Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Airlines middle name issue

Options
  • 25-08-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All

Quick question, I have booked flights to the US with United via a travel agent through work in November. First and last names were taken and all correct. I was not asked for a middle name and to be fair, i have never been asked when booking a flight previously.

However looking on the United website, if i was to book a flight myself, it does ask for a middle name. So my question is this, if my middle name is on my passport but not on my booking, will this pose an issue? , i suspect not but just asking the question anyway!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

No, I often leave my middle name out and have no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Next time (this applies to everyone) you are renewing your passport, leave out your middle names. It doesn't matter if you are known to the world and his wife as 'Peggy Sue' or 'Paidin Mike' or whatever, it just gives rise to this type of potential for confusion and aggro. One first name is all you should have on your passport. It doesn't matter if you have six 'first names' on your birth cert. you can reduce them to one when applying for a passport.

Most airlines and travel agents only want one first name on the booking so it a lot of cases it doesn't matter but you do not want some dumbass 'jobsworth' in Faro telling you that the name on your ticket is not the same as on your passport.

I was renewing my passport a few years and by mistake put both my first names in the field where you say how your name should be printed on the passport. A guy in the passport office rang me, reminded me that I only had one first name on the old passport and he advised me to keep it that way so I agreed.

Advertisement