Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year crop rotation design (with plan picture)

Options
  • 25-08-2017 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

How does this look for a 5 year rotation going clockwise? are the "family beds" okay and are they in the right order. I'm going blind trying to find a an example online which contains the same basic elements as mine - there are so many variations on this theme maybe there is no such thing as "correct"!

Garden_Design_Final_Really.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Your rotation is family wise:-

Green Manure -> Cabbage -> Peas/Beans -> Onions -> Potatoes & Roots

I use a 4 year
    Roots & Onions-> Cabbage -> Potatoes -> Peas/Beans

My comments are:
    - I like a lot of potatoes
    - I lime the section for the Cabbage family each year and wish that to be far away time wise from the potatoes
    - Think chives are a perennial so would not rotate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The plan is representative - it there would be more than one bed for many crops (it's just a bit messy to put then all in). The chives should probably be moved to beside the herb garden.

I'd describe the rotation as - Starting with the top right the beans and peas of the legume family fix the nitrogen in the soil which will supply the heavy feeding brassica in the next bed. That bed will then rest for a year with green manures of both summer and winter types. Before the tuber and roots are planted. The light feeding alliums are the final group.

Dunno if that makes sense. It seems okay to me.

Advertisement