Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self driving buses, trains, trucks etc

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'll lay money with anyone that within 20 years these cars, trucks or planes will neither be on the roads or in the skies above!

Huh?! I've past plenty already in the bay area in California. They are been tested on the city streets every day there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

bk wrote: »
    Huh?! I've past plenty already in the bay area in California. They are been tested on the city streets every day there.

I wouldn't compare testing to every day use BK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'll lay money with anyone that within 20 years these cars, trucks or planes will neither be on the roads or in the skies above!
    i'd say that the early models will suffer from rapid obsolescence, if that's what you mean? but that's not unique to this technology.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wouldn't compare testing to every day use BK!

Well active testing on public roads.

Plus Teslas drive themselves on the highways already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Based in what? 20 years ago people would have said that about the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Yep. Technology throwing people on the scrap heap of life.

And the same will be said for all bushiness that humans do now I think.

Not necessarily a step in the right direction IMO.

No problem for the young. But even the young get old.

Their time for the scrap heap will come too.

Well active testing on public roads.

Plus Teslas drive themselves on the highways already.

If you have a clip of a vehicle in regular everyday traffic I would like to see it please!

If you have a clip of a vehicle in regular everyday traffic I would like to see it please!

I don't have a personal clip, but plenty of videos on youtube, here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TjNJGWJcwk

Note this car doesn't even have a steering wheel!

I don't have a personal clip, but plenty of videos on youtube, here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TjNJGWJcwk

Note this car doesn't even have a steering wheel!

Not a conventional steering wheel but it does have a steering device.

If you pause this clip at 3:10 you will see the driver controlling the car!

Don't believe the hype!!!

It does, sort of a control stick, but I've personally seen these driving around Mountain View without the person touching the stick.

They also have another, newer version of this car with no stick, though it does have a large red emergency stop button if you are being pedantic.

• Advertisement

Try this one out, fecking awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tglVvBjaimo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm intrigued by this whole idea - but riddle me this, surely the changeover to self driving vehicles would have to be done overnight (literally on one night) not phased otherwise the potential for ordinary vehicles to create mayhem while mixing with self drives is mind boggling, or am I just being really thick?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by this whole idea - but riddle me this, surely the changeover to self driving vehicles would have to be done overnight (literally on one night) not phased otherwise the potential for ordinary vehicles to create mayhem while mixing with self drives is mind boggling, or am I just being really thick?

The self driving cars drive right beside ordinary cars. They are already doing it every day in some places in the US like the above videos. Those aren't test tracks, they are city streets.

Avoiding other cars should be relatively straight forward. Avoiding pedestrians/cyclists/etc. is the trickier bit.

Try this one out, fecking awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tglVvBjaimo

Ok, that is impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The self driving cars drive right beside ordinary cars. They are already doing it every day in some places in the US like the above videos. Those aren't test tracks, they are city streets.

Avoiding other cars should be relatively straight forward. Avoiding pedestrians/cyclists/etc. is the trickier bit.

I hope the test pilots (?) are being well paid - I wouldn't be seen dead in one or more likely I would be. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on an article i read a year or two back - much may have changed since - audi/volkswagen seemed to be doing the most work on the interim period; they'd decided/realised that one of the issues with semi-autonomous cars was the expectations of the human driver who might still be required to take control. there were loads of examples of people overestimating what current technology can do, and the step between where we are now, and fully autonomous vehicles is one that needs better management.

also, i wonder what sort of difference these systems would make for fuel efficiency? the computers are probably more easily tunable for anticipation - which is probably seven tenths of getting as much fuel efficiency from your car - than your average human.

realised that one of the issues with semi-autonomous cars was the expectations of the human driver who might still be required to take control.

Completely agree with this and that would be my concern also!

based on an article i read a year or two back - much may have changed since - audi/volkswagen seemed to be doing the most work on the interim period; they'd decided/realised that one of the issues with semi-autonomous cars was the expectations of the human driver who might still be required to take control. there were loads of examples of people overestimating what current technology can do, and the step between where we are now, and fully autonomous vehicles is one that needs better management.

Absolutely, I feel it has to go fully automated, no driver interaction required. Semi can catch you out with the unexpected.

• Advertisement

Ok, that is impressive!

Yea, the coolest bit is near the end when the driver gets out of the car and then the car, with no driver in it, drives around the carpark looking for an empty space and then parks itself when it finds one. Again no driver sitting in the car! Mind blown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MGWR wrote: »
    One thing I'll never get in is a pilotless airliner. Never in my life.

You might want to rethink that: Images show how dangerously close Air Canada jet came to crashing in San Francisco

The sooner we get driverless trams, the sooner this type of nonsense stops: A Luas driver was lucky to hold on to his job after refusing to operate a tram that was due to arrive at its final stop ONE minute before the driver was to 'clock off'

neither of those examples are relevant to whether driverless cars will work, though. a human failing does not mean a computer won't.

Yea, the coolest bit is near the end when the driver gets out of the car and then the car, with no driver in it, drives around the carpark looking for an empty space and then parks itself when it finds one. Again no driver sitting in the car! Mind blown!
    actually, that would be one of the least impressive parts i reckon - low speed manouevring when all other vehicles are stationary. the biggest problem the computers face is judging intent - which is really not an issue in a car park.

something you get from experience of driving - that spidey sense that car X is not to be trusted, there's just something about the driving you don't like, which is often confirmed when they prove they're distracted and do something stupid; detecting that is where these systems earn their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I've wondered if there'll be a big decline in car ownership when fully autonomous driving establishes itself. Mapping every journey will become much easier so providing a car or bus based public service will become much more accurate. ie I can have a car at my house everyday at 7.30 am. Someone near my work can have that car at 8am. Businesses can use a car for courier services during the day and the car can return to commuting at home time. In one way I can imagine it being more efficient. I think it's from seeing so many parked cars all the time, doing nothing.

I've wondered if there'll be a big decline in car ownership when fully autonomous driving establishes itself. Mapping every journey will become much easier so providing a car or bus based public service will become much more accurate. ie I can have a car at my house everyday at 7.30 am. Someone near my work can have that car at 8am. Businesses can use a car for courier services during the day and the car can return to commuting at home time. In one way I can imagine it being more efficient. I think it's from seeing so many parked cars all the time, doing nothing.

Yup, self driving car are expected to make car sharing services much easier and affordable and it is expected to have a big impact on reducing the number of cars built and needed.

This is why Ford, Gm have been getting involved in the rental service side, buying Lyft, MyTaxi, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

neither of those examples are relevant to whether driverless cars will work, though. a human failing does not mean a computer won't.

Self driving cars don't have to be perfect though, just safer than humans...

The advances in machine learning mean that a computer will only fail where it hasn't learned already. But the difference is that human learning is limited depending on exposure but your autonomous car will recognize dangers on a road you haven't been on because of shared learning from other cars that have.

The real problem though is going to be the moral dilemma of self-driving cars.

The real problem though is going to be the moral dilemma of self-driving cars.

Great video, spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't think we'll have pilot-less planes any time soon, but one of the reactions to that incident is interesting. The FAA has decreed that planes in the exact same situation in future, must be be landed using the automation rather than manually, which is one more situation where the computers are taking over and humans have to take a back seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Hype? You're looking at as vid from 2 years back showing tech that's not currently available.

There's a weird tendency for people to say " sure it's not perfect now so it'll never be perfect"

Here's one from this year of a Tesla casually driving some lad to work
    https://youtu.be/6Vsi1Glf__A

Advertisement