Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyces take over Nestors supermarkets

Options
  • 25-08-2017 2:54am

I feel sorry for those living in Fr Griffin Rd and Ballybane. I have been subjected to Joyces prices for many years in Tuam and Athenry. Oranmore and Doughiska are not too bad as there is existing competition.

Expect RG Data to pop up if there's any hint of new competition appearing to those stores too

http://connachttribune.ie/joyces-supermarket-group-to-buy-nestors-galway-stores-990/
    Joyce’s Supermarket Group is set to buy all four Nestor supermarkets in Galway.

Nestor’s supermarkets, which are currently in receivership, comprise Super Valu stores at Fr. Griffin Road, Oranmore and Ballybane and Centra in Doughiska.

Joyces was established in 1951 and has stores in Headford, Athenry, Tuam, Indreabhán and Knocknacarra.

Once the proposed transaction is complete, the four Galway Nestor stores will be re-branded under the Joyce’s name.

Joyce’s said it will work with employees at the Nestor stores and additional career and promotion opportunities will be available to new and existing staff.

The deal will have to be approved by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I half agree with you.
    It's already being discussed in the opening/closing thread.
    The city SuperValu's were no angels either though. I'm out the country these days and most things in the local SV are about 15% cheaper than I used to pay in Fr Griffin.

The pubs here are pulling the pee though but that's for another thread/forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I make the extra effort and go to Aldi or Lidl . There's a thread for each in the food forum do I always know what's getting good reviews .

Joyce's in knocknacara is a seldom special treat for that amazing pizza or deli. I've gone off super valu over the last 3 years , I found the father griffin road one to be expensive for run of the mill stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

how come there isnt even a super value in athenry , does joyce have photos of the entire planning section of galway county council or what ?

Was a centra near the arch, became a mace, all Musgrave brands, closed bout two months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Lidl and Aldi both applied for planning permission

Joyce (RGDATA) objected to both & they were shelved

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I don't think this is good for consumers. Although, SuperValu used to be expensive compared to other supermarkets, I think their value, offers and product offering has improved a lot in recent years IMO.

Joyce's are very expensive and some of their "deals" are dodgy at best. Very expensive for fresh fruit and veg also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly can't understand how the SV in Oranmore was even viable. A tiny, cramped store competing with Tesco, Lidl and Aldi in a 500m radius. They had a great meat counter to be fair but as an actual supermarket, it was horrible....but it seemed to be continuously packed.

It was there before any of the other 3 so had built up a customer base

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Personally, I thought some of the prices in Nestors on Fr Griffin Rd was a bit up there as it is BUT in general, there are few bits and pieces that I would prefer to pick up at a SuperValu. I can't say the same for Joyces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Lidl and Aldi both applied for planning permission

Joyce (RGDATA) objected to both & they were shelved

One of them was not shelved (the one near the community hall in the current co-op site, they got their Planning permission. The co-op have to have their permission accepted on another site to move before the shop can be built.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

I got a supervalu 15% off your shopping card in the post.
    Covers all their outlets in Co. Galway until 03/12. Limited to a €500 spend per month too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

etselbbuns wrote: »
    I got a supervalu 15% off your shopping card in the post.
    Covers all their outlets in Co. Galway until 03/12. Limited to a €500 spend per month too.

Same, a desperate measure to hold some of their customers, won't be using mine as the closest ones to the city are Barna and Moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Same, a desperate measure to hold some of their customers, won't be using mine as the closest ones to the city are Barna and Moycullen.

Can you use it online? I heard someone say Barna is possibly going to start the online delivery service. Could be nice to have 15% off before Christmas.

Can you use it online? I heard someone say Barna is possibly going to start the online delivery service. Could be nice to have 15% off before Christmas.
    Yep. 15% off expensive prices though?
    Best thing is to donate to someone in one of the county towns that have Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laoch'Rione

Joyces milk has a horrible pungent taste to it. They need to sort it out.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And Loughrea and Gort. The Loughrea one is a seriously well laid out store I must say. I think it might be worth the spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Joyces milk has a horrible pungent taste to it. They need to sort it out.:(

It's arrabawn milk I think

Claregalway is probably the handiest from the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Very surprised they did not win the battle to takeover the Nestors outlets, big loss to the brand in Galway

Noticed on Supervalu.ie Barna are delivering to Galway. €5 charge. Anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Noticed on Supervalu.ie Barna are delivering to Galway. €5 charge. Anyone confirm?

I just had a look in the app there. I'm in the west of the city. Looks like Supervalu Moycullen are delivering now from the site.

Oh and looks like you get 15 euro off a spend of 75 again! I hope the usual supervalu delivery guy got the delivery job out there, he was such a nice man.

• Advertisement

Looks like Joyces mouthpiece, RGdata, are now trying to block Lidl's expansion in Tuam, No surprise really, he utilises that group whenever he wants to stifle competition.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/238517/431340.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/238517/431341.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Could anyone tell me if Joyce's have taken over the SuperValu stores yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For a few months now. All the signage has been changed and everything.

At least 6 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

It looks as if the takeover has been a disaster. The supermarket is half empty, as is the carpark. SuperValu had a few things going for it, namely a good meat/fish counter. I won't be buying there again, I could see the embarrassment on the butchers face yesterday as he sturggled to find decent cuts for me. I've been buying from him for years. I can't see them recover, people have left and they won't be coming back anytime soon.

They've massively improved the old nestors Ballybane, better layout, increased range of products, pricing roughly the same/cheaper. All good really. Shop is as busy as ever by the looks of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

It looks as if the takeover has been a disaster. The supermarket is half empty, as is the carpark. SuperValu had a few things going for it, namely a good meat/fish counter. I won't be buying there again, I could see the embarrassment on the butchers face yesterday as he sturggled to find decent cuts for me. I've been buying from him for years. I can't see them recover, people have left and they won't be coming back anytime soon.

which one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Which shop?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

They may well have lost customers in certain departments but by god have they gained them in the off licence, a highly profitable department.
    There's a massive selection of lines to choose from in any of the ones I've been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Which shop?

Oranmore. Business is down, way down.

Advertisement