Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Press to Handstand with Straight Arms from Tucked Planche

• 25-08-2017 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Can anybody give me some pointers on doing this movement. I can hold a tucked planche for a minute and can do negative handstands to tucked planche. But I am stuck going the other way, I can get my hips above my shoulders but I need to give a little push with my feet to get high enough to move into the handstand,

Are there any weight based exercises I could be doing to help improve this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Can you do a straddle or pike press to handstand?

Are you doing them with locked out arms all of the way through?

Are you maintaining lean and hollow as you press?

Do you have video? It is a pretty complex skill that has a lot going on.

Doing hollow straight arm dumbbell raises can help with this motion as can numerous other exercises to condition the elbows and shoulders to handle these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Yep, I can straddle press to handstand. I am working on pike press to handstand, nearly there with it. Its straight arms all the way with the shoulder blades protracted.I am hollow going up.

Its really just a couple of inches that I need to gain in the lift. I had thought about using ankle weights when I am practising the tucked planche. I have also added military press with a barbell to my routine. I thought maybe I just needed to build up more strength in my shoulders.

For Planche press and straight arm work, it tends to be more the biceps and delts. Try doing assisted versions with a band around your waist of better yet with a good spotter. Straight arm is primarily getting the tendons used to the load and can't really be rushed so it will take time. I would skip the weights and work on the open tuck or straddle planche.

There are some specific dumbbell motions that can help as well as seated curls and triceps pulldowns. This is really to help prevent any chances of tendonitis and keep the area strong.

If you can straddle press also consider trying Stadtler negatives.

Also, try working on l-sit to tuck planche to help build the pressing motion needed to get you up.

Thanks for the advice.

Currently I practice the following as part of an ashtanga yoga type practice. I have practised for nearly 20 years so my body is fairly used to the movements now

Static Holds

Tucked Planche ,
    L Sits,
    the bottom bit of the pike press
    Straight Arm Frog Stand
    Bent Straight Arm Frog Stand

And the following dynamic movements

L Sit to Tucked Planche to L Sit to Tucked Planche .....
    Straddle press to handstand
    Negative Hanstand to Pike
    Negative Handstand to Straddle L Sit
    Negative Handstand to Tucked Planche

And I do weights 3 times a week too ( based on 5 x 5 strength but adding weight very very slowly and alot more reps )

I am recovering from elbow tendinitis at the moment, hence adding the weights to help strengthen the tendons

So I kind of do all the stuff you mention except for the accessory stuff with the dumbells. What exercises might help with the dumbells ?

For the static work, it might be an idea to progress past the tuck if its pretty solid. Also with the bent to straight arm frog you could work on tuck planche push ups to improve pressing strength in the position.

For the weights here are a few ideas for you these are more specific to just build muscle and some of these can be better with cable machines but these tend to work well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-1uQgbeJk

For the elbow, I highly recommend getting a very weak band and doing very high rep curls and extensions I mean 100-300 reps it will offer a lot of benefit to rehabbing the elbows.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the advice

Advertisement