Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Before social networks journalists actually did journalism. Science won. Now in the age of instant celebrity any gob$hite can set up a wootube channel.

Look at it another way - should Youtube restrict channels showing how to make bombs, or a channel that gives the names and addresses of black people to racists? These people are actually causing deaths in realtime - that's why they should be restricted imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Orion wrote: »
    Before social networks journalists actually did journalism. Science won. Now in the age of instant celebrity any gob$hite can set up a wootube channel.

Look at it another way - should Youtube restrict channels showing how to make bombs, or a channel that gives the names and addresses of black people to racists? These people are actually causing deaths in realtime - that's why they should be restricted imo.

Not the same thing.

If Zuckerberg were an anti-vaxxing climate science denier, would you support him purging his platform accordingly?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It is the same thing. They are endangering and killing people. They're not just urmagurd chemtrail idiots - they are actively causing death.

Your second line is a non-argument. We are talking about proven science and proof that people are dying because of these idiots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How many times in History has banning an ideology resulted in the demise of that ideology?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How many times in History has banning an ideology resulted in the demise of that ideology?

Probably none. But if they do not have a platform for their views then their views will not spread as readily. Personally i think the genie is out of the bottle on this but it might stop their lies spreading further.

• Advertisement

Probably none. But if they do not have a platform for their views then their views will not spread as readily. Personally i think the genie is out of the bottle on this but it might stop their lies spreading further.

I doubt it. Facebook has already grown as much as it's likely ever going to. There aren't really any new markets for it at present.

I think the demonetisation plan will achieve much of the same things without empowering the anti-vaxxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I think the demonetisation plan will achieve much of the same things without empowering the anti-vaxxers.

Yeah I agree, it's a smart softly-softly approach that doesn't give them a "cause" to rally to

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

At least the governor of Arizona isn't as stupid as the rest of the Republican state legislators. They're trying to pass 'parental objection' bills, and already have a sub-90% coverage for measles vaccines.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2019/02/28/arizona-vaccine-laws-doug-ducey-veto-bills-could-erode-coverage-measles-public-health/3010450002/

Scratching Az as a place to vacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Irish rate of measles up over 200%
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0301/1033682-measles-unicef/

Well done to the antivaxxer scumbags.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,404 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think it's fair to label people with a belief as scumbags.
    That doesn't help anybody.
    I'm shocked at the size of the increase but maybe it's just a case of somebody from/or visiting a smaller community bringing it to a much more populated area. It doesn't necessarily mean that more people are anti-vaxers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

eagle eye wrote: »

Fuk em...their ignorance/willful stupidity has serious consequences. They're called vaxtards for a reason.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I'm shocked at the size of the increase but maybe it's just a case of somebody from/or visiting a smaller community bringing it to a much more populated area. It doesn't necessarily mean that more people are anti-vaxers.
    Irresponsible and endangering lives, reduced vaccine rates correlates with outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Igotadose wrote: »
    At least the governor of Arizona isn't as stupid as the rest of the Republican state legislators. They're trying to pass 'parental objection' bills, and already have a sub-90% coverage for measles vaccines.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2019/02/28/arizona-vaccine-laws-doug-ducey-veto-bills-could-erode-coverage-measles-public-health/3010450002/

Scratching Az as a place to vacation.
    I’m going to Arizona in May :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I don’t think it’s fair for people to endanger the lives of sick people because of antivax bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The other issue is that the perception of being suppressed will strengthen the anti-vaxxer narrative, ie that the elites are out to crush the true believers.

This. If someone is claiming to be fighting the good fight against suppression by [insert: government/mainstream media/big pharma or whatever] then the worst thing you can do is try to suppress it. It's as true for vaccines as it is for banning political parties and holocaust denial laws. It's easier for them to dig in than change their mind and can make them even more dogmatic.
    The fight is for the people who aren't sure, the people who can still listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. If the rate of vaccine uptake in the larger population was what it should be there would have been no outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

As far as I'm aware, I've had all my vaccines, including MMR. Do they last for life or should adults get a booster?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I only found out last year that I never had the MMR. A lot of people in my family were allergic to one ingredient in the vaccine used in the 70s, so my parents skipped it. It’s borderline understandable, but incredibly annoying.

My next visit to the GP is going to be to discuss getting the MMR. I really need to prioritise this thanks to parents who wilfully ignore evidence and don’t vaccinate their children.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You do need a booster for the MMR. Check with your GP, at my age it's every 15 years now and I'm due one in a few. Note that my data are based on US schedules, might be different here and different based on age.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You do need a booster for the MMR. Check with your GP, at my age it's every 15 years now and I'm due one in a few. Note that my data are based on US schedules, might be different here and different based on age.

I have my doubts about the boosters given in the US. It seems like a bit of a racket to constantly update vaccines that are perfectly effective.

This is based on my experience with the healthcare system there. The ethos seems to be to get your back in to your doctors office as often as possible and medicate for everything.

My doctor in the US was horrified I didn’t go for a physical every year. Imagine waiting until you’re sick to go to a doctor, the horror!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Brian? wrote: »
    I have my doubts about the boosters given in the US. It seems like a bit of a racket to constantly update vaccines that are perfectly effective.

This is based on my experience with the healthcare system there. The ethos seems to be to get your back in to your doctors office as often as possible and medicate for everything.

My doctor in the US was horrified I didn’t go for a physical every year. Imagine waiting until you’re sick to go to a doctor, the horror!

This. Tv has made it seem your suppose to just wander in and take up your gp's time and ask them to do a cvrt on you when you feel perfectly fine.
    So I scheduled an appointment out of the sheer fact I've never just gone to see if there was anything wrong.
    It was a short conversation without doing too much. Listened to heart said your blood pressure is up do some exercise. That was pretty much it. No medications required just do some exercise and drink more water.

Washington state outbreak up to 68 cases now: https://kobi5.com/news/three-new-cases-in-washington-state-measles-outbreak-97172/
    59 confirmed in un-immunized individuals.

"To date, the majority of lab results of confirmed cases have matched a wild strain of virus circulating in Eastern Europe. "

One of the individuals traveled to Hawaii. Another 2 moved to Georgia (the US state, presumably.) So, in all likelihood, the virus was on airplanes, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

We are in a strange mixture of highly advanced knowledge, and willful ignorance.

Our understanding has grown so much that to some people it is seen as sorcery & witchcraft, or a conspiracy.

Conspiracies are popular now due to people's mistrust of governments and also because the more we as a species discover, the more we see just how random and ruderless the universe is. Some people can't handle the notion of there not being something in control. For them there has to be someone or something pulling the strings and directing events. Hence why most if not all conspiracy theories have a clandestine collective in control.

We're at a time where Human discoveries have come far enough to shelter people from any awareness of how bad things have been. Their ignorance of the past is used as an excuse to not get vaccinated.

Mix these two together and we end up with a very dangerous concoction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Brian? wrote: »

I think it is a racket. I had blood taken when I went to the my first hospital appointment when I was pregnant and I was told that I 'was immune to everything should be immune too' and I certainly haven't had any boosters for my childhood vaccines. The only booster they suggested was whooping cough, and I wound up not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

kylith wrote: »
    I think it is a racket. I had blood taken when I went to the my first hospital appointment when I was pregnant and I was told that I 'was immune to everything should be immune too' and I certainly haven't had any boosters for my childhood vaccines. The only booster they suggested was whooping cough, and I wound up not getting it.

So if you've not had boosters then are you potentially capable of spreading whooping cough?

kowloon wrote: »
    This. If someone is claiming to be fighting the good fight against suppression by [insert: government/mainstream media/big pharma or whatever] then the worst thing you can do is try to suppress it. It's as true for vaccines as it is for banning political parties and holocaust denial laws. It's easier for them to dig in than change their mind and can make them even more dogmatic.
    The fight is for the people who aren't sure, the people who can still listen.

Amazon's dropping anti-vax "documentaries." https://thehill.com/policy/technology/432301-amazon-pulls-anti-vaccine-documentaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

That KOC woman TD from FG is banging on about anti vacine articles on FB.
    She's like the annoying mother you had in school always sticking her nose into things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

No you don't. If you get your MMR and your booster as a child as part of the normal vaccination programme, you're covered for life

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its the same with dogs by the way. If your dog got the 7 in one and the booster as a puppy, then they are covered for life too. Annual pet vaccines are a waste of money and unnecessary risk to the animals

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    No you don't. If you get your MMR and your booster as a child as part of the normal vaccination programme, you're covered for life

If you got it as a child, yes. If you didn't until you were an adult (I started mine in my '30s), I need a regular booster.

YMMV of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement