Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Big Gerry wrote: »
    You think as a nurse she would be use to getting vaccines.

If she has a problem with fainting then she should not be working in such a responsible job were peoples lives are on the line.

Do you think nurses get vaccinated on a daily basis or something? Funny how you've dropped the facade of being concerned when you can't use this woman as a tool to push your anti-vaxxer narrative.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

paul71 wrote: »
    A very common reaction, I have it, I pass out every time I give blood or if I need to have a blood test done.

But big gerry has a wealth of medical knowledge he knows better than them high fuluten doctors with their fancy degrees and educumacations.

I never claimed to know more than them.

The thing is that nobody Doctor or otherwise knows the long term safety proflie of the vaccine.

The full side effects won't become clear until the vaccine has been on the market for years.

Do you think nurses get vaccinated on a daily basis or something? Funny how you've dropped the facade of being concerned when you can't use this woman as a tool to push your anti-vaxxer narrative.

They are suppose to get the flu vaccine every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭paul71

I never claimed to know more than them.

The thing is that nobody Doctor or otherwise knows the long term safety proflie of the vaccine.

The full side effects won't become clear until the vaccine has been on the market for years.

The long effect of a vaccine is clear = not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They can get it if they want, same as everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You think as a nurse she would be use to getting vaccines.

If she has a problem with fainting then she should not be working in such a responsible job were peoples lives are on the line.

It's a very common reaction across the population. Even if she is 'used to getting vaccines", she'd could still have that reaction. It's not because she's squeamish, it's a physiological response. Its believed to be a primitive throwback to the fight, flight, freeze response to perceived or actual threats. It's the same with people who faint at the sight of blood. For other people, sudden loud noises cause them to faint. It's why you are always asked how you cope with needles before they stick one in you, in case you're a fainter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And being used to this annual event is supposed to override a physiological response? I'm really struggling to understand why you think your opinion on medical matters should carry weight here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

And being used to this annual event is supposed to override a physiological response? I'm really struggling to understand why you think your opinion on medical matters should carry weight here.

The more you do something the easier it gets you don't need a medical degree to understand that.

When I had get into an MRI machine for the first time I found it very scary but now its like nothing to me if I have to get into one of those machines.

The more you do something the easier it gets you don't need a medical degree to understand that.

When I had get into an MRI machine for the first time I found it very scary but now its like nothing to me if I have to get into one of those machines.

Finding it scary isn't the same as an innate physiological response. This is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It's a reaction of the nervous system, like a reflex. It doesn't change with practice. They arent scared of needles, the blood pressure drops in response to the skin being punctured. There is no getting used to it. It's just a function of their biology.

• Advertisement

I get needles into my arm on a pretty regular basis. Like every two months, sometimes more often and I'm pretty good with needles or anything medical. I've even had doctors miss my veins multiple times. 99% of the time I'm fine, but I still get off days where I feel the sting of a needle or if the person doing the injection isn't very good at putting it in.

Also an mri is pretty different, it's not noticeably different each time. An injection can vary in terms of pain for multiple reasons and will never be the exact same.

Also in this case, it appears to be a physiological rather than psychological response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Up until 5 years ago I was on 10 injections a day, never bothered me in the least. If I used my own experience as the basis for how everyone should be around needles, everyone should grow up and never even flinch at the idea of an injection.

In reality, everyone is different, some have psychological issues with needles and some even have exaggerated physiological responses, I remember one girl in the waiting room at a clinic who used to have to lie down as she fainted almost every time she was injected. As a Type 1 DM, I can assure you, that's more than a little inconvenient. I presume over time she did eventually become accustomed to it but at this point it had been twice a day for a few years and was still fainting, the idea that someone with a similar response could get over it based on one injection a year is beyond absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

They don't and it's not compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

CramCycle wrote: »
    Up until 5 years ago I was on 10 injections a day, never bothered me in the least. If I used my own experience as the basis for how everyone should be around needles, everyone should grow up and never even flinch at the idea of an injection.

In reality, everyone is different, some have psychological issues with needles and some even have exaggerated physiological responses, I remember one girl in the waiting room at a clinic who used to have to lie down as she fainted almost every time she was injected. As a Type 1 DM, I can assure you, that's more than a little inconvenient. I presume over time she did eventually become accustomed to it but at this point it had been twice a day for a few years and was still fainting, the idea that someone with a similar response could get over it based on one injection a year is beyond absurd.

It’s not the needle I’m afraid of, but the pain that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Apparently Wexford General Hospital was plastered with this sh ite

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

My partner was in Wexford General for an appendectomy a week ago. The staff were superb and took every precaution. An underrated and excellent hospital. The survival rate is what the poster refers too. So by that poster, and this is key to remember, its not that everyone has a good chance of surviving, it is that 1 in 250 will die from Covid and would have lived longer otherwise, some people a week, some a year and some 30years. Now lets look at those who survive, we don't know the long term implications for those who seem good, quite a chance, many will have no lasting issues but we have seen a large enough number of permanent lung damage, and then smaller numbers of other organ damage with no clear indication of if any recovery will be possible.

I know there are people who have seen no negative personal experiences, and as people many of us are great at only seeing what's in our sphere, its basically a protection mechanism mentally most of the time but its not really working here. It protects us from seeing Italy 9 months ago, when I had co workers writing back about their local towns, how every GP for 100miles was dead as they were elderly men. I have seen bad things but many haven't, and even then, some of them can ignore it.

Christ, you should see this virus in action in the lab, it's incredible and terrifying in equal measure. One of my co workers works with it and showed it to me under the microscope, it is terrifying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First one says 99.96% recovery rate

Which is pretty amazing since only 99.9% are still alive never mind the long term effects which people haven't recovered from yet. And most people haven't been exposed yet.

Also
    Spain plans register for those who refuse COVID vaccine
    Spanish Health Minister Salvador Illa has said the list would be kept private and fully comply with the law. But Madrid says that it could share the register with other EU countries.

A nationwide curfew is in place on the Spanish mainland between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. that is set to expire in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Here's the priority list for people to be given the new vaccine.
    I don't see anything about people being forced to take it given the predictions by the Anti-Microsoft 5G Serum muppets.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1336286638784344065

This is unsurprising though and certainly not necessary. I don't know why people were so concerned they would somehow be coerced or manipulated into taking a vaccine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This is unsurprising though and certainly not necessary. I don't know why people were so concerned they would somehow be coerced or manipulated into taking a vaccine!

There is a link in the UK where you can check where you would be on the vaccine register, I'm around the 38 million spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

When countries or airlines want proof of vaccination it'll be a game changer for the Facebook anti vaxxers. .

I wonder how many will refuse work trips and holidays. See how strong their beliefs are then I guess..

Considering this is only a vulnerable person's disease, once they are vaccinated then that is the end of covid as a crisis. The cost and effort to bring in a proof of vaccine for partaking in normal society activities will be hugely disproportionate. Especially considering the time frame for getting the critical vaccinations done, we are talking only around 8 more weeks according to the Irish government.

Lets clarify something really quickly, because it seems to be something that alot of people are missing.
    Considering this is only a vulnerable person's disease,
    It's not, it disproportionately affects certain populations, there are several case studies of people with nothing that links them to an identified vulnerable population and it causing serious harm.
    once they are vaccinated then that is the end of covid as a crisis.
    Not really, without enough people who can act as carriers we never get herd immunity and it could circle in the population for years. We also don't know how long immunity will last at present to it, therefore you will have outbreaks in said vulnerable populations as people enter them and we haven't covered enough of the population, mass vaccination to provide blanket protection, presuming it reduces the likelihood of spread as you clear it quicker is the logical choice.
    The cost and effort to bring in a proof of vaccine for partaking in normal society activities will be hugely disproportionate. Especially considering the time frame for getting the critical vaccinations done, we are talking only around 8 more weeks according to the Irish government.
    And in that scenario then we stay with lockdowns until the rate of spread lowers, as more people are vaccinated we will presumably be able to roll down through the lockdown levels and then normality will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

6 wrote: »
    work trips

Full time facebook mummy isn't a job.....

CramCycle wrote: »
    Lets clarify something really quickly, because it seems to be something that alot of people are missing.
    It's not, it disproportionately affects certain populations, there are several case studies of people with nothing that links them to an identified vulnerable population and it causing serious harm.
    Not really, without enough people who can act as carriers we never get herd immunity and it could circle in the population for years. We also don't know how long immunity will last at present to it, therefore you will have outbreaks in said vulnerable populations as people enter them and we haven't covered enough of the population, mass vaccination to provide blanket protection, presuming it reduces the likelihood of spread as you clear it quicker is the logical choice.

And in that scenario then we stay with lockdowns until the rate of spread lowers, as more people are vaccinated we will presumably be able to roll down through the lockdown levels and then normality will return.

You're misinterpreting the data on covid. It isn't harmful like you are trying to convey. What you want to see is not reflective of what is actually the case. But I will stick to what the government policy is, which is not in line with any of what you suggest.

No mandatory vaccines (via coercion with passports or vaccine passes or whatever) and getting the vulnerable and front line vaccinated removes the need for lockdowns, only requiring lighter restrictions (in the next 8 weeks that is the end of lockdown). This is the government plan.

You're misinterpreting the data on covid. It isn't harmful like you are trying to convey. What you want to see is not reflective of what is actually the case. But I will stick to what the government policy is, which is not in line with any of what you suggest.

No mandatory vaccines (via coercion with passports or vaccine passes or whatever) and getting the vulnerable and front line vaccinated removes the need for lockdowns, only requiring lighter restrictions (in the next 8 weeks that is the end of lockdown). This is the government plan.

The government's plan includes the likelihood that there will be some form of restrictions for 6 months. So we'll likely be in some form of lockdown until June.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/normality-will-not-return-for-six-months-says-taoiseach-1055717.html

The government's plan includes the likelihood that there will be some form of restrictions for 6 months. So we'll likely be in some form of lockdown until June.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/normality-will-not-return-for-six-months-says-taoiseach-1055717.html

Lockdown is not restrictions. That's my point, Leo said end of Feb for the most vulnerable to be vaccinated meaning the end of lockdown (which I read as level 4 and 5), but lighter restrictions to apply until the summer when they only have the general 18-54 age category left, at which point covid is basically dead

Lockdown is not restrictions. That's my point, Leo said end of Feb for the most vulnerable to be vaccinated meaning the end of lockdown (which I read as level 4 and 5), but lighter restrictions to apply until the summer when they only have the general 18-54 age category left, at which point covid is basically dead

We have multiple levels of lockdown. We're not going from level 5 to no level.... Also the most vulnerable doesn't consider the fact that there are multiple other groups that are high risk. Eg I'm immunosuppressed and will not be vaccinated by the end of February...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wonder is this nurse a conspiracy theorist ?

I've seen a person pass out when giving blood.

I guess giving blood is wrong and evil?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've seen a person pass out when giving blood.

I guess giving blood is wrong and evil?
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's happened me. I'm usually fine, not squeamish and have given blood a few times but I fainted once when the doctor was talking a blood sample.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement