Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist experiences of religious apparitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

kelly1 wrote: »
    Under Catholic doctrine, the eternal part of punishment is remitted but time in purgatory us required to purify the soul. Of course the repentance has to genuine and heart-felt.

I thought the whole purgatory thing had been abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

looksee wrote: »
    No, it's dogma, will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Rare venture for me in here but i have to ask...

Why bother debate with people who believe in God?

To what end?

They do, and always will. You don't and never will.

There will be no awakening ...it is just an exercise in trolling each other ...amusing as it is at times...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you thinking of limbo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recedite wrote: »
    I was thinking it might be Big Virgin Mary.
    But yeah, it's all good.
    it actually means bloody virgin mary - a non-alcoholic cocktail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

kylith wrote: »
    Whereas under Christianity the rapist just has to repent and they not only get off scot free, the actually get to go to heaven! No consequences there!

Indeed. It's quite possible that Hitler is in heaven, if he repented earnestly before his death. Many of his millions of victims, who rejected Christ, could well be in hell.

pauldla wrote: »
    Indeed. It's quite possible that Hitler is in heaven, if he repented earnestly before his death. Many of his millions of victims, who rejected Christ, could well be in hell.
    It's not so easy guys. The bigger the sin, the greater the humility required to ask for forgiveness. And first you have to admit that you've sinned. Again not easy when the whole idea of sin has been undermined in general society.

The repentance needs to be genuine and heart-felt, as I said earlier. And then you have Purgatory to deal with (under Catholic doctrine).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Belief in God makes no actual difference to free-will.

SNIP

But without that incentive, a lot less good would actually be done.

You can't say belief in god has no effect on free will but then say out that without belief in god (with the incentive of heaven etc.) people would do a lot less good. If I threaten to hurt someone for doing something, would their next action completely be from their own free will, or would it be influenced by my incentive?
    An atheists on the other hand, behaves according to his conscience and social conventions. But lack of belief in God is mostly likely to suggest that there are no consequences to one's actions, unless the person is caught.

So under atheism, if a child rapist commits suicide, he gets off scott-free and the victim continues to suffer. No justice is not done.

Would you rape someone if you didn't believe in god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

it actually means bloody virgin mary - a non-alcoholic cocktail.
    That's valid too.
    Not great for traffic directions though. I'm thinking a really massive statue would be better for that. So I'm sticking with Big Virgin Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Rare venture for me in here but i have to ask...

Why bother debate with people who believe in God?

To what end?

They do, and always will. You don't and never will.

There will be no awakening ...it is just an exercise in trolling each other ...amusing as it is at times...

Why do theists come onto this forum to try to convince us of the existence of god?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's not so easy guys. The bigger the sin, the greater the humility required to ask for forgiveness.
    Great humility?
    Not in the slightest. In catholic terms, all one has to do is tell the sin to an unknown priest behind a curtain in a dark box.

I can't imagine a simpler or less troublesome way to acquire "forgiveness".

robindch wrote: »
    Great humility?
    Not in the slightest. In catholic terms, all one has to do is tell the sin to an unknown priest behind a curtain in a dark box.

I can't imagine a simpler or less troublesome way to acquire "forgiveness".
    And you think sincerity counts for nothing with God.

Atheist motto: concede nothing, never give an inch.

And you think sincerity counts for nothing with God.
    Sincerity? It's up to the religious to decide whether or not they're being sincere :)

I'm sure that plenty and probably most catholics are very sincere when they enter a dark box to explain their sins to an unknown man behind a curtain, as well as to any deities who happen to be listening in, for the purposes of having them forgiven.

It is, as I've said, far, far easier than to go through that, than to have to speak with a real, wronged person and begging forgiveness of them.
    Atheist motto: concede nothing, never give an inch.
    Atheist motto - question everything, even if it makes people uncomfortable.

Sincerity? It's up to the religious to decide whether or not they're being sincere :)
    A bit of nuance here. If a sinner pretends to be sincere but in his/her heart has no intention of repenting and changing his/her ways, the person will not be forgiven.

From the CCC:

1430 Jesus' call to conversion and penance, like that of the prophets before him, does not aim first at outward works, "sackcloth and ashes," fasting and mortification, but at the conversion of the heart, interior conversion. Without this, such penances remain sterile and false; however, interior conversion urges expression in visible signs, gestures and works of penance.
    [/quote]
    I'm sure that plenty and probably most catholics are very sincere when they enter a dark box to explain their sins to an unknown man behind a curtain, as well as to any deities who happen to be listening in, for the purposes of having them forgiven.
    What do dark, unknown, curtain, deities have to do with anything? Are you just having a pop? A bit of sincerity would be nice.
    It is, as I've said, far, far easier than to go through that, than to have to speak with a real, wronged person and begging forgiveness of them.
    True but reconciliation with God is the more important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A bit of nuance here. If a sinner pretends to be sincere but in his/her heart has no intention of repenting and changing his/her ways, the person will not be forgiven.

Doesn't change the fact that a child rapist gets to go to heaven because they're very, very sorry, does it?

Whereas if that raped child grows up to not be a Christian they go to hell.

Is that fair?
    True but reconciliation with God is the more important part.
    Yes, I'm sure that someone who was raped would be just fine with the fact that their rapist was not punished while alive, but that they made up with a god. I'm sure that brings them lots of comfort.

Sincerely though; that attitude that getting in good with a god is more important than making restitution to the actual extant, provable, living person whose life has been totally destroyed is absolutely sickening.

It's not so easy guys. The bigger the sin, the greater the humility required to ask for forgiveness. And first you have to admit that you've sinned. Again not easy when the whole idea of sin has been undermined in general society.

The repentance needs to be genuine and heart-felt, as I said earlier. And then you have Purgatory to deal with (under Catholic doctrine).

Hitler in his final moments may well have reverted to the Catholicism of his youth and repented earnestly and wholeheartedly of his many sins. Even in the absence of a priest, that may still have been enough to get him into purgatory.

Whereas the unknown (presumably Jewish) person that is said to have written on the walls of Auschwitz 'If there is a God he will have to beg my forgiveness' may well be in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

pauldla wrote: »
    . . . . Whereas the unknown (presumably Jewish) person that is said to have written on the walls of Auschwitz 'If there is a God he will have to beg my forgiveness' may well be in hell.
    Nothing in Catholic teaching would suggest that he is.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nothing in Catholic teaching would suggest that he is.

Sins against hope and faith, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No. Anger with/disagreement with God, for which there is a long and respectable tradition going back to at least Abraham.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If there was a loving God, I would hope he would have the understanding that if his Church on earth had become corrupt and self-serving to the point where it drove people away from him, he would place his rage on the Church that betrayed him rather than those who could not follow evil done in the name of good and who held truer to "love thy neighbour" than those that claim to represent him who mouth the words and betray their meaning.

• Advertisement

How could a Jew/non believer be in a Catholic hell?

How could a Jew/non believer be in a Catholic hell?
    If the catholic truth-claims happen to be generally true, then - so far as I can establish - everybody except catholics in general will be going to hell.

Since catholics, however, have widely varying views on what the truth happens to be, I'm inclined to believe that most posters here will be joined in perdition by the majority of catholics - the ones who just didn't believe the right things.

I wonder what it would be like to run an A+A board in hell? Surely the place would be filled with people unimpressed with the vision of a loving god incorrectly sold by the few catholics who don't get to spend eternity roasting their toes in the lakes of burning sulphur.

Sincerely though; that attitude that getting in good with a god is more important than making restitution to the actual extant, provable, living person whose life has been totally destroyed is absolutely sickening.
    Apologizing to the victim is obviously a good thing and should be done but it has no obvious eternal consequences. On the other hand, apologizing to God and asking for forgiveness is the difference between an eternity in hell and an eternity in heaven. That's why it's more important to to be reconciled with God.

Would you wish hell on anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Apologizing to the victim is obviously a good thing and should be done but it has no obvious eternal consequences. On the other hand, apologizing to God and asking for forgiveness is the difference between an eternity in hell and an eternity in heaven. That's why it's more important to to be reconciled with God.

I daresay ISIS suicide bombers would have a similar rationale.

That is a truly sad outlook to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

... is the difference between an eternity in hell...
    So which crimes warrant torture in your opinion?
    And what about apologising to God justifies that torture continuing forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Apologies for not getting back to this question sooner kelly1.
    But of the two scenarios, one being that God is plainly visible and two, God is hidden, which one is most likely to diminish free-will?

Well on the evidence of the Bible, neither. As I've already said, there are plenty of examples of people who communicate with God personally and still manage to disobey him (Adam & Eve, Cain, Aaron, Noah).

Secondly, God himself deliberately compromises the freewill of Pharoah in Exodus 9:12.

Finally, the idea of God hiding himself to protect free will is directly contradicted in several places in the Bible. Jacob sees and even wrestles with God in Genesis 32 as does Abraham in Genesis 12, the elders of Israel in Exodus 24, Moses in Exodus 33 and Isaiah in Isaiah 6.

There is also the merit argument. It's a Catholic doctrine that all good deeds are rewarded in Heaven. So good deeds done freely deserve more merit than those done less freely. This result in a greater good for those who are faithful.

This just highlights the contradictory nature of the Bible. Was Paul wrong when he said:

" nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified."
    Galatians 2:16

or this:

"For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law."
    Romans 3:28

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

You seemed to miss the last time I asked, so I'll ask again, but in more general terms:
    If you didn't believe god would send you to hell for doing bad things, would you do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Would I wish hell on a person who rapes children.... that's a tough one, I must admit.

• Advertisement

That is a truly sad outlook to live with.
    Why?
    oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Well on the evidence of the Bible, neither. As I've already said, there are plenty of examples of people who communicate with God personally and still manage to disobey him (Adam & Eve, Cain, Aaron, Noah).
    ok, so some people are particularly stubborn and blinded by selfish desires. It's a product of original sin. I think my point still stands.
    Secondly, God himself deliberately compromises the freewill of Pharoah in Exodus 9:12.
    Fair enough, but I don't know God's motive for doing so.
    Finally, the idea of God hiding himself to protect free will is directly contradicted in several places in the Bible. Jacob sees and even wrestles with God in Genesis 32 as does Abraham in Genesis 12, the elders of Israel in Exodus 24, Moses in Exodus 33 and Isaiah in Isaiah 6.
    Bit of a non-point I would say. If God didn't reveal knowledge about himself to chosen prophets, we would be still floundering around in the dark trying to make sense of a chaotic world. In pagan times, people believed the gods were capricious and they lived in fear not knowing what the gods would do next. They made sacrifices etc in the hope of appeasing the gods.

The God of the Israelites, on the other hand, was much more predicable and fair. He communicated with his people and made covenants with them. Unfortunately, the Israelites kept breaking their side of the bargain, while God kept his.
    This just highlights the contradictory nature of the Bible. Was Paul wrong when he said:

" nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified."
    Galatians 2:16

or this:

"For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law."
    Romans 3:28

No, Paul was talking about salvation here, not reward. He was saying that our guilt for sin is erased through faith in Jesus and that the good works we perform do not remit the guilt of sin. Merit/reward is another matter.

If you didn't believe god would send you to hell for doing bad things, would you do them?
    We all have an in-built conscience and can choose to ignore or follow what it prompt us to do. So it's still a matter of choice. The threat of hell is of course a big deterrent, just as jails are a deterrent against crime.
    Would I wish hell on a person who rapes children.... that's a tough one, I must admit.
    Genuine question, are you being sarcastic here? Rapists deserve punishment but it's not for me to say who deserves hell. It's important to consider the environment in which the rapist grew up.
    [Edit: I'm assuming your statement was genuine, forgive my question please]

We all start with a blank sheet and some of us are unfortunate enough to grow up with abusive parents and relatives. Evil breeds evil.

Advertisement