Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to register 2 year Warranty on Treadmill with Manufacturer

• 25-08-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I used the search tools to try find any relevant info but didn't seem to see anything along the same lines..

Basically we bought 2 treadmill's and they were delivered in Oct 2015 costing €1200 each , I know we were suppose to register the two separately but with all the excitement we registered one and forgot the other.

Given our luck last week the one that was not registered packed up and is tripping switches in the house, we contacted the seller and they said tough luck and contact the manufacturer.

I know we should have registered it and that's our fault but do we have any comeback at all?

Thank you in advance for any info

Irishfeen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you buy them from an Irish company?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did you buy them from an Irish company?
    Yes, sports company based in Dublin mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I am assuming you bought these as a private consumer here; if it was a business very different rules apply.

Warranties are optional extras from the manufacturer - you have your standard consumer rights against the retailer. The seller can't pawn you off like that, effectively. People assume that this is a 'warranty' or 'guarantee' but it isn't.

If the failure is due to a manufacturing fault you have up to 6 years to make a claim against the retailer (all your rights are against them, not the manufacturer).

If they continue refusing to deal with you, you need to take a Small Claims case against them. Most retailers come to their senses when the paperwork is delivered to them; if it had to go to court you'd probably get 80-100% of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

L1011 wrote: »
    I am assuming you bought these as a private consumer here; if it was a business very different rules apply.

Warranties are optional extras from the manufacturer - you have your standard consumer rights against the retailer. The seller can't pawn you off like that, effectively. People assume that this is a 'warranty' or 'guarantee' but it isn't.

If the failure is due to a manufacturing fault you have up to 6 years to make a claim against the retailer (all your rights are against them, not the manufacturer).

If they continue refusing to deal with you, you need to take a Small Claims case against them. Most retailers come to their senses when the paperwork is delivered to them; if it had to go to court you'd probably get 80-100% of the cost.

I had a crappy wireless keyboard from argos that failed after just over a year.
    Argos refused to exchange it, they say they'll only accept returns after 6 months with evidence that it's a valid issue, so I contacted logictec and they emailed me to say it was a valid issue, which argos then accepted.

Probably worth contacting the manufacturer to see what they say.

• Advertisement

Yes we are private, non commercial customers.

Thanks for the info, we will send them an email and see what they say. By any chance do you know what customer legislation we would be covered under so I can quote that to them. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yes we are private, non commercial customers.

Thanks for the info, we will send them an email and see what they say. By any chance do you know what customer legislation we would be covered under so I can quote that to them. Thanks

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.
    Thank you very much, much appreciated!

Advertisement