Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Works at Bothar na dTreabh

Options
  • 25-08-2017 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭

I see there are some kind of works (digging etc) going on in the central median at bothar na dtreabh, as you drive up towards Dunnes Briarhill (on your left)

Pointed out on attached map.

Anyone know what are they doing here?

Comments

I was wondering that myself - it looks like they are making the right turning lane longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Making the right turn longer and making traffic worse for now as they put it down to one lane during rush hr even though there are two lanes available and open at other times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

toadfly wrote: »
    Making the right turn longer and making traffic worse for now as they put it down to one lane during rush hr even though there are two lanes available and open at other times of the day.

Right. So they are presumably prepping for the opening of the Gort - Tuam road and the carnage that will bring when all the traffic starts converging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

obi604 wrote: »
    Right. So they are presumably prepping for the opening of the Gort - Tuam road and the carnage that will bring when all the traffic starts converging.

the route goes nowhere near there

route_map_497x365.jpg

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    the route goes nowhere near there

route_map_497x365.jpg

Sure jaysus, of course I am well aware of this.

But when new Gort-Tuam road opens and if people exit at Rathnorrissey from Tuam and Gort and want to go to Parkmore, they will end up at this right turn area that's being worked on now.

Essentially when new Gort - Tuam road opens, it will add 100's of extra cars that will eventually end up at this point every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There is , I think, no lighting in the middle section between Coolagh RA and Briarhill RA. May have something to do with that.

bobbyss wrote: »
    There is , I think, no lighting in the middle section between Coolagh RA and Briarhill RA. May have something to do with that.

Ye wha ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

obi604 wrote:
    Ye wha ?

Was driving through recently and noticed they had those tubes that cables are put through at the side of the road. As far as I can recall there's public lights just after Coolagh RA and just before you reach Briarhill intersection but none in the middle section of that road. Maybe the works have something to do with that.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Was driving through recently and noticed they had those tubes that cables are put through at the side of the road. As far as I can recall there's public lights just after Coolagh RA and just before you reach Briarhill intersection but none in the middle section of that road. Maybe the works have something to do with that.

oh ok grand, so you think its something to do with them putting in new lighting.

others think its to do with making the right hand turn longer.

obi604 wrote: »
    oh ok grand, so you think its something to do with them putting in new lighting.

others think its to do with making the right hand turn longer.

It's definitely making the right hand turn longer. It was in the papers about a month or two ago. I'm actually surprised about how quickly they've been able to start the work.
    They could well be adding lights at the same time, but the number 1 priority is to increase the length of the lane for turning right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It's definitely making the right hand turn longer.

Yeah they put this up on Facebook on 11th August...
    PARKMORE TRAFFIC

Galway City Council in conjunction with Galway County Council, the National Transport Authority, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and the IDA are delivering access improvements to the Parkmore Business and IDA Parks. A number of improvements have been delivered over the past 6 months to improve the overall traffic congestion in the area and to reduce bus journey times.

The next phase of works will commence next week with the extension of the right turning lane at Briarhill Junction on the approach from the Coolagh Roundabout. This will provide additional capacity at the Briarhill Junction to deal with the morning inbound traffic flows and in advance of the opening of the M17/M18 Motorway.

No significant traffic delays are expected as works are planned during the August low traffic volume period and will be undertaken during off-peak times of the day.

Advertisement