Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Considering this is only a vulnerable person's disease, once they are vaccinated then that is the end of covid as a crisis. The cost and effort to bring in a proof of vaccine for partaking in normal society activities will be hugely disproportionate. Especially considering the time frame for getting the critical vaccinations done, we are talking only around 8 more weeks according to the Irish government.
    It's true to say that vulnerable people are more at risk.

It's not true to say that everyone else is bulletproof.

So far 1 in a 1,000 in the USA have already died from it.

Multiples of that number will have life changing long term effects from Covid. Like breathing difficulties. And loosing hands and limbs.

And based on antibody tests only a fraction of the US population have been exposed so it's still early days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You're misinterpreting the data on covid. It isn't harmful like you are trying to convey. What you want to see is not reflective of what is actually the case. But I will stick to what the government policy is, which is not in line with any of what you suggest.
    I work with someone who is a virologist and actually grows it in our labs, there is plenty of data that backs up everything I have said, which bit specifically was incorrect, it is not impossible that I have misspoke.
    No mandatory vaccines (via coercion with passports or vaccine passes or whatever) and getting the vulnerable and front line vaccinated removes the need for lockdowns, only requiring lighter restrictions (in the next 8 weeks that is the end of lockdown). This is the government plan.
    No its not, level 2,3,4, and 5 are all different levels of lockdown. As I said, we will roll down the list as vaccination rates increase, and cases and strain on the health system as well as risk of outbreaks lowers over time.
    And based on antibody tests only a fraction of the US population have been exposed so it's still early days.
    An unknown number of people who have caught Covid, showed no response at all, which initially was thought to be great (no danger to short term health) but some are showing no antibodies at all which means they could have a bad dose the next time but more importantly, they could be silent carriers, which is why they also really need to be vaccinated. Not as urgently but they do need to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why are most foreigners here anti covid vaxers?

I have yet to meet a foreigner In Ireland who is pro covid vaccine. Especially eastern europeans, they all think the government are trying to harm them with the vaccine.

They are going around spreading rubbish about side effects of the vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

CramCycle wrote: »
    I work with someone who is a virologist and actually grows it in our labs, there is plenty of data that backs up everything I have said, which bit specifically was incorrect, it is not impossible that I have misspoke.

Just the numbers from the HPSC are what I mean. The biggest risk factor is clearly age, and the over 75s are most vulnerable but once you look at younger ages there is a dramatic refution in seriousness from recorded positives. Then under 45s, it seems to be pretty much of negligible concern to those people.

This is all in the context of no vaccine to date and also based on recorded positive tests but of course we likely had many multiples of this of actual infections in the last year.

This all exposes the anti-vaxxer nonsense of mandatory vaccinations or vaccines being used to suppress people or whatever they claim as covid isn't harmful enough to be so terrified of a vaccine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pgj2015 wrote: »

I have yet to meet a foreigner In Ireland who is pro covid vaccine. Especially eastern europeans, they all think the government are trying to harm them with the vaccine.

I work with loads of "foreigners", none of whom seem to have caught the anti-vaccine nonsense thankfully!

• Advertisement

I work with loads of "foreigners", none of whom seem to have caught the anti-vaccine nonsense thankfully!

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

It depends on where they are from, we tend to forget here that Czechs and Hungarians are as distinct in their views from one another as are the French and Germans or the Irish and British. I actually find the term Eastern European to be pejorative. They only thing they actually had in common was subjugation under communism which was 40 years whereas their individual cultures developed over thousands of years.

What I do know is that antivax stupidity did gain more traction in Czech then most of its neighbors, I don't know the reason for that, but it was one of the first countries in Europe to lose measles free status.

paul71 wrote: »
    It depends on where they are from, we tend to forget here that Czechs and Hungarians are as distinct in their views from one another as are the French and Germans or the Irish and British. I actually find the term Eastern European to be pejorative. They only thing they actually had in common was subjugation under communism which was 40 years whereas their individual cultures developed over thousands of years.

What I do know is that antivax stupidity did gain more traction in Czech then most of its neighbors, I don't know the reason for that, but it was one of the first countries in Europe to lose measles free status.

Polish and romanians, mostly who seem to be anti covid vaxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

It does seem to have gained some sort of traction in Romania, I don't know about Poland myself. It could be down to something as simple as 1 very loudmouthed idiot journalist in those countries, but thats just speculation on my part.

As a way to illustrate that point imagine someone of the influence and voice of Joe Duffy (I use him as an example of someone with a voice not insinuating in anyway he is antivax) preaching to Irish housewives antivax nonsense for a decade.

paul71 wrote: »
    It does seem to have gained some sort of traction in Romania, I don't know about Poland myself. It could be down to something as simple as 1 very loudmouthed idiot journalist in those countries, but thats just speculation on my part.

As a way to illustrate that point imagine someone of the influence and voice of Joe Duffy (I use him as an example of someone with a voice not insinuating in anyway he is antivax) preaching to Irish housewives antivax nonsense for a decade.

would it be that they were brought up to distrust their governments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

would it be that they were brought up to distrust their governments?

Just that they/or their parents lived under a very sh!tty totalitarian regime.

Here's a juicy story ripe for anti-vaxx manipulation: California nurse tests positive over a week after receiving Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

He wasn't vaccinated. He only received the first dose.

That's just because they forgot the microchip.

I know but wait and see but headlines like that will be used to discourage vaccine uptake by the usual suspects

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

More evidence that suggest Covid does damage to young healthy people.

Would clinical trials on a vaccine pick up a 22 in 100,000 effect ?

How would an anti-vaxxer compare that risk to a 15% possibly up to 45% effect ?

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/college-athletes-experienced-heart-damage-after-covid-19-study-67929
    Months after recovering from COVID-19, some college athletes are showing signs of heart inflammation brought on by a rare condition called myocarditis that may be linked to SARS-CoV-2 exposure, doctors reported September 11 in JAMA Cardiology.

When they imaged the hearts of more than two dozen of Ohio State University players using cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR), they found evidence of myocarditis in 15 percent, while a further 30 percent had cellular damage or swelling that could not be linked definitively to the condition.

myocarditis is a rare condition—affecting roughly 22 out of every 100,000 people each year—it is nevertheless a recognized cause of death among professional athletes, even in the absence of previous heart trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have Romanian friends and none are anti-Vaccination, absolutely no different than the rest of us, they want the vaccine and for life to get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02598-6

This is clearly a serious virus.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've seen a person pass out when giving blood.

I guess giving blood is wrong and evil?
    :rolleyes:

Indeed. I'm a blood donor and have never liked needles. I don't look when they put it in otherwise I get a bit freaked out. But it won't stop me from giving blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sure as night follows day, the pharmacist that destroyed Covid-19 vaccines in the US, is an anti-vax loon:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pharmacist-sabotaged-vaccines-thought-unsafe-police/story?id=75019776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sure as night follows day, the pharmacist that destroyed Covid-19 vaccines in the US, is an anti-vax loon:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pharmacist-sabotaged-vaccines-thought-unsafe-police/story?id=75019776

causation not just correlation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

How can someone be a pharmacist and be anti-vax? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Rothko wrote: »

'Murica

Pffffft..... Facts schmacts.

Rothko wrote: »
    when they're a harm-assist

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your coat is over here, by the door,.........

WarmheartedOptimalHorsefly-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CramCycle wrote: »
    and as people many of us are great at only seeing what's in our sphere

Ironically Gemma and her Gemmaroids make a big show of being into the old time religion. They can believe in certain things that they haven't seen :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Igotadose wrote: »

It's not clear if this guy is anti-vaxer in general or just this covid stuff.
    I'd say he probably ok with old school vaccines but not this one.

From the article he thought Moderna "was not safe for people and could harm them and change their DNA" so he left the vials in room temp to deactivate the vaccine.

The AstraZeneca shot is a "viral vector vaccine", where a specially engineered virus that normally causes chimpanzees to get the common cold delivers genetic instructions to human cells to make the spike protein jutting out from the new coronavirus's surface.

The Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines use a new technology which packs messenger RNA (mRNA) inside tiny fat droplets to instruct cells to make the spike protein.

Tbh, we don't know enough of these vaccines to say they are the best, or even if they are perfectly safe.
    They have been tested on animals and humans.
    They are fairly cheap and they are first.
    But as time progresses there will be others, maybe better, maybe safer.

I'm sure that pharmacist would have been fine with the Chinese CoronaVac vaccine which is pretty much just dead corona virus injected.
    It's close to traditional vaccines.

• Advertisement

The changing DNA idea seems to be common with those of bloodgroup tinfoil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement