Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg Incinerator

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear it's steam coming out of it but not smoke - I'm not sure how the lay person is supposed to realise that though.

Maybe do a bit or research? Do you expect someone to call over to you and explain everything you don't understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Moving the port makes loads of sense in fairness to the op. There's thousands of homes being touted for the glass bottle site. Building a massive incinerator right beside it was a stupid idea.

A few high rise apartment buildings would have been highly desirable on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

But why should they?
    Ferry and freight ports are what they are, they are not generally designed to be pretty.
    As already said above, if its a concern for tourism then have them develop Dun Laoghaire for the cruise ships, everyone knows the town's economy could do with the business.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    But why should they?
    Ferry and freight ports are what they are, they are not generally designed to be pretty.
    As already said above, if its a concern for tourism then have them develop Dun Laoghaire for the cruise ships, everyone knows the town's economy could do with the business.

Why would a tourist want to be left in Dun Laoghaire for the day? I wouldn't be too happy if I was left in a suburban town while on a cruise.

There's no need to have a freight port smack bang in the middle of a city that is expanding all around it. It's a prime area to throw up accomodation that's close to the IFSC and Grand Canal Dock. Progress or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OnDraught wrote: »
    Why would a tourist want to be left in Dun Laoghaire for the day? I wouldn't be too happy if I was left in a suburban town while on a cruise.
    They can easily hop on a Dart to Dublin if they want. Not too different to landing in Dublin port and having to be transported to the city centre in a bus/coach I'd have thought.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    They can easily hop on a Dart to Dublin if they want. Not too different to landing in Dublin port and having to be transported to the city centre in a bus/coach I'd have thought.

They just hop on the Luas from the Port which brings them straight to the Guinness Storehouse which is where they all go anyway. 15 minute journey. Getting from Dun Laoghaire Dart station to the Guinness Storehouse could take the guts of an hour if you have to walk from town.

I'm assuming a lot of you have never been in the area the port is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The figures for the incinerator are gonna need some serious sifting through.. The amount of power it creates from waste sounds great, till you start factoring in the extra fuel needed to get the temperature up..
    . . And how much of the waste that fuels it could have been recycled, which isn't the same as waste...
    . . Incidentally I think the best place for a city incinerator is in the city.. It'll be watched/monitered more..
    . And if it's mass burning the cities residual waste, unsorted I don't see how it'll know what it's emissions will be and whatever ash that's left over will have to be treated as possible toxic waste..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I suspect a lot of posters on this thread dont live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They just hop on the Luas from the Port which brings them straight to the Guinness Storehouse which is where they all go anyway. 15 minute journey. Getting from Dun Laoghaire Dart station to the Guinness Storehouse could take the guts of an hour if you have to walk from town.

The Luas is a long unpleasant walk from the cruise and ferry terminals.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Luas is a long unpleasant walk from the cruise and ferry terminals.

Not from where the cruisers dock though. No?

I can't imagine there's too many foot passengers on the ferries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Markcheese wrote: »
    The figures for the incinerator are gonna need some serious sifting through.. The amount of power it creates from waste sounds great, till you start factoring in the extra fuel needed to get the temperature up..
    . . And how much of the waste that fuels it could have been recycled, which isn't the same as waste...
    . . Incidentally I think the best place for a city incinerator is in the city.. It'll be watched/monitered more..
    . And if it's mass burning the cities residual waste, unsorted I don't see how it'll know what it's emissions will be and whatever ash that's left over will have to be treated as possible toxic waste..

It's likely to be more financially beneficial to waste operators to separate out recyclables as much as possible. Recyclables are largely exported anyway.

I'm not sure how much toxic waste you think there is going to be but it's likely to be such a low level that it would meet the criteria for landfill as is the case with the incinerator in Meath. The fly ash and boiler ash is treated as hazardous material and is exported. It's mostly solidified and buried in salt mines.

The alternative is to build more landfill capacity or export increasingly large quantities, which goes against the principle of self sufficiency.

Tourists aren't left in Dun Laoghaire. They're brought in to waiting coaches and brought off to places like Glendalough etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

None of the waste going to the plant is recyclable, and if it is you can thank the good citizens of Ireland for not sorting their waste. Nothing that would have been recycled otherwise is going to be incinerated.

I dunno what you mean by your last point. It knows what its emissions are because they are constantly monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Smaller cruise ships dock right up at the toll bridge, so a short walk to the Luas. Bigger ones dock in Ocean Pier - involving exiting through the warren of port roads. In both cases though, there's usually shuttle busses laid on by the cruise operators to move people to the city centre or further afield tourist attractions.

The ferryport is further in, but at least has the occasional #53 bus.

I think it'd be at least 20 minutes from the cruise docking for the larger ships and I wouldn't be keen on walking around the port area at the same time as trucks were coming in\off a ferry.

Some info here on a previous thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103794459

Tourists aren't left in Dun Laoghaire. They're brought in to waiting coaches and brought off to places like Glendalough etc.

I think they'd have to pay extra for those kind of excursions though? Probably the majority do but if they didn't fancy \ didn't want to stump up for a day trip, they are left to their own devices either on board the cruiser or in the vicinity of where they've docked.

I think they'd have to pay extra for those kind of excursions though? Probably the majority do but if they didn't fancy \ didn't want to stump up for a day trip, they are left to their own devices either on board the cruiser or in the vicinity of where they've docked.

Yeah, that's generally how cruise companies operate.

This has nothing to do with the waste incinerator.

if they didn't fancy \ didn't want to stump up for a day trip, they are left to their own devices either on board the cruiser or in the vicinity of where they've docked.

Beside the dart that gets them into the city centre in 25 minutes, with a picturesque route thrown in for good measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This thread is generating far more waste than the incinerator.

I worked on a maintenance contract in the petroleum storage depots for years and still travel through the area on a regular basis. So I know it well enough.

• Advertisement

Thats how things are done.
    Pay for the excursion if its not included, or go walk-about under your own steam, or stay on board ship, choice is yours.
    Btw, on an average day at the wrong time it could take up to 40mins from where the cruise ships dock to Guinness' with traffic congestion.

As far as the incinerator is concerned, it has been in planning since 1997, so nobody can say they didn't know about it.

How many cruise ships dock less than half an hour from the city centre though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

the moving of the fuel depot alone is costed at around 250 million.
    in addition to that, take the fuel out of Dublin means tankers will have to travel twice the distance to Dublin Airport.
    Dublin Port is not going to be moved in the next 50 years.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Interesting study from 2006 found that:
    "The council's study said that relocation of the port would be the best option for the future of the area in terms of housing and social needs, the local and national economy and the environment. Relocation would also be the best option for the efficiency of port operations and for the growth of its market in exports and imports."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/plan-to-move-dublin-port-meets-wide-approval-1.917114

So we've lost ten years already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

https://player.vimeo.com/video/228684709

For a Steamy ISFW video click above.

Its all about Steam at the Poolbeg Incinerator.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    https://player.vimeo.com/video/228684709

For a Steamy ISFW video click above.

Its all about Steam at the Poolbeg Incinerator.

Good to know Al Pacino's brother is looking after things there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I dunno what you mean by your last point. It knows what its emissions are because they are constantly monitored.

Well, different chemicals need different temps to burn effectively and cause least pollution, and people often chuck any old thing into their rubbish, light bulbs batteries, cleaning products paint, what ever... So controlling the mix will be nigh on impossible... And controlling or predicting the emissions even more so.. And I doubt their permanently testing for everything..
    Incidentally if incinerating sorted recyclables stops them going to a landfill (because of price or whatever) then I've no prob with it..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Well, different chemicals need different temps to burn effectively and cause least pollution, and people often chuck any old thing into their rubbish, light bulbs batteries, cleaning products paint, what ever... So controlling the mix will be nigh on impossible... And controlling or predicting the emissions even more so.. And I doubt their permanently testing for everything..
    Incidentally if incinerating sorted recyclables stops them going to a landfill (because of price or whatever) then I've no prob with it..

This is all addressed. It burns at a minimum of 850C. All that's left at those temps are ash and whatever metals are in the rubbish. Emissions ARE monitored on a permanent basis, you can doubt it all you like but they are. Burning rubbish is not some sort of unsolved or experimental problem, loads of countries have been doing it for years. This isn't even the first incinerator in Ireland, how much do you hear about the other one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement