Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop and monitor donation

Options
  • 24-08-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭

Very good chance I'm going to have a spare desktop PC and monitor (bought in 2009 and upgraded it to Windows 10 last year) lying around and would rather it gone. Is there any charity shops around that may take it ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Place behind McDonald's seems to pretty much take anything but do ask around

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

To be sure you do not inadvertently leave any personal or business data in the PC you should consider wiping the HDD and reinstalling the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

To be sure you do not inadvertently leave any personal or business data in the PC you should consider wiping the HDD and reinstalling the OS.

I done a factory reset tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

This isn't going to be overly helpful but we got a leaflet in the door recently from a local charity looked for unused pcs/monitors etc. Only problem is I can't remember now which charity it was..... maybe someone else will have received it too and might remember!

Cheers for the suggestions guys the PC is now completely ****ed since the reset so it's going to the dump lol

Its Some size though compared to whats around nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestions guys the PC is now completely ****ed since the reset so it's going to the dump lol

Oxfam in town take computers. They also have a guy who will be able to fix them before they sell them so might be worth trying them before you throw it out

That does not seem right ........ the OS is probably knackered but the PC is just as good as it was, unless something happened to the hardware.

It is not a big deal to wipe that HDD (ensuring all your files are properly wiped) and put a fresh OS on it.

EDIT: You might offer it for collection to anyone interested rather than dumping it
    http://www.adverts.ie/free-stuff?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Free+Stuff

That does not seem right ........ the OS is probably knackered but the PC is just as good as it was, unless something happened to the hardware.

It is not a big deal to wipe that HDD (ensuring all your files are properly wiped) and put a fresh OS on it.

EDIT: You might offer it for collection to anyone interested rather than dumping it
    http://www.adverts.ie/free-stuff?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Free+Stuff

The pc loads up fine and after the 'welcome' screen nothing comes up ???

The pc loads up fine and after the 'welcome' screen nothing comes up ???

Seems to be just a software (operating system) problem.
    Wiping the HDD and reinstalling an operating system should have it going again.
    Do you have the hardware specifications for it?

I done a factory reset tonight

Factory reset doesn't mean your data is gone, it just basically means its ready to be recycled. If someone buys the pc and uses a program like recuva or something they can easily recover your data. Just put a hole through the HDD and donate the rest of the pc.

• Advertisement

Factory reset doesn't mean your data is gone, it just basically means its ready to be recycled. If someone buys the pc and uses a program like recuva or something they can easily recover your data. Just put a hole through the HDD and donate the rest of the pc.

Oh gosh!

Why destroy hardware unnecessarily? Terribly wasteful.

Just write zeros to the complete disk and pass on the PC, or if you want to be nice, reinstall the OS afterwards.

Oh gosh!

Why destroy hardware unnecessarily? Terribly wasteful.

Just write zeros to the complete disk and pass on the PC, or if you want to be nice, reinstall the OS afterwards.

Yeah you could just nuke the HDD with data but I am assuming most people don't know how to do that, therefore its easier to just tell people to just destroy the HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Very good chance I'm going to have a spare desktop PC and monitor (bought in 2009 and upgraded it to Windows 10 last year) lying around and would rather it gone. Is there any charity shops around that may take it ???

This PC is absolutely 100 % suitable for operating in any small business today . Remember we are now in the age of Cloud Computing and it is very easy to network this to any Windows Server 2012 for example .

Up to recently I had a 2003 Windows XP running perfect connected to a Cloud running one of these servers .

If I was you I would turn on the computer and tap F8 repeatedly until it enters safe mode and return it to a previous date .

Advertisement