Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gar32 wrote: »
    The MMR Vaccine’s Tragic History in Japan
    The MMR vaccine was introduced in Japan in April 1989, and parents who refused the compulsory vaccine were fined. After three months of analysis, officials realized that one in 900 children developed adverse reactions to the vaccine, a rate that was 2,000 times higher than the expected rate.

Officials had hoped to resolve the problem by switching to another version of the vaccine, but the excessive amount of adverse reactions persisted, with one in 1,755 children affected. Testing of 125 children’s spinal fluid determined that the vaccines had entered one child’s nervous system, with two additional suspected cases.

Four years later, in 1993, the government removed the MMR mandate against measles and rubella. A doctor from Japan’s Ministry of Health and Welfare admitted that the separate, individual doses of measles and rubella cost twice as much to administer, and he defended the decision, stating, “but we believe it is worth it.” Furthermore, a member of the health ministry also stated that the ban has not caused an increase in deaths from measles.
    Gardasil Researcher Speaks Out
    “Dr. Diane Harper says young girls and their parents should receive more complete warnings before receiving the vaccine to prevent cervical cancer. Dr. Harper helped design and carry out the Phase II and Phase III safety and effectiveness studies to get Gardasil approved, and authored many of the published, scholarly papers about it. She has been a paid speaker and consultant to Merck. It’s highly unusual for a researcher to publicly criticize a medicine or vaccine she helped get approved.”

Is this just random crap you're making up?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Noticed on the Facebook comments ( besides one woman who catagorically stated the mmr causes autism) is that someone decided the hpv vaccine is only effective for 5 years and everyone after that then blindly went with it. . Plenty "sure it's useless anyway, it'll be gone by the time they are 17". So besides the crap about side effects , now another group probably won't get it because it only last 5 years now.

And they'll be the first to start throwing around terms like sheeple ( insert rolleyes here, I'm on the phone :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

that someone decided the hpv vaccine is only effective for 5 years and everyone after that then blindly went with it. )

Currently, it appears that the vaccines protect against HPV for at least 6 years. Studies suggest that the vaccines are effective at providing long-lasting protection.  Additional studies need to be done to see how long vaccinated people remain immune and whether booster shots are needed.

from the information sheet. So to be fair its not really know how long it will last and if a booster will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lackey wrote: »
    Currently, it appears that the vaccines protect against HPV for at least 6 years. Studies suggest that the vaccines are effective at providing long-lasting protection.  Additional studies need to be done to see how long vaccinated people remain immune and whether booster shots are needed.

from the information sheet. So to be fair its not really know how long it will last and if a booster will be required.

Which is fair enough with a new vaccine. Studies are still showing immunity at 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Any idea who runs the REGRET website/ fb page.

• Advertisement

Lackey wrote: »

There's a difference between any studies done and just deciding that on the 5th anniversary the vaccine entirely leaves your body without a trace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Crea wrote: »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxh3wpFIYAAeGCM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

i know it's only the Journal but it is on a par with some of the sites the anti-vaxxers use.....

FactCheck: No, the reported side effects of the HPV vaccine do NOT outweigh the proven benefits

As for the REGRET, the article above has this to say......
    FactCheck asked the group Regret to provide evidence to support the contention that the HPV vaccine caused the health problems suffered by the 400 young women it represents, and that the HPV vaccine is not safe.

A spokesperson for the group confirmed it was their view that “on balance, the risks of taking the HPV vaccine outweigh the benefits”.

On the question of a cause-and-effect relationship, the group told us:
    We question the safety of the vaccine, but without the appropriate independent investigative tools, we cannot establish the causation link [sic].

They did not provide any evidence showing that Gardasil caused the health problems observed among the girls in question.

On the wider question of the safety of Gardasil in general, Regret directed us to articles reporting decreasing uptake of the vaccine in various jurisdictions, and criticism of it, but only one scientific study.

And in reality, the Canadian study highlighted by Regret does not give any support to their contention – quite the opposite. Its authors even expressly stated that the rate of side effects following HPV vaccination was “low”.

The research, published in April 2016, tracked the rate of AEFI (adverse events following immunisation), as well as hospitalisation and emergency department admissions within 42 days of vaccination, among women and girls aged nine and older in the Canadian province of Alberta, between 2006 and 2014.

In 99.2% of cases, the HPV vaccine administered was Gardasil.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think REGRET are wrong per se to question and interrogate the medical establishment - I just have significant issues with what they are using as the basis for that questioning.

Rebut science with science not whatever it is they are peddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

That is the thing the reduction in sickness mostly from living cleaner healthy lives means the risk of the sickness has drop so much. (Maybe vaccines also helped.) The risk now from all the vaccines to getting closer to the risk of sickness.

HPV vaccine is a good example. 1% of women may get the cancer in the future but there could be say 0.2 % chance of vaccine reaction.

If 70% of cancer is spotted early with smear test and or cured that brings the risk down to near vaccine damage levels. If you add the risk of Tetanus, Flu and all the other vaccines people get these days vaccines are causing way more damage then is reported.

I have followed this subject 1st to try stop my wife from worrying about vaccines. Then I read more and more and more. There is no smoke without fire and the people, the corruption and the media hiding things like vaccine protest in Poland, Italy and France. I have come to understand there is much more to this vaccine thing the stopping sickness.

If you have young children or babies you should read up on all the info you can find not just the manufactures promotional studies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWeJ0f_o3A

Watch this and say there is not some question in your head about how safe vaccines really are.

Gar - you must think that getting an abnormal smear test is a walk in the park. The stress and worry alone is extremely distressing. Then you have the follow up tests - waiting on results. Then you have a colposcopy where the doctor looks up you vagina with a large magnifying glass and removes cells - more test and more waiting. Then you may need to have remaining cells removed usually by burning them off - again legs akimbo lots of activity up the vagina.

After this it's smear tests ever 6 mths to a year for a number of years.

That's just for an abnormal smear test, not even for full blown cervical cancer.

Jawgap wrote: »
    i know it's only the Journal but it is on a par with some of the sites the anti-vaxxers use.....

FactCheck: No, the reported side effects of the HPV vaccine do NOT outweigh the proven benefits

As for the REGRET, the article above has this to say......

Don't get me wrong, I don't think REGRET are wrong per se to question and interrogate the medical establishment - I just have significant issues with what they are using as the basis for that questioning.

Rebut science with science not whatever it is they are peddling.
    So, if I'm interpreting this right: groups like Regret are scaremongering that the vaccine is dangerous, then pointing to falling uptake due to their scaremongering as proof that the vaccine is unsafe?
    Gar - you must think that getting an abnormal smear test is a walk in the park. The stress and worry alone is extremely distressing. Then you have the follow up tests - waiting on results. Then you have a colposcopy where the doctor looks up you vagina with a large magnifying glass and removes cells - more test and more waiting. Then you may need to have remaining cells removed usually by burning them off - again legs akimbo lots of activity up the vagina.
    I would like to add that this is done with what looks very like a crocodile clip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That is the thing the reduction in sickness mostly from living cleaner healthy lives means the risk of the sickness has drop so much. (Maybe vaccines also helped.) The risk now from all the vaccines to getting closer to the risk of sickness.

HPV vaccine is a good example. 1% of women may get the cancer in the future but there could be say 0.2 % chance of vaccine reaction.

If 70% of cancer is spotted early with smear test and or cured that brings the risk down to near vaccine damage levels. If you add the risk of Tetanus, Flu and all the other vaccines people get these days vaccines are causing way more damage then is reported.

I have followed this subject 1st to try stop my wife from worrying about vaccines. Then I read more and more and more. There is no smoke without fire and the people, the corruption and the media hiding things like vaccine protest in Poland, Italy and France. I have come to understand there is much more to this vaccine thing the stopping sickness.

If you have young children or babies you should read up on all the info you can find not just the manufactures promotional studies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWeJ0f_o3A

Watch this and say there is not some question in your head about how safe vaccines really are.

I'm kind of intrigued by this......one of the all time truisms in any investigation is "cui bono?" - not who is Bono? but who benefits? It is the principle that probable responsibility lies with one having something or the most to gain.

So surely given the economics of "big pharma" the incentive lies not in preventing diseases like cancer but in treating them?

There's more profit to be made selling chemo drugs and advanced treatments than there is vaccines so if anything, the big pharma lobbies would be against vaccination.....if there is true corruption going on?

Likewise, I can't imagine a doctor or nurse gets much for jabbing a teenager compared to what they'd get from managing a cancer case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

[snipped] Plenty of other sockpuppet accounts too on both platforms.

Martin Healy owns the domain - not too sure who he is. I suspect he's an acupuncturist which would fit with all the homeopaths and naturopaths but can't be certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Village Crazy Lady

If anyone wants to get angry or even annoyed a little bit check out Regret fb page, its shocking and it makes me angry that they have over 18k followers(how absolutely baffles me). They are a bunch of "emotional terrorists"(am i allowed to say that). There is NO link between the vaccine and the illness that these people are claiming. None, nothing, zero, and if it stops my daughter going through what i did in my late 20s then she will have it when the time comes. I have been following this thread from the beginning and i am astounded by the stupidity of a small number of people. I've been there and lucky for me it was caught very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

jh79 wrote: »
    Personally believe the majority are the usual far left politically arty types rather than the religious right. I think the religious right would be unashamedly up front about their views on the morality of this vaccine.

I think some of them are fairly shrewd operators who know that in this day and age, they have to use spin and bullsh!t in order to sneak their agenda into the national conversation. Maybe I'm giving them a little too much credit, but that's my suspicion anyway.

There's a massive increase in oul wans getting the clap as well, so it's not just the jungwans that have an interest in that.

Presumably the religious right also objects to post-menopausal sex given that it's literally impossible for it to be "for the purpose of procreation"? 🤔

After this it's smear tests ever 6 mths to a year for a number of years.

That's just for an abnormal smear test, not even for full blown cervical cancer.

A friend of mine had one and it was hell. Particularly as she had experienced a horribly abusive relationship and some of the invasive procedures she had to get brought on some PTSD-esque flashbacks. She actually stated at one point that she was considering taking the gamble on it and trying to enjoy life as much as possible in case she was ill, but letting nature take its course rather than go through more of that. Heavy stuff.

I obviously can't relate as a guy (although perhaps once I'm at the age for prostate exams I'll have a better understanding) but all I can say is that it sounded like a big pile of "NOPE... Nope nope nope nope nope".

I obviously can't relate as a guy (although perhaps once I'm at the age for prostate exams I'll have a better understanding) but all I can say is that it sounded like a big pile of "NOPE... Nope nope nope nope nope".
    Let me reassure you, as somebody who is at the age...

The prostate exam is no big deal. Takes seconds. Filed under 'would rather not', but no big deal.

This , from the liberal, via regret, getting shred around now. Came up being shared by a distant relative who regularely puts up "inspirational " pictures and soundbites about being a cancer survivor no less.

http://theliberal.ie/opinion-its-just-not-worth-the-risk-dont-let-your-child-get-the-hpv-vaccine/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't understand the "vaccines cause autism" thing.
    I mean even if it were true, which it clearly isn't, they're basically saying they'd prefer if their kids died than got autism.
    Making them absolute arseholes on two counts

endacl wrote: »

The prostate exam is no big deal. Takes seconds. Filed under 'would rather not', but no big deal.

Are you implying that Family Guy is not the be all and end all for knowledge about life? I'll have you know that this country now has blasphemy laws... :mad:

• Advertisement

Are you implying that Family Guy is not the be all and end all for knowledge about life? I'll have you know that this country now has blasphemy laws... :mad:

What's you have to take into consideration is that the FG characters all have big ol' cartoon character sausage fingers. Avoid an animated doctor and you'll be grand.

:D

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't understand the "vaccines cause autism" thing.
    I mean even if it were true, which it clearly isn't, they're basically saying they'd prefer if their kids died than got autism.
    Making them absolute arseholes on two counts

To be fair, that's not entirely accurate - since getting an illness is not guaranteed even if not vaccinated against it, they're actually saying they'd rather the risk of possible death from disease as opposed to the certainty of getting autism (since they erroneously believe that this is the case with these vaccines).

What's you have to take into consideration is that the FG characters all have big ol' cartoon character sausage fingers. Avoid an animated doctor and you'll be grand.

:D

For a brief moment my brain substituted "FG" for "Fine Gael". Cue mental images of Simon Harris administering a prostate exam :eek::pac::D

To be fair, that's not entirely accurate - since getting an illness is not guaranteed even if not vaccinated against it, they're actually saying they'd rather the risk of possible death from disease as opposed to the certainty of getting autism (since they erroneously believe that this is the case with these vaccines).

But it's not a certainty of getting autism. The majority of people since the 70s have gotten it and we don't all have autism.

Or do we?

kylith wrote: »
    But it's not a certainty of getting autism. The majority of people since the 70s have gotten it and we don't all have autism.

Or do we?

Oh I agree, I'm merely suggesting that the extremist anti-vaxxers (who aren't the "STI vaccines will lead to more sex, which is bad" type) fully believe that it will cause autism, not might cause autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This , from the liberal, via regret, getting shred around now. Came up being shared by a distant relative who regularely puts up "inspirational " pictures and soundbites about being a cancer survivor no less.

http://theliberal.ie/opinion-its-just-not-worth-the-risk-dont-let-your-child-get-the-hpv-vaccine/

Oh look, Cora Sherlock's brother is getting in on the fake news action. Again.

Yeah. Not only is Leo a racist, lying, plagiarist he's also pro cancer.

It's a blood test now. No more bum finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Orion wrote: »
    It's a blood test now. No more bum finger.

One of the less successful Bond villains.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree, I'm merely suggesting that the extremist anti-vaxxers (who aren't the "STI vaccines will lead to more sex, which is bad" type) fully believe that it will cause autism, not might cause autism.

Would a fair amount of them not have been vaccinated by their parents................?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement