Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here's research from a reputable site that claims
    Parachute use did not reduce death or major traumatic injury when jumping from aircraft in the first randomized evaluation of this intervention.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k5094

The real purpose of this study was to make a point about how people interpret results from scientific papers.

All jumps were from stationery aircraft on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

Igotadose wrote: »
    It didn't take a real scientist very long to *absolutely destroy* this garbage Corvelva "report."

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/vaccine-pseudoscience-corvelva-anti-vaccine-researchers/

Summary quote:
    "This is a ridiculous study that uses amateurish biochemical methods to arrive at conclusions that support their beliefs. A real study would have asked a question like “are there antigens in the vaccine,” and attempted to answer it with well-controlled, well-designed studies."

So, let's move along, nothing to see here. As is always the case with the anti-vax nutters. When something 'new and exciting' comes out from those sociopaths, just wait a few days and it's always debunked.

A blog?
    Do you even know who skeptical raptor is?
    Where is his research? In what journal Is it published?
    Scientist he is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A blog?
    Scientist he is not!
    He keeps it anonymous to hide from zealots like yourself. Can't say as I blame him. Lots of articles about anti-vaxxers hounding researchers and engaging in abusive behaviors.

And.... do you disagree with his observations on the Corvelva "report?" Really, I know you antivaxxers are all about wasting everyone else's resources debunking your articles of faith, but Skeptical Raptor at least does this pro-bono. If the corvelva "results" are replicated by some reputable researchers, I'm sure we'll be hearing from others about it. But for now, Skeptical's response seems spot on.

Unless you've got some refutation of it? Or, better still, a legitimate study?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

He keeps it anonymous to hide from zealots like yourself. Can't say as I blame him. Lots of articles about anti-vaxxers hounding researchers and engaging in abusive behaviors.

And.... do you disagree with his observations on the Corvelva "report?" Really, I know you antivaxxers are all about wasting everyone else's resources debunking your articles of faith, but Skeptical Raptor at least does this pro-bono. If the corvelva "results" are replicated by some reputable researchers, I'm sure we'll be hearing from others about it. But for now, Skeptical's response seems spot on.

Unless you've got some refutation of it? Or, better still, a legitimate study?

I know who he is. A pharmaceutical sales and marketing rep.
    He is no researcher or scientist, just a foul mouthed pharma rep.
    You haven't seen his gofundme account then.
    What has he actually said about this first report that 'destroys'' it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A blog?
    Scientist he is not!

You've not posted anything even remotely scientific so why are you complaining about this?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I know who he is. A pharmaceutical sales and marketing rep.
    He is no researcher or scientist, just a foul mouthed pharma rep.
    You haven't seen his gofundme account then.
    What has he actually said about this first report that 'destroys'' it?

Are you a researcher or scientist? His blog is rife with actual references to back up everything he says. So show me your research that refutes his statements. Rather than an ad hom attack on him let's have some proof of your nonsense.

Orion wrote: »
    Are you a researcher or scientist? His blog is rife with actual references to back up everything he says. So show me your research that refutes his statements. Rather than an ad hom attack on him let's have some proof of your nonsense.

Problem is (as you so exactly capture in your location), that's not the dogma of the anti-vax zealots like "skeptical". They are required to NEVER believe anything that comes from anyone even slightly associated with industry. Ever. No exceptions. Unless it matches your world view. Then anything's o.k. - magical healing water, colonics to cure colds, aluminum dropped from airplane exhaust to pollute our precious elements, fluoride causing whatever, measles vaccines the reason their offspring are autistic, ...

It's all about the dogma with them. Science is their arch-enemy, and most of them are just acting out their resentment at the smart kids that ended up in science or medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

More news from Italy. Composition of 6 in 1 Infanrix Hexa.

https://www.corvelva.it/speciali-corvelva/analisi/vaccingate-initial-results-on-infanrix-hexa-chemical-composition.html

In Infanrix Hexa we found

chemical contamination from the manufacturing process or cross-contamination with other manufacturing lines;chemical toxins;bacterial peptide toxins;insoluble and indigestible macromolecule that reacts to the protein assay, but cannot be recognized by any protein databases.

We have not found:

Protein antigens of diphtheria toxoids, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, haemophylus influenzae B, Poliomyelitis 1-2-3;Formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde, phenoxyethanol, antibiotic residues indicated in the composition;

All risk, no benefit.

Open disclosure here.. I am not a chemist or microbiologist

but to my eye that study looks to be a masterpiece of waffle or an attempt by someone who has no knowledge if vaccines or vaccine manufacturing to support a predetermined finding..

P's it actually said no formaldehyde was detected..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Problem is (as you so exactly capture in your location), that's not the dogma of the anti-vax zealots like "skeptical". They are required to NEVER believe anything that comes from anyone even slightly associated with industry. Ever. No exceptions. Unless it matches your world view. Then anything's o.k. - magical healing water, colonics to cure colds, aluminum dropped from airplane exhaust to pollute our precious elements, fluoride causing whatever, measles vaccines the reason their offspring are autistic, ...

It's all about the dogma with them. Science is their arch-enemy, and most of them are just acting out their resentment at the smart kids that ended up in science or medicine.

They are very much like conspiracy theorist. They like to think that only they are in the know, everyone else is ignorant and controlled by the government.
    It's like a combination of Dunnin Kruger and Munchausen syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

How do you prove it? I no longer have the slip that was stamped when he got them.

The go back to the doctor or medical centre that did the vaccination and get the slip......simples :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Primary Immune Deficiency (PID) is a name given to hereditary (genetic) conditions that weaken the immune system.

Children with PID are more likely to get infections and may have a hard time fighting off infections.

PID children rely on other children being vaccinated to protect them(the children with PID) from getting an infection that can kill a child with PID.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Primary Immune Deficiency (PID) is a name given to hereditary (genetic) conditions that weaken the immune system.

Children with PID are more likely to get infections and may have a hard time fighting off infections.

PID children rely on other children being vaccinated to protect them(the children with PID) from getting an infection that can kill a child with PID.

Did Australia go through with the 'no jab, no school' thing they were talking about? https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-no-jab-no-pay-in-australia-no-excuse-accepted-for-unvaccinated/

Something Ireland should absolutely adopt. It'll save lives and $$. As old_aussie points out, the 'herd immunity' is critical to immune-suppressed/compromised people. A group the anti-vax zealots could care less about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Unfortunately, we live in a world where conspiracy theories seem to be becoming more and more widespread.

It's a bit like an inability to read social media with a critical eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Did Australia go through with the 'no jab, no school' thing they were talking about? https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-no-jab-no-pay-in-australia-no-excuse-accepted-for-unvaccinated/

Something Ireland should absolutely adopt. It'll save lives and $$. As old_aussie points out, the 'herd immunity' is critical to immune-suppressed/compromised people. A group the anti-vax zealots could care less about.

When or how are people diagnosed with compromised immune systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mulbot wrote: »

Elderly people are associated with declining immunity. Their bodies are not able to fight off infection as easily as younger people. Medical conditions that can result in a compromised immune system would include heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, leukaemia, autoimmune diseases etc.

People with compromised immune systems are also more susceptible to developing cancer.

Elderly people are associated with declining immunity. Their bodies are not able to fight off infection as easily as younger people. Medical conditions that can result in a compromised immune system would include heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, leukaemia, autoimmune diseases etc.

People with compromised immune systems are also more susceptible to developing cancer.

Thanks ,sorry,i meant babies and infants.When or how are they tested for a compromised immune system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Thanks ,sorry,i meant babies and infants.When or how are they tested for a compromised immune system?

All babies would be considered immunocompromised as they haven't had a chance to develop an immune system.

There have been many cases of very young babies dying from contracting herpes simplex 1 virus (the coldsore virus) from people kissing them. They simply have no immune system to fight off infections.

A baby/ child with an illness or disease would be even more susceptible.

All babies would be considered immunocompromised as they haven't had a chance to develop an immune system.

There have been many cases of very young babies dying from contracting herpes simplex 1 virus (the coldsore virus) from people kissing them. They simply have no immune system to fight off infections.

Whooping cough is another potential threat. Problem is you can't administer the vaccine to very young children (minimum age 2 months).

So technically then babies with compromised immune systems are still given vaccines? I thought if someone,such as a baby, is compromised then they shouldn't get a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So technically then babies with compromised immune systems are still given vaccines? I thought if someone,such as a baby, is compromised then they shouldn't get a vaccine?

Having read the above, is that really a question you are asking, or are you trying to stir something, or try and catch someone in some sort of deceit in their answer? It's quite clear to me what the above means, making your question somewhat redundant, but I think it's important that Martina1991 understands your intellectual capacity before they frame their answer at a level that can be understood by you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lab test - you'd see wonky blood

day-to-day, exactly what you'd expect from an immune system not working well

astrofool wrote: »
    Having read the above, is that really a question you are asking, or are you trying to stir something, or try and catch someone in some sort of deceit in their answer? It's quite clear to me what the above means, making your question somewhat redundant, but I think it's important that Martina1991 understands your intellectual capacity before they frame their answer at a level that can be understood by you.

Yes it is a question,if you see at the of the sentence I've included a little squiggley thing,it's an eroteme(shows when a question is being asked). I wasn't asking you anything,so try have some manners and let the question be answered by who I asked.

gctest50 wrote: »
    lab test - you'd see wonky blood

day-to-day, exactly what you'd expect from an immune system not working well

Ok,are all children tested before given vaccines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

No, why would they be, vaccines are not live, therefore they pose very little risk to children receiving them, there are instances where children have bad reactions to vaccines, like high fevers or an allergic reaction if there's an unknown allergy but the instances aren't high enough that we need to test every child to check if they're immunocompromised.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    No, why would they be, vaccines are not live, therefore they pose very little risk to children receiving them, there are instances where children have bad reactions to vaccines, like high fevers or an allergic reaction if there's an unknown allergy but the instances aren't high enough that we need to test every child to check if they're immunocompromised.

MMR and Chickenpox are live,are they not?

You might want to read this as to what vaccines are recommended for children, and at what ages. You've sort-of seized on my original use of 'immunocompromised' in reference to herd immunity as a seemingly sly way to say something about vaccinating children. Somehow, I detect the pattern of another poster in your work, but I'm skeptical it could be that person, they wouldn't do that knowing board rules.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

You might want to read this as to what vaccines are recommended for children, and at what ages. You've sort-of seized on my original use of 'immunocompromised' in reference to herd immunity as a seemingly sly way to say something about vaccinating children. Somehow, I detect the pattern of another poster in your work, but I'm skeptical it could be that person, they wouldn't do that knowing board rules.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

No idea what you're on about or what other poster.I was asking a few questions that I consider interesting. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/1129/1014223-measles-rise/

110,000 people dying of measles per year.

Totally preventable. But making a comeback here in Europe and in South America.

IMHO part of the problem is that disease is rarer now than in the past. It's way too easy to imagine it won't happen to you.

But it's not safe out there. Here's a list of diseases on the watch list. Not all are vaccine related but all are public health risks.

Remember when it comes to viruses,
    Vaccines are pretty much your first, last and only line of defence.

http://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/notificationforms/

This should help

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/types/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes it is a question,if you see at the of the sentence I've included a little squiggley thing,it's an eroteme(shows when a question is being asked). I wasn't asking you anything,so try have some manners and let the question be answered by who I asked.

Got it, answers need to be framed at a level that Homer Simpson could understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

These are not given until the child is over the age of 1. If there are any problems with the immune system they will be well noticed before then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement