Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent grad - opportunity as a 'Salesforce Developer' - good idea or bad?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I am a recent Comp Sci graduate, and have been on the job hunt for the last couple months. I have found it tough to break into the market as a Software / Web Developer which is what I ultimately want to do.

I am mainly experienced in Java, JavaScript.... I haven't had many offers but I have had an offer for a role as Salesforce Developer. (Not a developer in Salesforce)

The company looks great, good salary, perks,location etc...

I had not really heard of Salesforce Dev but from what I have researched its an proprietary language/ environment made by Salesforce that other companies use to develop cloud apps.

My question is, given the nature of this role where i would be primarily developing with the Salesforce environment is it a bad idea to pigeon hole myself with this language as my first Development job?

Will this be detrimental to me in my career say 3 or 4 years down the line if I wanted to change company / move on into a more traditional role (Java/ JavaScript etc)?

Has anyone had any experience developing with this environment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The developer experience when making Salesforce apps is awful. Crappy IDE support, weird Java-a-like language missing the Java BCL, Visualforce pages. SOQL and SOQL triggers ugh...

Will it pigeonhole you? I think so, but plenty of companies use Salesforce, so it's not like you won't be able to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Salesforce dev is a bit of a niche area so you can make some serious money but yeah you are basically pigeonholed. If you decided in 4 years time you wanted to get into Java dev then you'd effectively be starting from scratch.

Salesforce dev is fine, you just have to get used to working within the confines of the limits set by Salesforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaranimo

That was kind of what I was afraid of.... I haven't had many other options and was hoping that this would be a foot in the door in a career in development and it would not matter too much that it was SalesForce Dev as it is an OO language. Thanks for the responses.... I'll have to continue mulling it over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I'd avoid Salesforce as your first job. The only caveat is if you do decide to take it and think you'll someday like to do non-proprietary dev, make sure you do side projects/study in your free time. Have an active Github profile and learn some standard tech in depth. Without doing that you'll really struggle to find a second job in a more general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

My first post-college job was supposed to be a low paid C++/MFC which would have been a good start to my carrier - regrettably it immediately turned into a low paid x86 assembly language role that was quite niche - most demand would have been in 68000 embedded systems at that time. I was stuck in the place for nearly 2 years, and it was purely my hobbyist experience that got me my next role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement