Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

People wondering why the Irish media is so rabidly pro Vaccination lately might not be surprised to learn that Storyful 'The worlds social media intelligence and news agency' seem to have been employed to promote the interests of Pharmaceutical companies here.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-09-at-23-54-48.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-09-at-23-55-00.png

They claim to help their partners deliver "Award Winning Journalism"
    What does this mean exactly? Are they publishing biased, company led articles in the Media under the guise of objective Journalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How many people are actually not getting their kids vaccinated? I know it does not need to be a large number for an outbreak etc.

When you think of how many parents in third world countries who would give anything for what we consider a right etc.

MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccination rates need to be at 95% to provide herd immunity.

Weirdly people think there is a link between meningitis and encephalitis and Autism.

New research shows meningitis in early childhood is a risk factor for Autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

People wondering why the Irish media is so rabidly pro Vaccination lately might not be surprised..

Really? after 261 pages we get this kind of utter stupidity?

Measles and other infectious diseases are making a comeback specifically because people on the internet are spreading lies and creating doubt, and other people are buying into it

In the same way that there are people on the internet who believe the world is flat and have formed a society, have forums, validate the nonsense - creating more irrational people who believe the world is flat

"But Big Pharma!" - if government scientists produced the vaccines they would be identical, the only difference would be that denialists would simply adjust their conspiracies

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

waxmoth wrote: »
    The FDA have significant concerns regarding the use of ‘tumorigenic and tumor derived cells’ in some vaccines.
    https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/biologics-research-projects/investigating-viruses-cells-used-make-vaccines-and-evaluating-potential-threat-posed-transmission

Just to nitpick, the FDA does not have significant concerns about the use of cell lines in vaccines. That link is a research group investigating the potential for integrated viral genomes to become activated in cell lines and in developing screening methods to certify cell lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hcf500 wrote: »
    Please go on. Finish what you want to say

You know the statement where people say I'm not racist but heres a racist statement...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

People wondering why the Irish media is so rabidly pro Vaccination lately might not be surprised to learn that Storyful 'The worlds social media intelligence and news agency' seem to have been employed to promote the interests of Pharmaceutical companies here.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-09-at-23-54-48.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-09-at-23-55-00.png

They claim to help their partners deliver "Award Winning Journalism"
    What does this mean exactly? Are they publishing biased, company led articles in the Media under the guise of objective Journalism?

Are you going to call out Gemma O'Doherty for her big pharma Glaxo Smithklime award?

Or do you now support her sheer hypocrisy

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The pharmaceutical industry has our best interests at heart. They are not about making a profit off of people's illness. They do not have a long history of selling drugs they know are harmful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The pharmaceutical industry has our best interests at heart. They are not about making a profit off of people's illness. They do not have a long history of selling drugs they know are harmful.
    Now that you're back maybe you could answer my previous question...
    Problem is... you cannot trust pharmaceutical companies. Time and time again they have peddled dangerous drugs, hidden bad results of trials. Bribed doctors etc etc
    I'm currently alive because of advances in both medical procedures and an ongoing supply of medication.
    Should I not take my medication because I think the drug companies could be in cahoots with the medics?
    Or would that be incredibly stupid and dangerous?

Now that you're back maybe you could answer my previous question...

I'm am not saying all drugs are bad. Of course they are not. What I am saying is that studies sponsored by drug companies and drug companies themselves are not to be trusted without proper independent verification of the safety and efficacy of these drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I'm am not saying all drugs are bad. Of course they are not. What I am saying is that studies sponsored by drug companies and drug companies themselves are not to be trusted without proper independent verification of the safety and efficacy of these drugs.

Thing is they all go through independent verification and analysis in relation to vaccines. They're also constantly under review for safety in terms of potential side effects.

• Advertisement

That is nowhere near what you previously posted.
    Plus, all drugs are independently tested in different jurisdictions.
    So basically what you've been saying is bullcrap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why are you pretending that they are not?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

Are you aware they don’t get a licence without independent assessment. They also pay the same fee regardless of outcome so there is no incentive for regulators to pass them unless satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, how many vaccines are administered to children in Ireland? Still waiting on that answer. I think you last lie in that thread was '72.' What's the number now?
    50? 30? 8? Eleventy million-billion?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If only there was an EU Medicines Agency that did periodic safety reviews of vaccines.

They have probably been doing this since before you were born. That's how out of date your "research" and information is. Which also means that any patent from then would have long expired.

If only there was an EU Medicines Agency that did periodic safety reviews of vaccines.

They have probably been doing this since before you were born. That's how out of date your "research" and information is. Which also means that any patent from then would have long expired.

When I was born there were no vaccines.

Really? You must be very very old!

Nonetheless you will then be aware of what mortality rates were like before and after the introduction of vaccines

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You're over 220 years old?

Who knew we had Connor MacLeod on boards. Don't need them if your immortal I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You're over 220 years old?

That explains a lot actually

• Advertisement

What year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    What year?

batgoat wrote: »

It's actually a serious question, perhaps this person means they were born before certain vaccines were introduced in this country, in which case can check the year and how many people were getting infected with (and dying from) diseases such as measles, polio, TB, rubella at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's actually a serious question, perhaps this person means they were born before certain vaccines were introduced in this country, in which case can check the year and how many people were getting infected with (and dying from) diseases such as measles, polio, TB, rubella at the time
    Much simpler. The poster in question is a proven liar like a typical antivaxer and just makes stuff up. Just another CT nutter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

batgoat wrote: »
    That would be the first Western use of a vaccine that wasn't based on the virus itself.

Exposing someone to smallpox nasally or via the skin goes back way further. To perhaps 200 BC depending on who you believe.

Pamphlet on smallpox inoculation from 300 years ago

That would be the first Western use of a vaccine that wasn't based on the virus itself.

Exposing someone to smallpox nasally or via the skin goes back way further. To perhaps 200 BC depending on who you believe.

Pamphlet on smallpox inoculation from 300 years ago
    Wow that's unreal.
    Even back in 1722 the big pharma companies were lying to us with their vaccines!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wow that's unreal.
    Even back in 1722 the big pharma companies were lying to us with their vaccines!

And Stefano travelled through time to save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

Im not defending nor attacking the swine flu vaccine. I don't know everything about it. But if they don't believe the vaccine is at fault, why are they offering "discretionary medical cards, reimbursement of expenses associated with diagnosis and treatment, home tuition and learning supports" to "those who have received a diagnosis of narcolepsy following administration of the H1N1 pandemic vaccine."? "regional co-ordinators have been appointed to assist by providing advice, information and access to local services". The parts quoted above are from Simon Harris 2 weeks ago. Full text below

As of 1 May 2019, the State Claims Agency has been notified of potential claims being initiated against the Minister for Health, the Health Services Executive and GlaxoSmithKline Biological SA by one hundred and nine (109) individuals and in 70 of these cases formal legal proceedings have been issued. The plaintiffs allege personal injury in which they claim the development of narcolepsy resulted from the administration of the H1N1 pandemic vaccine.

The management of these cases transferred to the State Claims Agency on 15 October 2013 when the Taoiseach signed the National Treasury Management Agency (Delegation of Claims Management Functions) (Amendment) Order 2013.

My main priority as Minister for Health is that individuals and families affected receive appropriate health and social care supports. My Department continues to engage with the Health Service Executive, the Department of Education and Skills, and the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to ensure the provision of a wide range of services and supports on an ex-gratia basis for those who have received a diagnosis of narcolepsy following administration of the H1N1 pandemic vaccine. The HSE’s Advocacy Unit acts as liaison with other service providers and Government Departments to facilitate access to required services. It is in regular contact with the individuals affected and their families, and regional co-ordinators have been appointed to assist by providing advice, information and access to local services. These supports include discretionary medical cards, reimbursement of expenses associated with diagnosis and treatment, home tuition and learning supports.

^^^^
    Any chance of a link to your source for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

^^^^
    Any chance of a link to your source for that?

Ill get back to you on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement