Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus route across Quincentenary Bridge

Options
  • 25-08-2017 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

"A move to set up a bus route from Knocknacarra, across the Quincentenary Bridge to Parkmore, to help resolve some of Galway City’s chronic traffic congestion, has passed its critical first step.

The Galway Transportation Strategic Policy Committee has approved a motion urging the establishment of such a corridor and it will now go before a full meeting of the City Council for deliberation."

http://connachttribune.ie/move-provide-bus-route-across-quincentenary-bridge-412/

Not clear if it's just a scheduled route or an actual bus lane. Is a ‘bus priority facility’ a bus lane? A route would be a good start anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A priority bus facility is a bus lane, plus some smart traffic lights etc which give buses priority.

I'm not sure if this is a critical step: getting NTA approval would be critical. And finding an operator prepared to take the risk of running this - most buses do as well from intermediate passengers as from end-to-end ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I just remember when I had to walk across that bridge regularly continually seeing traffic at a standstill on it including i think buses. Was there a service that used to run across there at one point.
    I guess a bus lane would combat that as long as it didn't end at a point where traffic does stand still like the space at the end of the 409 bus lane next to Renmore/Bon Secours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stevolende wrote: »
    I just remember when I had to walk across that bridge regularly continually seeing traffic at a standstill on it including i think buses. Was there a service that used to run across there at one point.
    I guess a bus lane would combat that as long as it didn't end at a point where traffic does stand still like the space at the end of the 409 bus lane next to Renmore/Bon Secours.

The only scheduled service that I know about which uses the Quin Bridge is the UGH staff shuttle.

Other buses use it, but they're private charters etc.

Even a bus-lane which ends at a congested spot can be useful if it moves the bus-passengers there more quickly than they've have got there elsewhere.

The big question here is whether there are enough end-to-end passengers to make it viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It could still pick-up/drop passengers along the route.

There has been a City Direct bus going over the bridge for the last couple of months at around 8:15 marked P&R. I don't know of any park and ride facility it would be servicing so I'm guessing it's a staff bus for one of the factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

J o e wrote: »
    It could still pick-up/drop passengers along the route.

There has been a City Direct bus going over the bridge for the last couple of months at around 8:15 marked P&R. I don't know of any park and ride facility it would be servicing so I'm guessing it's a staff bus for one of the factories.

Thats the UHG bus that Mrs O B mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I was thinking there was a service there years ago that I saw. It was the last couple of years of the 90s or early years of the 00ies when I was crossing that regularly.

Advertisement