Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Around Ireland 2017

Options
  • 25-08-2017 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a link to follow the racers in the RAI 2017.
    It was on blackblox last year but I'm not sure where it is this year.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

Blackbox again. Just finished packing and ready to head to Meath tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Great.

Best of luck.

What team are you and I'll keep an eye out for you ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Couple of boardsies this year (as always) so hopefully we will get some reports.

A cracking event, my clubmates and my workmates have had teams in for the past few years. I always support my club which creates tension.

Best of luck to all entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Haven't seen a thread about this here this year. Started yesterday, watch the dots with this link.

https://gps.blackblox.si/race/31

For full information on the race
    http://racearoundireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

You mean this thread? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

cython wrote: »
    You mean this thread? :)

oops - never spotted it earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,368 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a pal doing this race...but I know nothing about it so can I ask a couple of (possibly stupid-sounding) questions?

I'm assuming looking at the Blackblox tracker that they didn't all start together?

Are current positions/rankings available anywhere? I can't see them on the tracker link I got from the other thread on here.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

threads merged

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have a pal doing this race...but I know nothing about it so can I ask a couple of (possibly stupid-sounding) questions?

I'm assuming looking at the Blackblox tracker that they didn't all start together?
    Teams went off at 3 minute intervals starting at 2pm yesterday, in the order of 8 person, 4 person and 2 person. Soloists then went in the order of Ultra, Recumbent and then the rest at the same 3 minute intervals starting from 4pm.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are current positions/rankings available anywhere? I can't see them on the tracker link I got from the other thread on here.

Thanks!
    I think the tracker link will order by position in the table on the left hand side (desktop version), which is determined by average speed to date in the race. You can filter by category then if you want to see easily who'e leading a particular one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i note the race takes in several roads in inishowen which were damaged last week. did they detour?

• Advertisement

i note the race takes in several roads in inishowen which were damaged last week. did they detour?

Yes. However the detours were determined too late for the online tracker route to be updated, hence there was some confusion for dot watchers last night when they all took the below detour that Team Aspect are on (and missed Mamore, incidentally!)

21150191_1648967181800756_7007796447060401719_n.jpg?oh=1e39a5a74053a528f767bc98ea524bc0&oe=5A208564

Their own description of the route change reads as follows:
    RAI wrote:
    ROUTE CHANGE IN DONEGAL

TS03 to TS04
    OLD ROUTE: Foyle Bridge, Muff, Quigleys Point, Carndonagh
    NEW ROUTE: Foyle Bridge, Burnfoot, Buncrana, Clonmany, Ballyliffin, Carndonagh

There were several last minute route alterations (talking to one of the organisers this morning). Looks like the Mamore gap is out as well.

Dan Fallon (first person to attempt it on a recumbent) seems to be DNF already, and if not he's gone off route (again) heading for Omagh. Nothing on the RAI Facebook page about it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Pat Doocey is motoring. After making the step up after winning the ultra event last year.

Also has team experience from the RAAM.

Regular attendee on Audax events and an organiser. Top man

ford2600 wrote: »
    Pat Doocey is motoring. After making the step up after winning the ultra event last year.

I like Pat, met him a few times at different audaxes, really nice guy, and happy to share his knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Nicole Reist is way ahead of the nearest solo participant.

She is at 1050km with leading solo man, Henk Verouden at 954km.

Pat Doocey still going well at 904km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

All the 4 person teams seem to have set off 3 mins apart, except for the Ninety Niners who seem to be on the road for about 2 hours more.
    Is the timing incorrect cos I reckon that the Ninety Niners would be ranked much higher if their "elapsed time" is 2 hours more than it should be ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    All the 4 person teams seem to have set off 3 mins apart, except for the Ninety Niners who seem to be on the road for about 2 hours more.
    Is the timing incorrect cos I reckon that the Ninety Niners would be ranked much higher if their "elapsed time" is 2 hours more than it should be ?

I suspect that's a glitch on the timing side. As you say, they were all at 3 minute intervals counting back from 411 to 401, so Galway Baybes first off, and Tiernans last. Since all the 4 person teams actually made the start, it was all 3 minute gaps (in categories where there was a DNS, then there was a 6 minute gap between starts. Realistically they should probably be in 2nd now based on the distance left to cover - all bar Aspect are behind them, and the 5 km gap between Ninety-Niners and Tiernans is more than the 3 minute head start they got over them.

Only other option I can think of would be penalties but usually they are announced and I haven't seen any on social media, plus I don't think they ever added these on to the tracker in real time in previous years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Looks like a great battle between the Veloroos & Tiernans!

colm18 wrote: »
    Looks like a great battle between the Veloroos & Tiernans!

Ninety-Niners in that mix too by the looks of it. Remember Tiernans and Ninety-Niners only had a 3 minute gap between them, while Veloroos had about 24 mins on Ninety-Niners and 27 mins on Tiernans (if my maths are right), meaning Veloroos need to be maybe 10-15 km ahead on the road (at current average speeds) to be considered "level" with them.

EDIT: Unfortunately as they head through Wicklow the tracker gets patchy (as can be seen from the last update times) so there are large margins for error in any estimates at the moment!

• Advertisement

Ninety-Niners in that mix too by the looks of it. Remember Tiernans and Ninety-Niners only had a 3 minute gap between them, while Veloroos had about 24 mins on Ninety-Niners and 27 mins on Tiernans (if my maths are right), meaning Veloroos need to be maybe 10-15 km ahead on the road (at current average speeds) to be considered "level" with them.

EDIT: Unfortunately as they head through Wicklow the tracker gets patchy (as can be seen from the last update times) so there are large margins for error in any estimates at the moment!

Ha,

I misunderstood the starts, I thought Tiernans were first out of the blocks, so they are actually doing far better than expected (and they were top 3 the way I had read it). Epic battle between the three. Veloroos, 99ers and Tiernans have all gone back and forth over night. Reading posts from some of the follow cars, it sounded like an open race for a few hours overnight.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ha,

I misunderstood the starts, I thought Tiernans were first out of the blocks, so they are actually doing far better than expected (and they were top 3 the way I had read it). Epic battle between the three. Veloroos, 99ers and Tiernans have all gone back and forth over night. Reading posts from some of the follow cars, it sounded like an open race for a few hours overnight.

They're all within 2-3km of each other around the Sally Gap now - madness considering the distance they've been going for!

All within 3km except for Team Aspect, who only have a very slight gain in the average speed.

If I have calculated this right, they have around 35km on the 3 teams behind.

Difference in pace is about 0.3km/hr.

Since they started 27/30minutes ahead, the difference at the average of 30kmph is actually half an hour riding between 1st place and 2nd/3rd place.

Not sure why the 99ers are still showing as two hours down, maybe a tracking error not corrected or a time punishement.

Ah yeah, Aspect are reasonably comfortably in first place at the moment (they have over an hour lead, and had a 21/24 minute head start on the other 2 4-man teams currently competing, and started after Veloroos), and it's currently between Ninety Niners and Tiernans for 2nd (damn discrepancy making it hard to tell!) since Veloroos basically need to be halfway between where they are and where Aspect are to be properly level with those currently around them.

This just might end up being one of the closest things to a sprint to the line the RAI has seen!

Team Aspect will be at the finish line before 2pm at this rate. 60km away.

Tiernans seem to be within 2km of Ninety Niners. Given the 3 minute head start afforded the latter, I think Tiernans are virtually neck and neck with Ninety Niners for second now, so will be very interesting to see how the next couple of hours play out - will they be able to crack on to pass and stay ahead?

With Aspect in Trim I think they're virtually assured the win, so 2nd is what's left to race for among the other teams, and likely to be the closest contest in the whole race!

Tiernans seem to be within 2km of Ninety Niners. Given the 3 minute head start afforded the latter, I think Tiernans are virtually neck and neck with Ninety Niners for second now, so will be very interesting to see how the next couple of hours play out - will they be able to crack on to pass and stay ahead?

Just over 1km now, insane pace,

Average pace is also increasing for the top few teams?!? Insame. Team Aspect may actually average out at 30kmph.

99ers opening up their lead a bit again now, wherever they managed to pull their current ~7-8km lead from over the nearest two teams. That's only about a 10-15 minute advantage at current averages though, so nothing decided yet. They also had a 3 minute head start on Tiernans though, so they need to keep the nose to the grindstone, as Tiernans don't have to pass them physically to pass them in the race.

Veloroos and Tiernans are still within 1km of each other, with Tiernans having passed the Veloroos around the Lamb, and Veloroos overtaking again since! Current standings are almost surely (assuming no penalties, simply as I haven't seen any published yet per other years):
    1. Aspect
    2. 99ers
    3. Tiernans
    4. Veloroos

EDIT: AS I post that 99ers seemed to have paused in Athboy (tracker was saying updated seconds ago, but they'd been at the same point for a few minutes then). Of course this may simply be the follow car, and the cyclist may be gone on ahead, assuming the same tracker system as other years with the GPS in said car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

It's a pity that the 99'ers time is wrong on the tracker. Hard to figure out how close they are. Going through the last checkpoint, it was a dead heat with them and Tiernans, both having the exact same average speed, but you can't see that on blackblox.

Advertisement