Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disposing electrical items at Greenstar Sligo recycling plant

Options
  • 25-08-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, has anyone disposed of any used end of life electrical products at the Greenstar recycling facility down at deep water quay in Sligo?

when we enquired the guy on the gate said its 4euro per car load per visit. Weee say its free to recycle electric goods but say some recycling plants charge an entry fee to use their facility .. well its not free then is it!

I have been paying over the years the same as everyone else the added PRF fee on electrical items, and for reasons of not returning my old items back to the store due to either forgetting or not having like by like items to recycle i have to pay now to dispose of them (or entry fee to recycling plant) - it just dont seem right.

- Unless the guy on the gate thought we had normal household waste mixed up with the electrical Items I dont know.

So, just wondering has anyone disposed of just electrical items only down there and got in free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Have not used it in a while but never charged for electrical goods. There is a fee alright for cardboard and it is a per car fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

dingding wrote: »
    Have not used it in a while but never charged for electrical goods. There is a fee alright for cardboard and it is a per car fee.

ah right thanks, so do you just pull up with all the recyclable electric stuff in the car and he waves yo on no quibbles or anything if its just electrical stuff?

Fancy charging for cardboard, its biodegradable non hazardous refuse! :rolleyes: - should be free to dispose of cardboard and paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There is no charge for anything with a lead (electrical ;)). I guess it's because of the upfront recycling charge now placed on electrical equipment at time of purchase.

T-Bird wrote: »
    There is no charge for anything with a lead (electrical ;)). I guess it's because of the upfront recycling charge now placed on electrical equipment at time of purchase.

what about if its a battery powered portable radio without a lead on it? :) - or something where the lead has been cut of .. its not as black and white as it sounds that advert where it says "if it has a lead on it .."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

T-Bird wrote: »

what about if its a battery powered portable radio without a lead on it? :) - or something where the lead has been cut of .. its not as black and white as it sounds that advert where it says "if it has a lead on it .."
    Ha ha, well personally I put anything with a resistor in it there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Battery or mains powered is all free. Nobody checks for cables. Drop your stuff and go. I've done it loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

As Joek said anything electrical, ac or dc, is free. The entrance now for carloads of domestic waste is via the recycling centre.

red sean wrote: »
    As Joek said anything electrical, ac or dc, is free. The entrance now for carloads of domestic waste is via the recycling centre.

oh right, is there a separate entrance for disposing electrical items than the entrance for domestic waste now? - its been months since i've been down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

GreenStar have merged with Dublin based Panda Waste and they have changed the way they operate down the docks, anybody apart from skip lorries and other HGV's have to use the first enterance (the recycling gate with now installed electric barriers).

Grey bins will now cost you 10 euros and blue bins will cost you 4 euros regardless of weight, if you arrive with a trailer load of black bags etc he will hazzard a guess at what it will cost (no weigh bridge anymore), I kid you not, it's the most unusal set up I have seen.

I didn't realise that. I haven't been there for a while. It had been fairly easygoing down there. Often the cabin wasn't manned and it was up to people to put the money onto a desk inside the hatch. I've seen loads of people driving off and paying nothing.

• Advertisement

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    GreenStar have merged with Dublin based Panda Waste and they have changed the way they operate down the docks, anybody apart from skip lorries and other HGV's have to use the first enterance (the recycling gate with now installed electric barriers).

Grey bins will now cost you 10 euros and blue bins will cost you 4 euros regardless of weight, if you arrive with a trailer load of black bags etc he will hazzard a guess at what it will cost (no weigh bridge anymore), I kid you not, it's the most unusal set up I have seen.

pricey! - in the respect of the other week on OceanFM radio show they were highlighting the issue of illegal dumping in Sligo , now I am in now way condoning illegal dumping in no way and wouldn't do it myself but if authorities don't make it cheap or easy to dispose of rubbish properly in a way i maybe see why some people may be tempted to illegally dump their waste!

A neighbour of mine rang them and was quoted 100€ for a 3 seat couch and 75 for a 2 seater. She'd have had to bring them in as well. She passed on it.

sligojoek wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine rang them and was quoted 100€ for a 3 seat couch and 75 for a 2 seater. She'd have had to bring them in as well. She passed on it.

Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

welll... the last time I left any electrical gear in it was free ... but there was a white hi-ace sitting beside the electrical recycling gear .. as soon as I closed the car door there was a few lads over lifting the stuff and putting it into the van .. they didn't look like they worked there.. that was a few months back .. wonder if its still happening and how they recycle the gear ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    welll... the last time I left any electrical gear in it was free ... but there was a white hi-ace sitting beside the electrical recycling gear .. as soon as I closed the car door there was a few lads over lifting the stuff and putting it into the van .. they didn't look like they worked there.. that was a few months back .. wonder if its still happening and how they recycle the gear ..........

Often mean to drop in a few old electronic items, but would also leave them in such a way that it could not be used again. Last time I was there, the electronics cage was to the left of the porto cabin.

Advertisement