Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyces take over Nestors supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Which shop?

Oranmore. Business is down, way down.
    How much? % wise on the year? I'm assuming you're on the inside given you know they're 'down,way down'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

They've massively improved the old nestors Ballybane, better layout, increased range of products, pricing roughly the same/cheaper. All good really. Shop is as busy as ever by the looks of it too.

Don't know if it's massively improved.
    The checkouts have been moved, but they still put too many customers through the off-licence/ cigarette counter checkout. The off-licence has been expanded and they have more craft beers in stock. Haven't noticed increased product lines throughout the shop, but I have been caught out by out of date items on 2-3 occasions.

They've massively improved the old nestors Ballybane, better layout, increased range of products, pricing roughly the same/cheaper. All good really. Shop is as busy as ever by the looks of it too.

Don't know if it's massively improved.
    The checkouts have been moved, but they still put too many customers through the off-licence/ cigarette counter checkout. The off-licence has been expanded and they have more craft beers in stock. Haven't noticed increased product lines throughout the shop, but I have been caught out by out of date items on 2-3 occasions.
    Too many? Do you mean they should open more tills, if so, then it's probably a staffing issue, operating off a light base I'd imagine. Better range of water, speciality bread, ice cream, craft beer and their beef is much better than SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

How much? % wise on the year? I'm assuming you're on the inside given you know they're 'down,way down'?

My own casual observation is that it's quiet compared to Nestors time.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Lots of competition out there I suppose, I wouldn't go there if I'd an Aldi/Lidl/Tesco in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Better range of water,

I've seen it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Which shop?

Not in the inside, but conversion with staff member told me turnover in Oranmore is down by about 50%

Lots of competition out there I suppose, I wouldn't go there if I'd an Aldi/Lidl/Tesco in the area.
    The competition was there before the takeover, Aldi is fairly new, Tesco and Lidi are there a long time.

Which is why Joyces mouthpiece, RG Data, lodges objections by the bucket load anytime there is any mention of competition near any Joyces stores.

Better range of water,

I've seen it all now!
    Bualadh bos.

Which shop?

Not in the inside, but conversion with staff member told me turnover in Oranmore is down by about 50%

The competition was there before the takeover, Aldi is fairly new, Tesco and Lidi are there a long time.
    Big drop, can't be sustainable in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Oranmore store definitely is laid out a lot better than it was when it was Supervalu. Only in there the rare time now though, so no idea how business is. Never understood people shopping in a tiny, cramped local supermarket with a major lack of choice when there's a huge Tesco around the corner as well as Lidl and Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

The Oranmore store definitely is laid out a lot better than it was when it was Supervalu. Only in there the rare time now though, so no idea how business is. Never understood people shopping in a tiny, cramped local supermarket with a major lack of choice when there's a huge Tesco around the corner as well as Lidl and Aldi.
    I can give a part explanation. SuperValue had a very good butcher/fish counter. It wasn't exceptional but you knew the meat/fish was of decent quality. Discerning mammys would give up their first born before they'd buy meat from a Tesco butcher. That was their edge over all the other supermarkets in the area, and Joyce's threw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I can give a part explanation. SuperValue had a very good butcher/fish counter. It wasn't exceptional but you knew the meat/fish was of decent quality. Discerning mammys would give up their first born before they'd buy meat from a Tesco butcher. That was their edge over all the other supermarkets in the area, and Joyce's threw it away.
    +1 on this comment
    Butcher service is what attracted me to the store. Good quality meat/fish and advice from the Butcher/Fish Monger. It wasn’t a huge selection but ample enough. Quality of that along with fruit and veg has gone downhill. I would love to follow the lifecycle of the meat from when Joyce’s buy it to me buying it. I don’t think it lasts as long; especially chicken. I do my shop in Aldi and pick up some bits afterwards in Tesco. I would never buy meat from Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Joyce's well known for poor butcher counter and bad expiration dates on food. They don't even put expiration dates on fruit and veg. Crazy stuff. Not surprised Oranmore store is doing so badly. Wait til the new supervalu opens in Oranmore, there'll be no one going into Joyce's at all then. From my observations tesco in oranmore busier since joyce's opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Joyce's well known for poor butcher counter and bad expiration dates on food. They don't even put expiration dates on fruit and veg. Crazy stuff. Not surprised Oranmore store is doing so badly. Wait til the new supervalu opens in Oranmore, there'll be no one going into Joyce's at all then. From my observations tesco in oranmore busier since joyce's opened.

New SuperValu ? Where ? Haven't seen that on any threads

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

westgolf wrote: »
    New SuperValu ? Where ? Haven't seen that on any threads

Heard they are building new store near the Lidl. As you turn towards the village from old Limerick Rd. Corner site there. Just what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They don't even put expiration dates on fruit and veg. Crazy stuff.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/21/tesco-scrap-best-dates-fruit-vegetables/

Tesco is removing "best before" dates from most of its fresh fruit and vegetable packs, leaving consumers to use common sense to decide when they are no longer fit to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/21/tesco-scrap-best-dates-fruit-vegetables/

Tesco is removing "best before" dates from most of its fresh fruit and vegetable packs, leaving consumers to use common sense to decide when they are no longer fit to eat.

Tesco copying Joyce's ? Wow,just wow

westgolf wrote: »
    Tesco copying Joyce's ? Wow,just wow

As far as I know it’s a new initititiave that all stores are being asked to do. Fruit and veg don’t need expiry dates. You decide based on the condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

They don't even put expiration dates on fruit and veg. Crazy stuff.

Expiration dates on fruit and veg? Are you serious? Really?

Do you have eyes and a nose? If so, ignore "best before" dates and use your eyes and nose like people have done for generations.

Expiration dates on fruit and veg are a joke and foolish people throw our perfectly good food because they don't use basic human senses and prefer to believe something printed.

Aldi and Lidl no longer put expiration dates and tesco are finally following suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Expiration dates on fruit and veg? Are you serious? Really?

Do you have eyes and a nose? If so, ignore "best before" dates and use your eyes and nose like people have done for generations.

Expiration dates on fruit and veg are a joke and foolish people throw our perfectly good food because they don't use basic human senses and prefer to believe something printed.

Aldi and Lidl no longer put expiration dates and tesco are finally following suit.

Nose huh?

Everyone uses eyes and hands when it comes to fruit.

Anyway back on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

D Trent wrote: »
    Nose huh?

Everyone uses eyes and hands when it comes to fruit.

Anyway back on topic

Best before dates are on many other items and your nose is your primary sense.

A good sniff will better any best before date

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Best before dates are on many other items and your nose is your primary sense.

A good sniff will better any best before date

Can you let me know what shops you use as I’d like to avoid buying fruit and veg that you have sniffed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can you let me know what shops you use as I’d like to avoid buying fruit and veg that you have sniffed

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Dates are still on all fruit & veg in Dunnes Stores thankfully. Fruit turns quick enough, id rather a date on mine even if it is a best before. It is a matter of food safety & quality after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Psychlops wrote: »
    Dates are still on all fruit & veg in Dunnes Stores thankfully. Fruit turns quick enough, id rather a date on mine even if it is a best before. It is a matter of food safety & quality after all.

I'd much prefer if the date on fruit and veg told you when it was picked rather than an arbitrary best before date that can be completely useless depending on the storage and treatment of the fruit and veg

Psychlops wrote: »

Only a fool needs a date on their fruit and veg. Dunnes will soon hopefully follow the trend which is being encouraged where expiry dates are taken off fruit and veg, it leading to so much waste where people throw out perfectly good food just because its out of date.

Its nothing whatsoever to do with food safety. Eating a piece of "off' fruit wont do a thing on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Back to the topic of whether this change is for the better or not: I shop in the Fr Griffin Road store but not as often as I did when it was a SuperValu.

Joyce's has a good - vastly expanded - range of craft beer but that's only main positive I can think of when I compare the two. Prices for groceries are slightly higher now. A lot of the soups/refrigerated food seems to be imported from the UK, whereas SuperValu had more of an emphasis on Irish suppliers. I'd have SuperValu back in a heartbeat if given a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Back to the topic of whether this change is for the better or not: I shop in the Fr Griffin Road store but not as often as I did when it was a SuperValu.

Joyce's has a good - vastly expanded - range of craft beer but that's only main positive I can think of when I compare the two. Prices for groceries are slightly higher now. A lot of the soups/refrigerated food seems to be imported from the UK, whereas SuperValu had more of an emphasis on Irish suppliers. I'd have SuperValu back in a heartbeat if given a choice.

I shop at the Fr Griffin’s Shop also, about as often as before (bits and pieces) and agree with you on this.

The store got a moderate refurb. The beer selection is great. But the product selection in general is smaller. No longer the odd ball products from Irish suppliers around as often. SuperValu used to have a great stand of Japanese, Mexican ingredients which is now gone. 👎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

They seem to get in job lots of stuff - often with UK prices on them and once sold never appear again. I've seen known brands too e.g Kelloggs McVities etc with UK prices on them, although tbf you pay in euro what's marked.(£2.99 is for €2.99)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement