Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 500 GPS drift

Options
  • 24-08-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I've had an edge 500 for about 4 years and to date it's been a robust piece of kit. The battery never seems to run out and it does pretty much everything I need. Over the years I've noticed that it sometimes loses satellite signal in heavily wooded areas (e.g. Devils Glen) but in open areas it always tracks pretty much 100%. Lately however I have noticed that my rides are showing less and less GPS accuracy. When I zoom down to the ride detail I can see the tracking points are very spread out and often all over the road or even off it. This morning on my commute to work it had me in various fields and even in the Dargle River! It suggests that the GPS receiver inside in the device is in some way defective, either that or the firmware has a bug. Has anyone out there seen anything like this? I wonder if it is a known long term reliability issue with the Edge 500.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Satellite Page
    The satellite page shows your current
    GPS satellite information. To view the
    satellite page, press and hold MENU,
    and select GPS > Satellite.

Grab a couple photos from your phone of that screen when out and about. Will suggest if its a RXing enough sats.

Advertisement