Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gpu to buy?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm pulling my hair out here trying to decide,Helllllllp please :confused:

So my choices are to buy a Vega 56 and a separate EK waterblock or a Msi 1080 Sea Hawk which has a EK waterblock pre installed.

Obvious choice to get the 1080 as in nearly all games its a faster card.
    Both will cost me approx the same amount.

Vega 56,
    I want a new monitor soon so freesync costs will be lower.
    Most Amd cards hold up well over time and i do plan to keep it for at least 2 years so it may actually catch up with the 1080.

3 year warranty with the block installed so don't have to find a vega 56 brand that allow cooler removal.
    Better performance now but already out for a while and i hate buying older tech.

Any opinions on this guys would help a lot thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

We still don't know Vega 56 retail prices (for consumers) nor exact release date for Vega 56.

FYI Vega 56 is equal/superior to 1080 when undervolted & overclocked.

But I'd still say get the GTX 1080.
    Also LOL it's not "older tech", it's still the 2nd-fastest GPU Nvidia sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    We still don't know Vega 56 retail prices (for consumers) nor exact release date for Vega 56.

FYI Vega 56 is equal/superior to 1080 when undervolted & overclocked.

But I'd still say get the GTX 1080.
    Also LOL it's not "older tech", it's still the 2nd-fastest GPU Nvidia sells.

It will be under £400 and is being released on Monday at 2pm.

The undervolting & overclocking seems promising.

Its older tech to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

game4it70 wrote: »

It's 400 quid (maybe) for the stock cooler version, which as with all GPU's should be avoided like the plague. Wait till the AIB cards come out at least.

Venom wrote: »
    It's 400 quid (maybe) for the stock cooler version, which as with all GPU's should be avoided like the plague. Wait till the AIB cards come out at least.
    I plan to watercool it so not bothered about it being a reference card.

Here you go:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3020-amd-rx-vega-56-review-undervoltage-hbm-vs-core

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would imagine the GTX1080 is a better option. Comes with the waterblock, full hassle free warranty, and is faster at stock....realistically if you only plan keeping it for 2 years, longevity is hardly that much of a concern.

I plan to watercool it so not bothered about it being a reference card.

Out of interest, how much does the waterblock add to the overall price?

Out of interest, how much does the waterblock add to the overall price?
    Fecking blocks are overpriced for vega as they are around 115e :(
    I know the extra cash could be put towards a better card but then i would still want to WC it because i hate noise :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I would say go with the Vega as the Freesync monitor would be far cheaper than the equivalent Gsync.

I would say go with the Vega as the Freesync monitor would be far cheaper than the equivalent Gsync.
    I'm leaning towards Vega for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Looking at upgrading GPU myself but not seeing the value in the market right at this minute.

Will hang onto my trusty R9 270x for a while yet.

Looking at upgrading GPU myself but not seeing the value in the market right at this minute.

Will hang onto my trusty R9 270x for a while yet.

A GTX 1060 / RX 580 would bring your average fps up by ~50%, and decrease your 1% lows.
    A GTX 980 Ti / 1070, or RX Vega 56 would be 2-3x as fast.

Of course, this is assuming you're playing newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A GTX 1060 / RX 580 would bring your average fps up by ~50%, and decrease your 1% lows.
    A GTX 980 Ti / 1070, or RX Vega 56 would be 2-3x as fast.

Of course, this is assuming you're playing newer games.

Mostly playing BF1 , rocket league and total war Warhammer .

Card runs everything , BF1 is the only one I have had to bring back a few of the settings but I think that could be cpu related as that game is seriously cpu heavy

Fecking blocks are overpriced for vega as they are around 115e :(
    I know the extra cash could be put towards a better card but then i would still want to WC it because i hate noise :p

That's some premium for low noise :pac:

One thing to keep in mind is the AIB cards tend to very quite along with having great cooling. My MSI Gaming X 1070 is almost silent underload.

That's some premium for low noise :pac:

One thing to keep in mind is the AIB cards tend to very quite along with having great cooling. My MSI Gaming X 1070 is almost silent underload.

I know but I'm real fussy.I have no mechanical drives,fan in psu doesn't spin up most off the time and rad fans i run at 500rpms :D

I can see the AIB vega cards being a fair bit more than the reference ones so that will off set some of the cost of the block in my mind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you are doing yourself a disservice by not gaming with a good headset in the first place and worrying about noise :)

Skerries wrote: »
    you are doing yourself a disservice by not gaming with a good headset in the first place and worrying about noise :)
    I was never a huge fan of wearing headsets so i stopped using them years ago.

Well I went with a Vega 56 after all.
    Being able to get a Freesync monitor in the future at a good bit cheaper than G-sync monitor swayed me.

Ocuk had only Sapphire and Powercolor for sale.I went with the latter at £10 more expensive because I know the Sapphire card has a warrenty void sticker on one of the screws.Afaik Ocuk handle the Powercolor warranty and they are ok with cooler removal.Hopefully i wont need to find out if its true :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

FTFY as I was confused at first :D

Ocuk had only Sapphire and Powercolor for sale.I went with the latter former at £10 more expensive because I know the Sapphire card has a warrenty void sticker on one of the screws.

Advertisement