flying come December, looks like your making great progress on the auld log anyway, fair play.

Well folks I'm in Valencia for the week and got in a long training run here today. Incredible set up. A few clubs get together and organise the run with different pace groups and so on. 800 or so did it!!! Water handed out en route and some snacks at the finish. All free. Best I have seen in that department. I said I'd go at 4.30 pace and I did but picked it up for the last 6k. Very, very happy with the run. 36k total with the w/u and c/d. It was a bit warm folks so we'll need that to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

jon-snow-200x300.jpg

Back from a week long reccy mission to Valencia. Weather, kinda warm. We could do with it being a bit cooler or at least cloudier cos I find the direct sunlight gets to me after a while, doesn't have to be boiling or anything. I got out at close to race time start most days and by the end I was beginning to feel the heat, though I didn't get any 3 hour runs in! One fantastic training run mind. Seemingly a few clubs get together and organize long runs. The one I did was 30k with pacing groups and water stations and what not. I've seen much worse races ffs, and this was free. A great idea and I used it to test the old body cos I'm not really sure where I am after recent minor problems. The running scene in Valencia right now is incredible; on Wed November 1st I was back down on the old river bed for a jog and if I saw 1 runner I saw a thousand. I also selflessly did a bit of research for all Boardsies in the post race refreshment scene. Happy to say the craft beer world is as vibrant as the athletic one in the city. I have some serious contenders for evening session - all within a 150 metre range and all within 100 metresof the Mercado Central. More details to follow. Jeez, there were some nice brews amongst the ones I tasted. Immediate post race will be more challenging I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Back from a week long reccy mission to Valencia. Weather, kinda warm. We could do with it being a bit cooler or at least cloudier cos I find the direct sunlight gets to me after a while, doesn't have to be boiling or anything. I got out at close to race time start most days and by the end I was beginning to feel the heat, though I didn't get any 3 hour runs in! One fantastic training run mind. Seemingly a few clubs get together and organize long runs. The one I did was 30k with pacing groups and water stations and what not. I've seen much worse races ffs, and this was free. A great idea and I used it to test the old body cos I'm not really sure where I am after recent minor problems. The running scene in Valencia right now is incredible; on Wed November 1st I was back down on the old river bed for a jog and if I saw 1 runner I saw a thousand. I also selflessly did a bit of research for all Boardsies in the post race refreshment scene. Happy to say the craft beer world is as vibrant as the athletic one in the city. I have some serious contenders for evening session - all within a 150 metre range and all within 100 metresof the Mercado Central. More details to follow. Jeez, there were some nice brews amongst the ones I tasted. Immediate post race will be more challenging I'd say.

Must be the theme in Spain so Itizi, Barcelona in March had a bar less than 400 m from finish with 40 craft beers on tap, only unfortunate thing is I never got to sample them all.

Fierce fancy T-shirt they got for us. It's off white with a few gold bands..... but...... when it gets wet (from sweat) the course outline becomes visible! These lads put a lot of thinking into the T. (Probably too much, but hey)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I saw you were in Valencia and thought you’d turned pro with a 3 week build up on-site so to speak.

I saw you were in Valencia and thought you’d turned pro with a 3 week build up on-site so to speak.

Hehe, visiting the in-laws and got in a couple of great training spins. Thing is I'm not really in a position to attack this race given my long runs have been absent from training! One over 30k if you include WU and CD.

What a city for running though. Jeez, there's thousands of the buggers chugging along in the old river bed every morning. The weekends are crazy altogether.

Looks like we might be lucky with weather though it's still a bit early. This coming Sunday it's saying a max of 24 but that's down to 20 for race day. Minimums are also dropping, so fingers crossed.

Diablo Verde, are you the only other Boadsie doing this? I hope to fawk you like a beer or two. Otherwise I'll be crying into me glass on me lonelio.

Fierce fancy T-shirt they got for us. It's off white with a few gold bands..... but...... when it gets wet (from sweat) the course outline becomes visible! These lads put a lot of thinking into the T. (Probably too much, but hey)

Lol

If I was wearing it and it got wet, with my lumpy curves the route would look very hilly indeed.

Bit jealous of anyone doing this, superb event

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pipers loop

Hehe, visiting the in-laws and got in a couple of great training spins. Thing is I'm not really in a position to attack this race given my long runs have been absent from training! One over 30k if you include WU and CD.

What a city for running though. Jeez, there's thousands of the buggers chugging along in the old river bed every morning. The weekends are crazy altogether.

Looks like we might be lucky with weather though it's still a bit early. This coming Sunday it's saying a max of 24 but that's down to 20 for race day. Minimums are also dropping, so fingers crossed.

Diablo Verde, are you the only other Boadsie doing this? I hope to fawk you like a beer or two. Otherwise I'll be crying into me glass on me lonelio.

3 thirsty lads here heading over to Valencia marathon . Looking forward to weekend . What's the best way to get from Alicante airport to Valencia ? Thanks for all the info on thread so far

3 thirsty lads here heading over to Valencia marathon . Looking forward to weekend . What's the best way to get from Alicante airport to Valencia ? Thanks for all the info on thread so far

Welcome. Train looks like the best option. Faster and slightly cheaper than bus. You'd want to book though. Didn't check if it was available from airport though.

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/home.do?c=_bvIZ&back=true

On for a few jars on Sunday evening then? I'll post up a suggestion or two during the week.

What times are you lads looking to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pipers loop

Must get train sorted...thanks for link. I'm hoping to give sub3 a lash again but it's a few years since last marathon and going to also use the age excuse, O50. Other lads of same vintage and hoping for 3.45 . Regardless of times we intend to enjoy Valencia . Staying in fairly central location so anywhere for Sunday evening beers should suit.

The last time we flew into Alicante for this, we rented a car and drove up. Worked out cheaper than paying for three bus/train tickets, and meant we could drive straight to the expo.

On for a few jars on Sunday evening then? I'll post up a suggestion or two during the week.

What times are you lads looking to run?

There’ll be a few of us over, but I’m the only one doing the marathon. Others doing the 10k. Anything quicker than my PB (3:10ish) and I’ll be happy, althoug I’ve been struggling with a few niggles this week.

I’m sure we’ll all be Thirsty afterwards.

This is one of the places I was thinking about. I'll get onto them and double check Sunday evening times.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187529-d8329205-Reviews-Tyris_On_Tap-Valencia_Province_of_Valencia_Valencian_Country.html

• Advertisement

Time for a weather update surely, no?? The overnight temps are fairly low which is good news so the start should definitely be coolish. Saying about 10 degrees for 8am on one site with a high of 20. Hopefully that's more 2 o clock than 11. If we could get the run done in 12 to 17 degrees say, I'd be very happy.

Advertisement