Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you do? Well show me then.

Options
  • 25-08-2017 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I though it might be of interest to start a topic to share little ideas, knacks, etc. Please add your own ideas and olden ways of making do etc.
    Let me start it off by making a clothes peg from an quadplex offcut.
    First we get a boxcutter blade and put it in the vice;

Then we push the quadplex into the blade very carefully so it cuts the piece about an inch and a quarter long.

Then we cut the inside corners.
    Now we cut to size, about 2 and a half inches. And voila, we have a peg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

The rest of the images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not having a boxcutter blade or a vice and not knowing what quadplex is, I just spend €2 on 24 wooden pegs every 5 years or so.

The most "making do" I do is occasionally using old yogurt pots as flower pots for cuttings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I sorta feel I still live as frugal a life as I possibly can, mainly due to a lack of the finance to live a life of luxury. I cut my cloth according to my measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

clever idea enfield many purposes to that, 1 clothes peg, 2 keeps you occupied, 3 gives you a warm feeling inside that you achieved something, well done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Thanks you kindly guys and gals, I am looking forward to your ideas and crafts, us oldies learn lots of little tricks the older we get, why not share?

Like one time a lad I knew had an attic full of wasps nests, an older guy than I suggested buying a sulphur candle (young 'uns dont know what we are talking about, but you can order it in the chemists). He lit it and let it smoulder in the attic and in the morning he removed a stack of wasps nests and the dead wasps. The sulphur candles were an olden way of disinfecting a room where some unfortunate had died from a contagious disease. It corrodes any metals but also gets rid of the musty smell off books and kills everything in the room including bugs and virus's.

Over to you now.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

enfield wrote: »
    ...It corrodes any metals but also gets rid of the musty smell off books and kills everything in the room including bugs and virus's...
    ..and oulwans 'n' oulfellas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

garancafan wrote: »
    ..and oulwans 'n' oulfellas!

Not ideal around plumbing either.

Advertisement