Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History

Options
  • 25-08-2017 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there.I have senior cycle History for the first time this year. I'm just panicking as to the vast amount of content to be covered.Sixth years only have the USA and the RSR to cover which is fine but as regards fifth years how long should I spend per topic and should I do one European and one Irish this year or do I start with DBQ.Also when should I start the RSR.Im using Modern Europe by Dermot Lucey but even looking at the amount of material in Dictatorship and Democracy nearly 166 pages alone has me worried about getting everything covered. Also how long should I be spending on America with sixth years.Do teachers leave out any parts or does everything in the books need to be covered.Any advice on teaching senior cycle would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

For 5th years, Id have the European (dictatorship topic) and Ireland (Pursuit of sovereignty) covered and have a good chunk of the USA topic covered.

Depends how your timetabled though.

I dont really leave 'parts' out, but there are some sections that are definitely more likely to appear than others in examination time. Example I rarely hear of teachers putting much time into Pre-War France on the Dictatorship topic, but spend more time on Case studies because of the document question (Irish Topic 6). Key personalities and case studies do appear in exams but from my experience tend to be marked harder.

I make a start on the RSR towards the end of 5th year, and give the summer to have a completed draft (just what works best for us, others have different views) Just ensure a narrow focus and if more than one class of LC history try to avoiding overlapping or repetitive topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruth001

Thanks a mill for the advice 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aine kilbride

Have new class also and am staggered at the amount to be covered. I have many questions and I would really appreciate any advice.

Is the research project an individual project meaning with 15 students in a class there will be 15 different projects?

How long would you give to complete it from start to finish?

Is it worthwhile sacrificing some elements of the course and focusing on key personalities as they always seem to come up?

Case studies! Do you have to do all the case studies? For example if I am doing irish topics 3 and the prescribed topic 6 why wouldn't I focus on topic 6 at the expense of case studies on topic 3? What reason is there to do those at all?

I am daunted by the mass of material especially as my class is very weak . Thanks and am grateful for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Hi All,

I also have 5th years for first time...the course is huge and I am sure am hoping that some more experienced teachers might be able to email me a rough time period for each topic, and/or how much detail on the different topics.

please PM if able to help. The plan I am thinking of is
    5th year Ireland 1912-49 Pursuit of Soverignity - September-January
    5th Year : Dictatorship & Democracy - January - May
    Also get them to decide on a topic for Project by end of 5th year
    6th year - September to December - US
    6th Year up tp pre exams - Document and finish projects

Any practical advice on this welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Have new class also and am staggered at the amount to be covered. I have many questions and I would really appreciate any advice.

Is the research project an individual project meaning with 15 students in a class there will be 15 different projects?

How long would you give to complete it from start to finish?

Is it worthwhile sacrificing some elements of the course and focusing on key personalities as they always seem to come up?

Case studies! Do you have to do all the case studies? For example if I am doing irish topics 3 and the prescribed topic 6 why wouldn't I focus on topic 6 at the expense of case studies on topic 3? What reason is there to do those at all?

I am daunted by the mass of material especially as my class is very weak . Thanks and am grateful for any advice.

Yes, there are 15 different RSRs.

You're doing Government, Economy and Society for Case Study 2019 - so only Economic expansion, RTE and Fisheries. But an essay may appear on a case study for any of your three essay topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

2mature wrote: »
    Hi All,

I also have 5th years for first time...the course is huge and I am sure am hoping that some more experienced teachers might be able to email me a rough time period for each topic, and/or how much detail on the different topics.

please PM if able to help. The plan I am thinking of is
    5th year Ireland 1912-49 Pursuit of Soverignity - September-January
    5th Year : Dictatorship & Democracy - January - May
    Also get them to decide on a topic for Project by end of 5th year
    6th year - September to December - US
    6th Year up tp pre exams - Document and finish projects

Any practical advice on this welcome

PoS and D&D are both HUGE! You have an enormous amount of content to get through and equally for them to learn. I'd consider dropping one of them, tbh.

Advertisement