Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke park hours

Options
  • 25-08-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Can viewing of leaving cert scripts be used as part of croke park hours? I think many teachers would be more prepared to make themselves available if that was the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

paddybarry wrote: »
    Can viewing of leaving cert scripts be used as part of croke park hours? I think many teachers would be more prepared to make themselves available if that was the case.

Has to be whole-school no?

I'd hazzard a guess that there would be very few teachers who would turn down a student's request to view the scripts with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Gebgbegb wrote: »

I'd hazzard a guess that there would be very few teachers who would turn down a student's request to view the scripts with them.
    Most teachers would have leaving certs. Even those that dont could be available to view with students.

Most teachers would have leaving certs. Even those that dont could be available to view with students.

I thought the student would usually always want the teacher they had in 6th year though.

I thought the student would usually always want the teacher they had in 6th year though.
    Yes, but many kids turn up without anyone to view scripts with them. That's why it could be a whole school activity. Other teachers could be on call so to speak, if required.

Yes, but many kids turn up without anyone to view scripts with them. That's why it could be a whole school activity. Other teachers could be on call so to speak, if required.

Then if they turn up alone it's totally up to them. in our school the student requests a teachers presence (voluntarily) and we usually oblige. Maybe for maths and english one of the more experienced teachers might take a few other teacher's pupils to spare them coming in.

• Advertisement

Then if they turn up alone it's totally up to them. in our school the student requests a teachers presence (voluntarily) and we usually oblige. Maybe for maths and english one of the more experienced teachers might take a few other teacher's pupils to spare them coming in.
    You see how it could be made a whole school activity though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There are 10 hours to be done on "other than a whole school basis".

You see how it could be made a whole school activity though?

Yes... I just don't want to do it if I don't have to :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

With the industrial relations situation as it is, i think it would be foolish to make something like this Croke park hours.

If this had been on the schedule for Croke park hours last year, Asti teachers in a mixed union school would not have been allowed to go in. I wouldn't like to have put my students in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have the kids not left the school and thus are no longer students?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Have the kids not left the school and thus are no longer students?

Technically I think they've left when the last class of the school year is finished. Hence the old Joe Duffy shows about kids not wearing proper uniform during exam season and principals saying they can't come in.
    I suppose if a school sets itself up as a centre then they are entitled to view the scripts in the corresponding centre ... but not as 'students'
    Teachers don't 'have to' be there but who'd say no? Unless you have other unavoidable things .

That's my take on it. I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

With the industrial relations situation as it is, i think it would be foolish to make something like this Croke park hours.

If this had been on the schedule for Croke park hours last year, Asti teachers in a mixed union school would not have been allowed to go in. I wouldn't like to have put my students in that position.

Eh, think about why we were in dispute in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I doubt it for the following reasons:

The students are no longer students in the school. It's not a school activity, it's just being facilitated in the school, the same way the exams are not a school activity, just used as a centre.

A max of 10 students are supposed to be in the viewing centre at one time, and given that they come with parents/siblings/grinds teachers/own teachers in tow, I think it would be chaotic having a whole staff hanging around the place.

People are not supposed to be in the viewing centre unless accompanying a student to the viewing and a student can only have one person accompany them per script, so they can't have a gang around a table. Parent or teacher, not both.

Some subjects do not get viewed as few students take the subject. Wasting the teacher's time sitting there for 3 hours.

It's not certified attendance so can't go towards CP hours.

And personally I think it would be a big ask to ask teachers to hang around from 6-9 on a Friday evening. It shouldn't be about incentives to attend viewings, if they want to attend they attend, if they don't they don't. I usually get requests from students to attend and I usually facilitate them and that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe another teacher of the subject is an examiner in that subject, so would be very familiar with the marking scheme from correcting over the summer.

I doubt it for the following reasons:

The students are no longer students in the school. It's not a school activity, it's just being facilitated in the school, the same way the exams are not a school activity, just used as a centre.

A max of 10 students are supposed to be in the viewing centre at one time, and given that they come with parents/siblings/grinds teachers/own teachers in tow, I think it would be chaotic having a whole staff hanging around the place.

People are not supposed to be in the viewing centre unless accompanying a student to the viewing and a student can only have one person accompany them per script, so they can't have a gang around a table. Parent or teacher, not both.

Some subjects do not get viewed as few students take the subject. Wasting the teacher's time sitting there for 3 hours.

It's not certified attendance so can't go towards CP hours.

And personally I think it would be a big ask to ask teachers to hang around from 6-9 on a Friday evening. It shouldn't be about incentives to attend viewings, if they want to attend they attend, if they don't they don't. I usually get requests from students to attend and I usually facilitate them and that's the end of it.

Agree with all that. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

Eh, think about why we were in dispute in the first place?

I'm not sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm not sure what your point is.

Industrial action is always meant as the last resort in a bargaining process, no matter what.

If we pull out of anything, it is because of a huge grievance teachers have with working conditions. If our working conditions aren't poor, there's no industrial action. Whether that is about LPT pay, CP hours, S&S, posts of responsibility or any of the myriad of cost cutting measures our right wing friends hoist on our profession.

Advertisement