Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

But seriously, who is pretending that? My degree is in this area, we were taught about adverse reactions and why and how they happen. Why do people think that this is not communicated? We were students who some of us would go on to work in vaccine development.

I have posted a long time previously regarding my own involvement with adverse vaccine reactions. I was openly attacked for it and have been told that I was talking nonsense. Allow me to briefly recap. One of my children had an extreme reaction to the mmr vaccine (As in life threatening). It came on within hours of getting the jab. Not one medic would countenance the idea that it had anything to do with the vaccine. Eventually, after the worst of the medical issues had subsided, an immunologist advised us that it was almost certainly an adverse reaction but also reassured us that it would leave no lasting effect. We are committed to vaccination and later went ahead with the booster and, thankfully, there were no side effects.

Fast forward about twenty years and the same child, now an adult gets titre tested for work reasons and is told that they have no immunity to measles. The reason given is that the first vaccine they got was likely either dose compromised or batch compromised. If the dose was compromised that was unfortunate for one person, and no doubt a very rare occurrence. If the batch was compromised then there is likely to be a whole host of people walking around without immunity to measles and none the wiser. If it's the latter, then the various doctors' refusal to countenance a vaccine reaction was medical negligence. The batch should have been tested and if compromised, action taken.

Did I become anti-vaxx as a consequence? Absolutely not. Vaccines have saved millions and millions of people from untold misery and death. And along with antibiotics, are probably the greatest scientific/medical achievement of mankind.

I understand why doctors are reluctant to give oxygen to anti-vaxxers, but that doesn't justify the way in which they treat people who may have experienced an extreme reaction to a vaccination.

Rant over. I wish you all the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

mountai wrote: »
    "Emotional Terrorists" my bad.

You still haven't shown where this has actually happened.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Hook calls out HSE Director General Tony O'Brien - Newstalkwww.newstalk.com › videos › hook-calls-out-hse-director-general-ton...
    Aug 31, 2017 - Hook calls out HSE Director General Tony O'Brien ... of the most rigorously tested ever, but some parents remain concerned about its safety. ... for describing a campaign against the vaccine as “a form of emotional terrorism”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hook calls out HSE Director General Tony O'Brien - Newstalkwww.newstalk.com › videos › hook-calls-out-hse-director-general-ton...
    Aug 31, 2017 - Hook calls out HSE Director General Tony O'Brien ... of the most rigorously tested ever, but some parents remain concerned about its safety. ... for describing a campaign against the vaccine as “a form of emotional terrorism”.

Link?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Varta wrote: »
    I have posted a long time previously regarding my own involvement with adverse vaccine reactions. I was openly attacked for it and have been told that I was talking nonsense. Allow me to briefly recap. One of my children had an extreme reaction to the mmr vaccine (As in life threatening). It came on within hours of getting the jab. Not one medic would countenance the idea that it had anything to do with the vaccine. Eventually, after the worst of the medical issues had subsided, an immunologist advised us that it was almost certainly an adverse reaction but also reassured us that it would leave no lasting effect. We are committed to vaccination and later went ahead with the booster and, thankfully, there were no side effects.

Fast forward about twenty years and the same child, now an adult gets titre tested for work reasons and is told that they have no immunity to measles. The reason given is that the first vaccine they got was likely either dose compromised or batch compromised. If the dose was compromised that was unfortunate for one person, and no doubt a very rare occurrence. If the batch was compromised then there is likely to be a whole host of people walking around without immunity to measles and none the wiser. If it's the latter, then the various doctors' refusal to countenance a vaccine reaction was medical negligence. The batch should have been tested and if compromised, action taken.

Did I become anti-vaxx as a consequence? Absolutely not. Vaccines have saved millions and millions of people from untold misery and death. And along with antibiotics, are probably the greatest scientific/medical achievement of mankind.

I understand why doctors are reluctant to give oxygen to anti-vaxxers, but that doesn't justify the way in which they treat people who may have experienced an extreme reaction to a vaccination.

How many doctors did you see that denied that the vaccination could have had anything to do with your child’s symptoms? It can’t have been more than a very small sample size. What, a GP, a few hospital doctors? My brother had an reaction to a childhood vaccine and it was taken seriously. It was acknowledged that it was to do with the vaccine. I had an adverse reaction to a vaccine a decade ago. It was acknowledged that it was to do with the vaccine. These are all anecdotes. I’ve studied in the field and have an interest in vaccines and I’ve never encountered anyone who denied that adverse reactions are a (very remote) possibility.

• Advertisement

I dont understand why you call your post " Rant" . Yes you did receive attacks from the "Medical Stormtroopers" as I call them . I for one believe you as I have witnessed vaccine damage to a family member and have been accused of lying on this forum . " Come back and tell us when you find out what is wrong with her " was the comment made by a Doctor on my Grandaughters release from hospital after two days in iCU . Couldnt make this sh1t up if you tried .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In fairness, while that appears to have been a reaction to a vaccine and must have been terrifying; it is not what anti-vaxxers mean when they talk about ‘adverse reactions’. They don’t mean isolated, individual reactions, they mean that all vaccines are all always inherently bad and dangerous and that ‘reactions’ are common: citing everything from autism to eczema.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Sureitlbegrand

Dont believe it should be forced on anybody. Besides if the vaccine works surely it means your immune once you've taken it and the only people who can get it are anti vacciners

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and the only people who can get it are anti vacciners
    ...or people who for an actual legitimate reason are unable to take the vaccine.

• Advertisement

Dont believe it should be forced on anybody. Besides if the vaccine works surely it means your immune once you've taken it and the only people who can get it are anti vacciners

A small amount of people can’t receive vaccines. They need to be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Just posting in this thread again to say fucck anti-vaxxers

How many doctors did you see that denied that the vaccination could have had anything to do with your child’s symptoms? It can’t have been more than a very small sample size. What, a GP, a few hospital doctors? My brother had an reaction to a childhood vaccine and it was taken seriously. It was acknowledged that it was to do with the vaccine. I had an adverse reaction to a vaccine a decade ago. It was acknowledged that it was to do with the vaccine. These are all anecdotes. I’ve studied in the field and have an interest in vaccines and I’ve never encountered anyone who denied that adverse reactions are a (very remote) possibility.

You were lucky in the doctors that you and your brother encountered. I'm talking about numerous doctors in Crumlin Hospital, right up to consultant level. The reality is few doctors will acknowledge it or have the time/inclination to delve into it. For them, the vast majority of patients they will ever meet will only benefit from vaccines and suffer no serious side effect.

kylith wrote: »
    In fairness, while that appears to have been a reaction to a vaccine and must have been terrifying; it is not what anti-vaxxers mean when they talk about ‘adverse reactions’. They don’t mean isolated, individual reactions, they mean that all vaccines are all always inherently bad and dangerous and that ‘reactions’ are common: citing everything from autism to eczema.

I agree entirely, but when you are one of those very rare cases it is very challenging. Every medic and scientist I have spoken to about vaccines reacts as though they are very frustrated at having to deal with vaccine sceptics, and I fully understand their frustration, but that shouldn't mean that they turn their backs on genuine cases.

You were lucky in the doctors that you and your brother encountered. I'm talking about numerous doctors in Crumlin Hospital, right up to consultant level. The reality is few doctors will acknowledge it or have the time/inclination to delve into it. For them, the vast majority of patients they will ever meet will only benefit from vaccines and suffer no serious side effect.

This was twenty years ago! How can say that’s how it is in the present day?

And the bolded bit is true, actually. A majority isn’t everybody. The vast majority of people do not get reactions to vaccines and they benefit from vaccines. Of course doctors believe that. Because it’s true. What part of that is denying that on rare occasions, adverse reactions occur?

This was twenty years ago! How can say that’s how it is in the present day?

And the bolded bit is true, actually. A majority isn’t everybody. The vast majority of people do not get reactions to vaccines and they benefit from vaccines. Of course doctors believe that. Because it’s true. What part of that is denying that on rare occasions, adverse reactions occur?

Obviously it's true. You are a very angry person. I'll bow out here.

Obviously it's true. You are a very angry person. I'll bow out here.

For the love of jaysus. Talk about brittle.

If you know it’s true then what’s the problem with doctors believing it? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I got a lot of chesty coughs as a child, especially when engaging in physical activity or running around.

I would still wheeze very slightly after a tough gym session or sport.

Usually get a letter out in the post every year offering the flu jab(I’m from the north but live in Dublin last 2 years). Never get it. Touch wood, but I rarely get sick.

Was up home last weekend and the whole family were sick with the flu going around. My girlfriend got it off of them. We live together, she had it all last week, chesty cough everything, and has now recovered. I never as much as showed signs of symptoms.

Does this make me an anti-vaxxer? Always wondered that. Do I infuriate people by refusing to get it when told to.

26 and otherwise clean bill of health.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I got a lot of chesty coughs as a child, especially when engaging in physical activity or running around.

I would still wheeze very slightly after a tough gym session or sport.

Usually get a letter out in the post every year offering the flu jab(I’m from the north but live in Dublin last 2 years). Never get it. Touch wood, but I rarely get sick.

Was up home last weekend and the whole family were sick with the flu going around. My girlfriend got it off of them. We live together, she had it all last week, chesty cough everything, and has now recovered. I never as much as showed signs of symptoms.

Does this make me an anti-vaxxer? Always wondered that. Do I infuriate people by refusing to get it when told to.

26 and otherwise clean bill of health.

Well, I guess people not getting the flu jab puts immunocompromised people at risk but people not getting childhood vaccines means that you don’t have to be immunocompromised to die from one of the diseases the vaccines protect against. You won’t have been “told to” get the flu jab either. It’s just a suggestion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You have asthma (possibly exercised induced) and are of the age group that are least likely to suffer any catastrophic effects from flu.

Also a chesty cough and everything? Thats it, your GF had the common cold. A flu is a whole lot worse.

I do wonder how many people get a dose of the cold and think its the flu. An inaccurate way to diagnose but probably holds true in many cases, if you feel like you have the flu but can get out of bed, then you probably don't have the flu.

A full blown flu has muscle aches, fatigue, headaches, fevers and chills (just to mess with your head), plus severe symptoms of a cold.

A cold has a cough, a runny nose and feeling down on themselves for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Every medic and scientist I have spoken to about vaccines reacts as though they are very frustrated at having to deal with vaccine sceptics, and I fully understand their frustration, but that shouldn't mean that they turn their backs on genuine cases.

Scientists and "medics" you talk to turn their back on people who have vaccine injuries, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

CramCycle wrote: »
    You have asthma (possibly exercised induced) and are of the age group that are least likely to suffer any catastrophic effects from flu.

Also a chesty cough and everything? Thats it, your GF had the common cold. A flu is a whole lot worse.

I do wonder how many people get a dose of the cold and think its the flu. An inaccurate way to diagnose but probably holds true in many cases, if you feel like you have the flu but can get out of bed, then you probably don't have the flu.

A full blown flu has muscle aches, fatigue, headaches, fevers and chills (just to mess with your head), plus severe symptoms of a cold.

A cold has a cough, a runny nose and feeling down on themselves for most people.

Most people who say they have ‘the flu’ just gave a bad cold. I got a mild dose of the flu a few years back and I literally had to crawl to the loo cos I physically couldn’t stand.

Fair enough.

I don't disagree with him. Anti-vaxxers are using fear to push their agenda so he is not technically wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

First case of Rubella in over a decade in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

CosmicFool wrote: »
    First case of Rubella in over a decade in Cork.
    Seriously dangerous for pregnant women

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Scientists and "medics" you talk to turn their back on people who have vaccine injuries, how?

By refusing to believe there is the slightest chance that it MIGHT BE TRUE . When Varadker was health minister , he instructed medics to "Treat the symptoms , not the cause" of what MIGHT be vaccine injury caused by HPV .

Fair enough.

I don't disagree with him. Anti-vaxxers are using fear to push their agenda so he is not technically wrong.

Well he did apologise afterwards for use of his words . BTW , the parents of REGRET are labeled as " Antivaxxers" when in fact , all their children have been given the HPV vaccine . Please explain the logic of this labeling . All the parents have ever wanted was examination and treatment for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

By refusing to believe there is the slightest chance that it MIGHT BE TRUE . When Varadker was health minister , he instructed medics to "Treat the symptoms , not the cause" of what MIGHT be vaccine injury caused by HPV .

A vaccine injury is any adverse affect from a vaccine. NO medic denies they exist.

Sore arms ...mild fever etc.

Mild reactions nothing like anti vaxers claim and nothing that should make you think twice about getting children vaccinated.

You are warned about them before you get vaccinated.

• Advertisement

A vaccine injury is any adverse affect from a vaccine. NO medic denies they exist.

Sore arms ...mild fever etc.

Mild reactions nothing like anti vaxers claim and nothing that should make you think twice about getting children vaccinated.

You are warned about them before you get vaccinated.

Tell that to those that contracted Narcolepsy after swine flu vaccine .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement