Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

biko wrote: »
    They have been tested on animals and in some cases humans.

Are you implying that vaccines will be released to the public without having been extensively tested on humans..?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »
    It's not clear if this guy is anti-vaxer in general or just this covid stuff.
    I'd say he probably ok with old school vaccines but not this one.

From the article he thought Moderna "was not safe for people and could harm them and change their DNA" so he left the vials in room temp to deactivate the vaccine.

The AstraZeneca shot is a "viral vector vaccine", where a specially engineered virus that normally causes chimpanzees to get the common cold delivers genetic instructions to human cells to make the spike protein jutting out from the new coronavirus's surface.

The Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines use a new technology which packs messenger RNA (mRNA) inside tiny fat droplets to instruct cells to make the spike protein.

Tbh, we don't know enough of these vaccines to say they are the best, or even if they are perfectly safe.
    They have been tested on animals and in some cases humans.
    They are fairly cheap and they are first.
    But as time progresses there will be others, maybe better, maybe safer.

I'm sure that pharmacist would have been fine with the Chinese CoronaVac vaccine which is pretty much just dead corona virus injected.
    It's close to traditional vaccines.

they have all been tested on humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ironically Gemma and her Gemmaroids make a big show of being into the old time religion. They can believe in certain things that they haven't seen :p

Gemma is gone
    The cop she videoed last year has died

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you implying that vaccines will be released to the public without having been extensively tested on humans..?
    Sorry, yes the relevant vaccines have been tested on humans. I updated my post.

Currently, two vaccines are authorised:
    ​​​​Pfizer-BioNTech
    Moderna

3 are in Phase 3:
    AstraZeneca
    Janssen
    Novavax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

Gemma is gone
    The cop she videoed last year has died

What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

paul71 wrote: »
    What happened?

A garda she personally filmed and identified last year, committed suicide.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gardaf390-gemmaodoherty-dublin-video-lockdown-19577147

I would personally like to see her f'ed into oblivion in what legal means possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    A garda she personally filmed and identified last year, committed suicide.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gardaf390-gemmaodoherty-dublin-video-lockdown-19577147

I would personally like to see her f'ed into oblivion in what legal means possible.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The Taxi driver sounds more street wise than his son.

There is noway anyone can know how "safe" the vaccine is until its been around for a number of years then the full side effect profile will start to become known.

I would never even think of taking a new vaccine or any medical product until its been on the market for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Somewhat tongue in cheek, but one local gaa club is certainly backing science over social media "facts" from the anti vax side

https://twitter.com/ClannGAA/status/1359566227933454337?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

rn wrote: »
    Somewhat tongue in cheek, but one local gaa club is certainly backing science over social media "facts" from the anti vax side

https://twitter.com/ClannGAA/status/1359566227933454337?s=19
    So exposing yourself to germs is now equivalent to being injected with an mRNA vaccine? Stupid comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Isn't that the basis for many jokes... But what I like about it is that it encourages the people in the community to take the vaccine.

rn wrote: »
    Isn't that the basis for many jokes... But what I like about it is that it encourages the people in the community to take the vaccine.

It just makes it not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Second dose Moderna vaccine due today, looking forward to it and another small step towards normality.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Second dose Moderna vaccine due today, looking forward to it and another small step towards normality.

No normality for you as no proof that they stop you transmitting it. You still need to social distance and wear a mask etc. Peace of mind for you though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

No normality for you as no proof that they stop you transmitting it. You still need to social distance and wear a mask etc. Peace of mind for you though I suppose.

I mean for society as a whole, not myself. Each vaccination is a step closer to the end of this. I know that I will still need to do all the other measures.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I mean for society as a whole, not myself. Each vaccination is a step closer to the end of this. I know that I will still need to do all the other measures.

I worry that once people get vaccinated they’ll stop caring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Undoubtedly there will be a tipping point when enough people are vaccinated that people just don't care anymore. Some will stop straight away but eventually the amount of those acting as if we are all back to normal will be too much for the rest and we will all start acting that way. With a bit of luck that will hold out until enough people are vaccinated although I wouldn't count on it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Undoubtedly there will be a tipping point when enough people are vaccinated that people just don't care anymore. Some will stop straight away but eventually the amount of those acting as if we are all back to normal will be too much for the rest and we will all start acting that way. With a bit of luck that will hold out until enough people are vaccinated although I wouldn't count on it.

Not yet proven that children can have the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Saw a headline somewhere that trials are starting in kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Trials are underway, no reason at this point to suspect that some of them will not be successful. This said, considering that with rare exception, kids (and there are exceptions) don't seem to have as bad a time of it as adults, if we get good enough coverage among the adult population (ie everyone over 18 gets vaccinated), the risk will be reduced for all populations. Although with the newer variants, this may mean they are an incubator for awhile. Until recently the young seemed to be weak spreaders in the community, although this may change with the new variants showing higher concentrations of viral particles (you can see this with Ct values in PCR getting lower over the last month or two here, indicating a far higher viral load in cases).
    Saw a headline somewhere that trials are starting in kids
    I seen the same, hopefully it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice to see someone can learn. A rare thing. After being anti-vax and popular in that cesspool, this woman has turned away from them, largely based on the hate they eventually dumped on her when she started questioning their dogma.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/anti-vax-influencer-covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56922517
    Dr Stephen Karanja, chairman of the Kenya Catholic Doctors Association, advocated steam inhalation and hydroxychloroquine tablets.

He clashed with the Catholic church over the safety of the Covid jabs.

No prizes for guessing how he died.

And it wasn't just religious beliefs
    n 2014, his association opposed the government's rollout of a tetanus vaccine targeting women, claiming it was a sterilisation campaign,

Going to have a good few Darwin award candidates from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't know about that guy in particular(I know it says he was doctor but idk, question marks over that one), but it's important to have some appreciation for the fact a lot of people in the developing world have never had a vaccine, and were never educated properly about what they do. Pakistani Health authorities on BBC were voicing frustration the other day about the issues of vaccine rollouts in their country, as , according to him, most Pakistanis didn't know what a vaccine was or what it was supposed to do, and obviously were suspicious of it for that reason. So, any anti vax movements among people in developing world may be just as harmful, but at least it's easier to see where they're coming from compared to movements in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I work with someone who claims that the US government "made" Covid19.. It's the funniest thing ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Seeing people don't understand the concept of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

job seeker wrote: »
    I work with someone who claims that the US government "made" Covid19.. It's the funniest thing ever..

My wife works with someone similar, an announcement went out last week he was talking time off cus his uncle had died from covid, which means he not believing in covid had to tell his bosses that his uncle died of covid, the cognitive dissonance these people are capable of is insane.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I don't know about that guy in particular(I know it says he was doctor but idk, question marks over that one), but it's important to have some appreciation for the fact a lot of people in the developing world have never had a vaccine, and were never educated properly about what they do.
    This was in Kenya. Where they had 99% BCG vaccination rates in 2016. And that includes the desert tribes and anti-vaxxers.
    Pakistani Health authorities on BBC were voicing frustration the other day about the issues of vaccine rollouts in their country, as , according to him, most Pakistanis didn't know what a vaccine was or what it was supposed to do, and obviously were suspicious of it for that reason. So, any anti vax movements among people in developing world may be just as harmful, but at least it's easier to see where they're coming from compared to movements in the West.
    If it wasn't for anti-vaxxers Polio would be as extinct as Smallpox. The western movements are funding resistance in poor countries or being used as examples. There's a lot of anti-government in the mix where local religious / militia want to keep their power regardless of the side effects.

But it has to be remembered that civil wars were put on hold in areas where the Smallpox vaccine was rolled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anti-vaxxers are in the same camp as the anti 5g crowd, they're mostly made up of new age hippies who've got nothing better to do with their time then delve into conspiracy theories to indulge their whacky notions of the world

best avoided & ignored

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement