Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

nthclare wrote: »

This year's flu is going to be one of the worst ever.

Just curious. Why do you think that?
    This will be first year getting vaccine for flu as I have asthma now

• Registered Users Posts: 38,406 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So we should trust internet soccer moms instead?
    I didn't say that.
    Personally I don't get flu shots or any of that stuff but my son has all his immunisation up to date.
    I'm not saying that they are right nit to get the shots. The issue is that these companies have the reputation that they will do anything for a buck. This is where the breakdown occurs. If you don't trust these big corporations then all it takes is one doctor telling you they are not necessary and you are fully on board the train.
    I'm not talking about myself here, I just understand that it's easy for a lot of parents to be swayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is not accurate.
    The trustworthiness of the companies telling people they need this stuff is a huge part of things.
    We all know how important profit is to these large drug manufacturers, it's hard to trust them when money is their sole purpose for being in business.

You might not trust a drug company, but how about all the doctors in the world.

Grayson wrote:
    You might no trust a drug company, but how about all the doctors in the world.
    You need to read my post again.
    Firstly you seem to be directing this at me. I just told you that my son's immunisation schedule is up to date.
    Secondly I'm not talking about myself, I'm just understanding how easy it is for some people to be swayed.
    Large drug companies have a bad name. They need to work to solve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grayson wrote: »
    You might not trust a drug company, but how about all the doctors in the world.

you mean as in trust the drs....???? noooooooooooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Graces7 wrote: »

So where do you get medical advice from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

This is not accurate.
    The trustworthiness of the companies telling people they need this stuff is a huge part of things.
    We all know how important profit is to these large drug manufacturers, it's hard to trust them when money is their sole purpose for being in business.

It's not accurate. Eg a seatbelt won't prevent a carcrash. It's more akin to every car becoming able to avoid car crashes entirely. Eg the hpv vaccine looks likely to have eradicated cervical cancer in Australia. If we had full uptake of the MMR vaccine, that could eradicate the associated illnesses in a decade or two. It would simply cease to be necessary to receive it any more as it would no longer exist.

So you can go for the big pharma conspiracies on it but it ignores international efforts to investigate all reported negative effects from vaccines. Their safety is looked into and we can categorically say, any risk is greatly outweighed by the long term benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eirpod99

What an idiotic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

jh79 wrote: »
    The voices in her head
    God.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Yes, actually, I would trust the professionals who actually know what they're talking about instead of spouting absolute rubbish. You said above that you are better read that many people here. I have a medical background and can assure you I have done my research. Perhaps next time you want to spread these false claims that actually put people's lives at risk you could actually read some evidence-based medicine and not some ridiculous website with absolutely no evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

sullivlo wrote: »
    The voices in her head
    God.

I had a very similar response typed up, maybe in a more direct vein...
    But that particular poster isn't worth the ban I'd incur.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Anti vaxxers are a dangerous shower of hob goblins. They will be sorry when they get a dose of the pox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

banie01 wrote: »
    I had a very similar response typed up, maybe in a more direct vein...
    But that particular poster isn't worth the ban I'd incur.

Same here, I just can't afford to post the reply I feel is needed.

Trawling the Internet for support of an anti vaccine stance is bad enough but we can't just disregard the training and integrity of very doctor by simply making a sweeping statement. Of course there's always an element of good science and bad science in life but, thankfully, most good science is proven while the bad science still awaits anything resembling verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

fxotoole wrote: »
    That’s a fairly serious accusation.

If you have proof of drugs companies compromising the integrity of the HSE’s tendering process, I suggest you present your proof now, or withdraw your ridiculous accusation and apologise.
    Since when is proof needed? Everyone knows "I'm a mother /parent and I know best" and anything read on "truther" sites can be taken as gospel.

I have no knowledge of the HSE top brass...but when I was a child by dad was a GP .
    we were taken away on a weekend by a pharma company and my father was given hampers and similar at Christmas.
    Perhaps this stuff doesn't happen anymore but it used too.

This type of bribery generousity happens throughout society...for example one I was involved with working in on of the main banks in the boom time, they brought journalists away for a 5 nations away game for the weekend on the piss prior to the launch of a new product and lo and behold - favourable reviews.

I also worked in the life assurance side of side bank and the brokers were treated to many a session.

It wasn't for charity or the lolz...I'll tell you that.

I have no proof but you'd be naïve in the extreme to think this doesn't happen on a high level within the civil service...

Sure wasn't Cowan out golfing with Anglo-man - that's well documented. Remember it's on record they discussed no business at all...:pac:

So you retort is either really naïve or snide in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Our lad is 10 months old, got all his shots thus far and will continue to do so. I wouldn't mind so much if these anti vax fools were risking their own lives but they're putting their kids in danger and others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

paw patrol wrote: »
    I have no knowledge of the HSE top brass...but when I was a child by dad was a GP .
    we were taken away on a weekend by a pharma company and my father was given hampers and similar at Christmas.

This type of bribery generousity happens throughout society...for example one I was involved with working in on of the main banks in the boom time, they brought journalists away for a 5 nations away game for the weekend on the piss prior to the launch of a new product and lo and behold - favourable reviews.

I also worked in the life assurance side of side bank and the brokers were treated to many a session.

I have no proof but you'd be naïve in the extreme to think this doesn't happen on a high level within the civil service...

Sure wasn't Cowan out golfing with Anglo-man - that's well documented. Remember it's on record they discussed no business at all...:pac:

You have no proof, that much is certain, but you still feel free to make all sorts of accusations. Have a read of these documents to see what is required of civil servants.

http://www.sipo.ie/en/Codes-of-Conduct/Civil-Servants/Civil-Service-Code-of-Standards.pdf

https://www.sipo.ie/en/Guidelines/Guidelines-for-Public-Servants/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jh79 wrote: »
    The bees mostly. Sometimes her cat.

That’s why she always complains of being in a jocker and bows out of discussions when backed into a corner.

;D

You need to read my post again.
    Firstly you seem to be directing this at me. I just told you that my son's immunisation schedule is up to date.
    Secondly I'm not talking about myself, I'm just understanding how easy it is for some people to be swayed.
    Large drug companies have a bad name. They need to work to solve that.

What you are saying is that people are gullible and will be taken in by non-medical opinion about Big Pharma and how a herbal drink will cure all ills and medicine and vaccine aren't needed.

Yes, we all know that some people are really as stupid and foolish as that, but those of us who work from an evidence-based perspective are 100% clear that vaccines are better than the alternative of the diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OK

When I was a kid my family were taken on weekends away and given Christmas hampers by the local church. AM i now a sell-out for the church? No, I'm an atheist, as is every member of my family.

Just because people give you things does not make you their thrall.

blanch152 wrote:
    Yes, we all know that some people are really as stupid and foolish as that, but those of us who work from an evidence-based perspective are 100% clear that vaccines are better than the alternative of the diseases.
    And I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out how things work in the real world. You'll never get rid of those types of people.
    Things happen like the super antibiotics that came out and then became a bad idea. The anti side will use stuff like that to advise against taking drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

blanch152 wrote: »
    You have no proof, that much is certain, but you still feel free to make all sorts of accusations. Have a read of these documents to see what is required of civil servants.

http://www.sipo.ie/en/Codes-of-Conduct/Civil-Servants/Civil-Service-Code-of-Standards.pdf

https://www.sipo.ie/en/Guidelines/Guidelines-for-Public-Servants/

you misunderstood my post.
    guidelines mehole….you think the top level government or civil service don't wine and dine pharma executives.. like Brian Cowans golf outing where "no business" was discussed.

Look at our former broadband hero denis naughten and he was cleared in the end of wrong doing.

Are you saying this happens in all walks of government except the HSE? come on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Measles on the uptick, of course, thanks to the anti-vax religion. https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/measles-vaccine-coverage-stagnant-increased-2017/#The_new_report_on_measles_and_vaccine_coverage

Basically, despite 21 *million* lives estimated to having been saved since 2001 by the measles vaccine, anti-vax lying and deceptiveness has caused the overall percentage immunized to flatline at 85% since 2010, 95% needed for herd immunity. 110,000 measles cases in 2017, y-o-y a 31% increase (30 dead in Europe in 2018.)

Good job, Andrew Wakefield! And his willing acolytes on FB and elsewhere.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Measles on the uptick, of course, thanks to the anti-vax religion. https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/measles-vaccine-coverage-stagnant-increased-2017/#The_new_report_on_measles_and_vaccine_coverage

Basically, despite 21 *million* lives estimated to having been saved since 2001 by the measles vaccine, anti-vax lying and deceptiveness has caused the overall percentage immunized to flatline at 85% since 2010, 95% needed for herd immunity. 110,000 measles cases in 2017, y-o-y a 31% increase (30 dead in Europe in 2018.)

Good job, Andrew Wakefield! And his willing acolytes on FB and elsewhere.

And don't forget some of the posters on this thread who support the nonsense of the anti-vaxxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cloudy90210

All anti-vaxxers should be arrested or worse, made sleep with Margaret cash

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

you misunderstood my post.
    guidelines mehole….you think the top level government or civil service don't wine and dine pharma executives.. like Brian Cowans golf outing where "no business" was discussed.

Look at our former broadband hero denis naughten and he was cleared in the end of wrong doing.

Are you saying this happens in all walks of government except the HSE? come on ...

Not sure what benefit would come from civil servants wining and dining pharma executives. The other way round, maybe.

Anyway, I actually work in procurement for the HSE (although in equipment purchasing, not pharma) and actually know what is involved in the procurement processes. Your anecdote does not reflect any current reality.

blanch152 wrote: »
    And don't forget some of the posters on this thread who support the nonsense of the anti-vaxxers.

Just more sheep feeding at the same trough, looking for excuses like 'my kydz autistic because of vaccines' while ignoring mental illness in their family and partner's family, ADD in both, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Not sure what benefit would come from civil servants wining and dining pharma executives. The other way round, maybe.

Anyway, I actually work in procurement for the HSE (although in equipment purchasing, not pharma) and actually know what is involved in the procurement processes. Your anecdote does not reflect any current reality.

Where there's a brown envelope, there's a way. :D
    Actually, I prefer an honest and open system, where gifts, holidays, cases of whiskey, foreign travel and golf club memberships are all on the table, so that everyone knows. No harm, no foul.
    The father of a friend of mine worked as a development officer for one of the Scottish New Towns in the 60s and 70s. Bribery and backhanders from the big contractors was rife, but the development team took care of it in a simple way - they laid it all on the table between themselves, and shared out a lot of the more portable items to other members of the team.

All of them went on Florida golfing holidays, and all sorts of other good stuff, but it didn't make any difference to the ultimate decisions, which were based on merit and suitability for the task at hand. The contractors thought they were pretty smart, of course.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

More news from Italy. Composition of 6 in 1 Infanrix Hexa.

https://www.corvelva.it/speciali-corvelva/analisi/vaccingate-initial-results-on-infanrix-hexa-chemical-composition.html

In Infanrix Hexa we found

chemical contamination from the manufacturing process or cross-contamination with other manufacturing lines;chemical toxins;bacterial peptide toxins;insoluble and indigestible macromolecule that reacts to the protein assay, but cannot be recognized by any protein databases.

We have not found:

Protein antigens of diphtheria toxoids, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, haemophylus influenzae B, Poliomyelitis 1-2-3;Formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde, phenoxyethanol, antibiotic residues indicated in the composition;

All risk, no benefit.

• Advertisement

More news from Italy. Composition of 6 in 1 Infanrix Hexa.

https://www.corvelva.it/speciali-corvelva/analisi/vaccingate-initial-results-on-infanrix-hexa-chemical-composition.html

In Infanrix Hexa we found

chemical contamination from the manufacturing process or cross-contamination with other manufacturing lines;chemical toxins;bacterial peptide toxins;insoluble and indigestible macromolecule that reacts to the protein assay, but cannot be recognized by any protein databases.

We have not found:

Protein antigens of diphtheria toxoids, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, haemophylus influenzae B, Poliomyelitis 1-2-3;Formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde, phenoxyethanol, antibiotic residues indicated in the composition;

All risk, no benefit.

Ohh... An *italian* anti-vax site! That makes it all true!

FWIW, didn't the Italian Government just fire all the accredited scientists from its medical oversight board and replaced them with anti-vax cranks? http://time.com/5360823/italy-anti-vaccine/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement