Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underwater mirror

• 25-08-2017 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Finis sell a good swim mirror in the US, but Irish prices are expensive... does anyone know of cheap swim mirror options, or made their own?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

If the pool allows it would something like a gopro not be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Idea behind the mirror is that you can see yourself swim as you go, so can adjust/monitor technique etc as you swim - rather than watching video back. The cynic in me thinks they're a bit gimmicky, but I've never used one so should really hold off judgment.

Afraid I don't know anything about buying/making them tho Kurt!

Yes I understand they want real time feedback, but positioning it would be a problem. It would have to be in your natural line of sight otherwise you would be moving your head out of position to get a glimpse of the mirror which in turn would affect your stroke.

Have only ever read about them so no idea how exactly they work but presumably they are fixed in your line of sight otherwise, as you say, they're a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Cheers lads! I contacted Finis in the US and they are shipping one to Ireland... cost isn't too bad.

The mirror is for an endless pool, so swimming will be static right over it, and stroke feedback should be instant. Apparently you can line up 4 or 5 of them in a pool and they are useful for turns etc.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, can see how it'd work in an endless pool. Nice one, interested to see how it goes for you!

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    The mirror is for an endless pool, so swimming will be static right over it, and stroke feedback should be instant. Apparently you can line up 4 or 5 of them in a pool and they are useful for turns etc.
    Ah yes that makes much mrore sense.

Out of curiosity how much does an endless pool cost and who supplies them?

Sounds like a snorkel would be useful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Unpossible wrote: »
    Ah yes that makes much mrore sense.

Out of curiosity how much does an endless pool cost and who supplies them?

Sounds like a snorkel would be useful too.

They're not cheap, a basic endless pool is about €25K upwards. I got the cheaper Fastlane system in a wooden pool for about €13K from here http://www.agbudget.net/above-ground-pools/wooden-framed-pools/certikin-wooden-pool/certikin-wooden-pool . 3 swimmers in the house, we live a 30km drive to nearest pool, so it will get use.

There is more turbulence than in the pool but that can force you to work on core and leg kick to stay in the stream (core and kick are my weak aspects anyway). A centre snorkel and PB are very useful, and a mirror would absolutely be of benefit. Overall they are more useful for technique work than straight swimming, but obviously you can do straight swimming if you want; its just more like swimming in a choppy river than the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Kurt.

You probably have this already but would a GoPro placed in good spot not give you the same feedback as the mirror? Well at least a GoPro you can move it around.

Advertisement