Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://twitter.com/ConMend/status/1336249743182327808

This is the kind of lunacy that's spreading like wildfire through twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms. It's quite worrying really. If you try to engage you're branded a sheep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ConMend/status/1336249743182327808

This is the kind of lunacy that's spreading like wildfire through twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms. It's quite worrying really. If you try to engage you're branded a sheep.

I'm pretty sure he is joking

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Here's the priority list for people to be given the new vaccine.
    I don't see anything about people being forced to take it given the predictions by the Anti-Microsoft 5G Serum muppets.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1336286638784344065

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

1596409852102-png.41354

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pinch Flat wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he is joking

I say he is but with all the crap on about COVID people could taake anything to heart

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I see 2 people have had allergic reactions to the vaccine in the UK.

You can almost smell the smug vindication from anti vaxxers coming over the horizon.

Their arguments will be absolute nonsense as usual of course.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Brian? wrote: »

You can almost smell the smug vindication from anti vaxxers coming over the horizon.

Most people will have reactions though, that's quite normal, in fact the reactions ot the pfizer vaccine are quite intense for 24 hours for quite a few people. I am pretty sure this has been reported on in the US already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Brian? wrote: »

True, but they'd probably be happier if those were two deaths rather than just allergic reactions.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Most people will have reactions though, that's quite normal, in fact the reactions ot the pfizer vaccine are quite intense for 24 hours for quite a few people. I am pretty sure this has been reported on in the US already.

I've worked in clinical trials. The sheer, obscene amount of paperwork involved and taken for each study participant means that everything is recorded. If someone had a dodgy takeaway and got food poisoning, the company would insist on recording the symptoms anyway to cover themselves just in case.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Adverse effects were almost all mild (no interference with activity) or moderate (some interference with activity). Only around 1% or less of people reported severe adverse effects (prevents daily activity) for most of the symptoms.
    For example: Pain
    18-55yrs: mild 51.1%, moderate 31% severe 1%
    Over 55: mild: 55.9% moderate 15% severe 0.2%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

True, but they'd probably be happier if those were two deaths rather than just allergic reactions.

If people die they won't be able to post they'll be in such a state of rapture.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

bocaman wrote: »
    Any anti-vaxxers I've encountered in Ireland are far right wing nuts. Personally I consider them rather selfish individuals.

I've come across a fair few types. Mostly Freemen and far right but I've also come across the hippy dippy types who are definitely not far right. My guess is that there's a huge industry targeting women on facebook with "Wellness" nonsense. If a person has the kind of mind that can believe in homeopathy, they are absolutely capable of believing that vaccines cause autism or any old rubbish for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shameless liberal

HSE running a survey on vaccine and attitudes here.

If you've a few mins, may as well give them some data!

https://survey.euro.confirmit.com/wix/4/p866991630334.aspx?TD=7

I've come across a fair few types. Mostly Freemen and far right but I've also come across the hippy dippy types who are definitely not far right. My guess is that there's a huge industry targeting women on facebook with "Wellness" nonsense. If a person has the kind of mind that can believe in homeopathy, they are absolutely capable of believing that vaccines cause autism or any old rubbish for that matter.

These people tend to be naturalistic fetishists or anti corporate types.

Telegraph columnist Allison Pearson does a marvellous U-turn in her views on Covid...
    https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1338585146736455681

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1338590216697880576

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Telegraph columnist Allison Pearson does a marvellous U-turn in her views on Covid...
    https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1338585146736455681

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1338590216697880576

Jaysus that must have been an eventful 20 minutes Allison!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They might've been in Tralee a day or two ago. Apparently it's Gemma O'Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭paul71

Igotadose wrote: »
    They might've been in Tralee a day or two ago. Apparently it's Gemma O'Doherty.

She really is past the stage of mental health committal, a girl I worked with told me Gemma was screaming at people who tried walking past her in Dundrum before the General election. Off the wall Bats**t crazy is she!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Unfortunately there is now a big crossover between the far right and new age wellness types

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The both sides fallacy.

One "side" at least has some data while the other is spreading nonsense from crackpots. There is a world of difference between the two and simply saying there's not enough data isn't good enough without specifying what the minimum should be or at least what would satisfy you.

statistics.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rupert Murdoch received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine this week
    A convoy of Range Rovers delivered the 89-year-old billionaire to a dedicated vaccine centre in Henley, Oxfordshire, where normal hours are understood to have been extended at the last minute.

Murdoch controlled media include News Corp, Fox , FM104, LMFM, Q102, The Sun, The Times, The Sunday Times, New York Post , Wall Street Journal, Fox News etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anti-vaxxer views appear to be very popular on social media where statements like "big pharma conspiracy" are common. With all the scientific evidence available, there are still a growing number of anti vaxxers. Be interested in peoples views on this.
    Across the pond conspiracy theories have become increasing popular, especially since the 3 November elections. The more wildly outlandish, the wider the spread. Do not bother showing objective evidence, just claim you have it; or say everyone knows. Play on between group differences and dislikes, and plenty will follow. It appears hard for many to separate politics from science.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder is this nurse a conspiracy theorist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Big Gerry wrote: »

No, she had a fairly common response to skin punctures that causes her blood pressure to drop and subsequently faint. If you actually watched the video, you'd know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭paul71

Sardonicat wrote: »
    No, she had a fairly common response to skin punctures that causes her blood pressure to drop and subsequently faint. If you actually watched the video, you'd know that.

A very common reaction, I have it, I pass out every time I give blood or if I need to have a blood test done.

But big gerry has a wealth of medical knowledge he knows better than them high fuluten doctors with their fancy degrees and educumacations.

Big Gerry wrote: »

She has a medical condition which causes her to faint as a result of experiencing pain. You're not the first person to try dump this nonsense here.

She has a medical condition which causes her to faint as a result of experiencing pain. You're not the first person to try dump this nonsense here.

Friend works as a tattooist and also does piercings. People fainting on getting pierced, and in some cases tattooed, is the reason they have people lying down when they do them where possible.

The usual are going to try grasping at as many straws as possible and display their usual ignorance, nothing new there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Sardonicat wrote: »

You think as a nurse she would be use to getting vaccines.

If she has a problem with fainting then she should not be working in such a responsible job were peoples lives are on the line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement