Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone used a Cocoonababy (or similar)?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 4:43pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone used one of the Cocoonababy type baby nests for sleeping in?

We're restricted on space, so when baba #2 arrives, he or she won't be using the moses basket - it'll be straight into the cot. However, I'd be worried they might get a bit chilly in the cot, and also with our first baby, we had to have him at a slight incline when he slept because he had mild reflux. We had a Clevamama sleep positioner for him, but the one we have is 6 years old, and I can't get replacement sheets for it anymore. The new one has a kind of harness/crotch strap thing that I'm not keen on (I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare trying to fiddle with it at 3am)

I like the look of the Cocoonababy, but it's quite pricey. Has anyone used it and got any advice on it? Or could recommend a similar less-expensive product?
    I'm so confused :P:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Toots wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone used one of the Cocoonababy type baby nests for sleeping in?

We're restricted on space, so when baba #2 arrives, he or she won't be using the moses basket - it'll be straight into the cot. However, I'd be worried they might get a bit chilly in the cot, and also with our first baby, we had to have him at a slight incline when he slept because he had mild reflux. We had a Clevamama sleep positioner for him, but the one we have is 6 years old, and I can't get replacement sheets for it anymore. The new one has a kind of harness/crotch strap thing that I'm not keen on (I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare trying to fiddle with it at 3am)

I like the look of the Cocoonababy, but it's quite pricey. Has anyone used it and got any advice on it? Or could recommend a similar less-expensive product?
    I'm so confused :P:o

Did I imagine it, or did aldi have something similar last week? I thought I saw on a thread here that they had one and that it was good quality, but I'm still a bit baby brained, and the discussion might have been about a totally different product. If they had them, maybe you'll be lucky and pick one up somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Our daughter went straight into her cot from the first night she came home from the hospital... we didn't use a sleeping nest but she never had any issues with being chilly or not settling in it or anything, she slept through quite quickly as it happens. We used to put a book or two under the legs of the cot if we needed to recline it which we did on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RCK1406

I love ours for my LG!! Have it in her next to me crib, I found she wasn't settling in the crib the mattress was quite hard and she was ending up in the bed with us most nights. so took a bit of a gamble and got the cocoona baby. She loves it, took to it straight away.

Start using it when she was about 4 weeks, she's nearly 13 weeks now and will have outgrown it shortly so I don't know what to do when she's too big for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

The price of these things is shocking given their short life spans!
    I would try the big cot first. Tuck large cellular blankets under the mattress when you lay them over the baby to make it nice and snug. If your baby has a particular issue, at least you know the cocoon exists and can buy it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jixa

I got the sleepyhead pod because I read great things about it. Was pricey too @€;160 in Bella Baby but it does until approx 8 months. I did see something similar in boots for €60 so probably does the exact same thing but minus the brand name!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks guys! TBH, if it wasn't for the price, I'd probably have gone ahead and bought it, but it is a shocking price for something that will only last a few months. That being said, if it's as good as it claims to be at helping baby stay asleep, then it would be worth every penny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks guys! TBH, if it wasn't for the price, I'd probably have gone ahead and bought it, but it is a shocking price for something that will only last a few months. That being said, if it's as good as it claims to be at helping baby stay asleep, then it would be worth every penny :pac:
    This is true! If you have a baby that doesn't settle well, it's worth any amount of money ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FurtherAway

We had one. It was a bit of a last-minute solution as baby came early and cot wasn't to be delivered for another 3 weeks. Even then, like you, OP, the cot seemed way too big to us. Too exposed, not cuddly enough for a newborn. We never regretted the purchase. Our child has always been tall (or long if you want, 95% percentile), but it still served us for 7,5 months. Luckily, our child has always been a great sleeper - *maybe* because of it, there is no way to tell, really. Anyway, we loved how cosy and snug it was and how portable. Only downsides are price (doh!) and the fact that at least one more special (and expensive) sheet is needed as accidents (puking/poo etc.) are inevitable. All in all, though, we really loved it and would get it again in a heartbeat. Beats any Moses basket imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I bought one for no.2 in Bella baby think I spent 160 euro or so on it. Never used it! 
    She was a windy baby (which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy) and could not sleep on her back, at all. 
    She could only sleep on her side which rendered the cocoonababy completely useless !! 
    Toots one thing I will say is don't assume baby no.2 will be baby no.1. I had 2 completely different babies. And you have no idea what kind of baby you're going to have. 
    No.1 here loved the swaddle. I had several of them. They were useless on no.2 coz she wouldn't sleep on her back and obviously you're not going to put a baby sleeping on their sides with their arms pinned to their sides! :O So swaddles were useless, cocoonababy was useless, sleepyhead matress (which I also had) was useless.......
    I ended up using this cheapo thing from Ebay which kept her on her side and prevented her from falling onto her tummy. 
    I would order now as they take weeks to arrive, they're cheap-as anyway. I think I had about 4 of them and then used what suited. 
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Baby-Infant-Sleep-Positioner-Anti-Roll-Pillow-Prevent-Flat-Head-Easy-Breathing-W/302261838614?hash=item466035a316:g:HdoAAOSwuxFY1ILV

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Baby-Infant-Sleep-Positioner-Anti-Roll-Pillow-Prevent-Flat-Head-Easy-Breathing-W/302261838614?hash=item466035a316:g:HdoAAOSwuxFY1ILV

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DELTA-BABY-SUPREME-SLEEP-LARGE-DAMAGED-BOX-ANTI-ROLL-COLIC-AND-REFLUX-AID/142462771109?hash=item212b715fa5:g:vRwAAOSwTQhZgGL7

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Badabulle-Sleep-Positioner/252855421795?hash=item3adf5b8b63:g:0zQAAOSw~CFY68XJ

Note: I did eventually get her sleeping on her back after 6 sessions of cranio-sacral therapy, but by then she had outgrown the Coccoonababy. I got 75 euro for it when I sold it on, on a FB group so I recouped about half the money. 
    Thankfully I got great use out of the Sleepyhead pillow which I started using as soon as she started to sleep on her back. I even got good use out of the next size up Sleepyhead. They are a big investment though! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

This was actually my favourite one as it supports their back and props up their tummy thereby stopping them from rolling from their side onto their tummy: 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delta-Baby-Sleep-White/dp/B000SZ90ZS/ref=pd_sbs_75_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S5FKEFS2EJK8RS0QE5BE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Little_cub

I always thought that these were an expensive gimmick until my second baby came along 3 months ago and refused to sleep anywhere but on my chest (which was lovely for snuggles but meant zero sleep for me!). I was desperate and bought the sleepyhead and she settled in it straight away. Could be a coincidence but she's now sleeping 7pm till 5am. I'm now thinking that I'll get the next size up when she moves into her big cot at 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes I think my ALDI have some of their version left from the last special offer. Not sure how much they are.

If it's a space issue would it not be cheaper to buy a Moses basket (with no stand) and actually keep that in the cot. Maybe best of both worlds and would probably be a lot cheaper.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I still have the basket bit from my moses basket from first time around, but the problem is we've got a changing table bit that goes on the end of the cot, and when that goes on, the moses basket won't fit in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I still have the basket bit from my moses basket from first time around, but the problem is we've got a changing table bit that goes on the end of the cot, and when that goes on, the moses basket won't fit in :(

Toots we have Moses basket up. We have a cot bed dismantantled under out bed and our cot is in my parents....I would have had it here dismantled under a bed but baby arrived early before I got to collect!
    In no rush anyway for it ;)
    I don't use any changing table this time round! Last time had two one upsts and one downstairs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Absolutely. I used the cocoonababy with my twins in their cots up until 2 weeks ago from birth. They loved them and learned to self soothe easily. No drama. I moved them to the clevamomma insert to transition out of the cocoonababy and they seamlessly settled back to their happy sleep pattern within 2 naps. Highly recommend the cocoonababy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

We used a cocoonababy with our first baby and I couldn't recommend it enough, he slept great in it and slept through night from 3 months on.

We started with it in our bed for 2 weeks then moved him into cot next to our bed.

I can understand the science of why babies love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

we bought this as its supposed to help with reflux but we were skeptical but at our wits end and it definitely made a difference!! you don't get long out of it but you can always sell it on

Has anyone any advice from transitioning from the Cocoonababy back into her cot she's nearly too big for it and I don't know what do to.

Are the sleepyheads worth it or just back onto the mattress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

RCK1406 wrote: »
    Has anyone any advice from transitioning from the Cocoonababy back into her cot she's nearly too big for it and I don't know what do to.

Are the sleepyheads worth it or just back onto the mattress?

we had this in the last week and we just put her straight in and no bother! we do have a wedge in there but regardless i think your baby will be fine

bungaro79 wrote: »
    we had this in the last week and we just put her straight in and no bother! we do have a wedge in there but regardless i think your baby will be fine

We've taken the plunge and have her in her cot, hopefully she sleeps well!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement