Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get to Cobh late at night from the city?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

The last train to Cobh is 10:30. I have a bike and was wondering what's the best way to get to Cobh from the city around 11:30 at night. All the bus services near cobh such as glaunthane, littleisland and midleton stop at 11 as far as I know.

I could cycle it , but I don't know what the road is like, plus my day starts at 8am in college. If there is any service or better solution near Cobh at this time, even to reduce the journey, let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Taxi I'd say. You'd have to book one of those bigger ones to fit the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ianol12

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Taxi I'd say. You'd have to book one of those bigger ones to fit the bike.

I'd love to get a taxi, but because of part time work and college - 6 days of taxis would probably defeat the point of me working those hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ianol12 wrote: »
    I'd love to get a taxi, but because of part time work and college - 6 days of taxis would probably defeat the point of me working those hours.

Probably have to review your hours then. Unless you can organise a lift with someone, there are no public transport options to Cobh at 11.30 at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

The last train to Cobh is 10:30. I have a bike and was wondering what's the best way to get to Cobh from the city around 11:30 at night. All the bus services near cobh such as glaunthane, littleisland and midleton stop at 11 as far as I know.

I could cycle it , but I don't know what the road is like, plus my day starts at 8am in college. If there is any service or better solution near Cobh at this time, even to reduce the journey, let me know.

No other public transport options afaik.

A fit person can cycle it and it's adequately safe provided you take the older road(s) in/out of the city; the drivers are absolute lunatics on the new road (referred to by many as a motorway), so not at all enjoyable. It has taken me about an hour in the past regardless of the route taken (in fair weather). Wouldn't like to be doing it every day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I could cycle it , but I don't know what the road is like, plus my day starts at 8am in college.
    The road from Cobh out to the dual carriageway is narrow for the most part, and the dual carriageway (while it hasn't had any cyclist related accidents that I know of) is a 120kmph road, and you lose the hard shoulder as you approach the turn off for the tunnel (100kmph limit there), so crossing traffic may make it an issue. Dark months coming as well, so you'd need to be well lit up for your own safety when you've vehicles coming at you at that speed.

I've cycled that route into the city before, but where the hard shoulder ends, with crossing/merging traffic wasn't great, I just stuck to the back road after that (just takes one person on their phone, changing radio station, etc... to lose concentration and you may be goosed). Not an ideal path, but I've seen a number of cyclists use it.

Try using google maps for the route and see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Additionally, if you are planning on cycling from Cobh to the city for 8am, maybe use the ferry crossing; it'd cut out a few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Additionally, if you are planning on cycling from Cobh to the city for 8am, maybe use the ferry crossing; it'd cut out a few miles.
    And then you've the nice path from passage right up to the back of Pairc Uí Chaoimh.

No good for the return journey in the dark where it would be really beneficial over the Glounthaune route unfortunately.

Advertisement