Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Shimano Claris Brakes

Options
  • 25-08-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a quick question you can hopefully answer for me. I want to upgrade the brakes of my wife's cube road bike: Cube Axial.

Now I know I can't simply upgrade the crank and gears and everything as they are all connected to work with each other.

But the brakes look to standalone so to speak and was hoping to get a confirmation of this. They currently have the Shimano Claris BR-2400 and was thinking of purchasing a set of Shimano Caliper 105.

Anyone here who could confirm if this would cause any issues?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Keimps wrote: »
    Now I know I can't simply upgrade the crank and gears and everything as they are all connected to work with each other.
    there's no reason you could not upgrade the crankset, for example - as long as you buy one for similar gearing (i.e. 8 speed or 9 speed, etc.), you should have a wide range of options.
    upgrading brakes won't make *that* much difference, but i can't see an issue in changing them. is there anything in particular she's commented on in regards to what she'd like to improve on her bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Any particular reason for the upgrade? You can upgrade all the other parts individually also except for the cassette (8-11 speed) and the shifters (8-11 speed) this will depend also if the wheels can take 11 speed.

Ultegra 10 speed groupset second hand would be really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Keimps

Thanks for you quick answer magic. It's especially with rain and wet roads that she feels that the braking performance feels impacted. The grip is not great. Not a lot of feel and feedback through the levers.

So it's mainly a safety upgrade. So she will feel more comfortable descending (especially in wet conditions, which, let's be honest, is quite often on the lovely roads of Ireland).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the first things to check if she's not happy with brake performance is the cables, to make sure they're running freely in the housing - followed by whether the bike has the standard brake pads fitted. getting quality brake pads would make a difference, easier to fit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

It may be just the brake pads themselves that arn't living upto expectations.

My wife had similar problems on her new bike earlier this year, (most of here bike is claris but the brake calipers didn't have a name on them), I upgraded her front pads to these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-105-br-5800-r55c4-brake-blocks/rp-prod130683

Also when I got my own bike ealier this year, brake stopping power is the only thing I wasn't happy with, I didn't need the holder so just got these pads (again front only)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CJ1DT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

problem solved (at least in both of my cases)

I stuck with upgrading front only as I try to use these for stopping and the rear to slow down and I'm a tight ass

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips. I will check those first then. Some new quality pads and checking the cables sound like be a better place to start indeed.

Any good brake pads you can recommend? Shimano dura ace brake pads perhaps?

i don't have them myself, but i've seen a few people here recommend swisstops for brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Keimps wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I will check those first then. Some new quality pads and checking the cables sound like be a better place to start indeed.

Any good brake pads you can recommend? Shimano dura ace brake pads perhaps?

these...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/swissstop-flash-pro-brake-pads-full-/rp-prod131692

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Second swiss stop pads

Many thanks for the advise guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement