Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Slatterys barstaff

Options
  • 25-08-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone on this ever worked as barstaff or anything else at Slatterys on Capel Street, Dublin back around 2006?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

May have a better chance here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

DarrenR wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone on this ever worked as barstaff or anything else at Slatterys on Capel Street, Dublin back around 2006?

That was when the Harrington brothers ran the place, I remember a good few of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DarrenR

That was when the Harrington brothers ran the place, I remember a good few of the staff.

Donal Harrington told me he left the place in May 05. I think it was ran by Robert and Lisa Flanagan from then to 2013. I was looking to make contact with any of the staff who worked there around the Summer of 06. Did you know any of the bar staff personally who worked there around that time?

Donal Harrington told me he left the place in May 05. I think it was ran by Robert and Lisa Flanagan from then to 2013. I was looking to make contact with any of the staff who worked there around the Summer of 06. Did you know any of the bar staff personally who worked there around that time?
    Na just remember when the Harringtons had it, Gerry Harrington ran the Castle in Finglas previously to Slatterys and brought a few staff with him. Never heard of the couple you mentioned. Great buzz upstairs on sat/sun afternoon. Everyone would go to the white horse on the quays and when they raised the curtains there it was straight over to Slatterys curtains pulled dj knockin out decent 'coming down but not quite yet' tunes. Happy times

Na just remember when the Harringtons had it, Gerry Harrington ran the Castle in Finglas previously to Slatterys and brought a few staff with him. Never heard of the couple you mentioned. Great buzz upstairs on sat/sun afternoon. Everyone would go to the white horse on the quays and when they raised the curtains there it was straight over to Slatterys curtains pulled dj knockin out decent 'coming down but not quite yet' tunes. Happy times

Did you ever go to Slatterys on Saturday night's in Summer 06 when they had DJ s playing upstairs?

• Advertisement

Did you ever go to Slatterys on Saturday night's in Summer 06 when they had DJ s playing upstairs?

I used go into Slatterys after the white horse, full blown rave from 12.30 until 6,the serious party heads would head across the street to yellow gay bar for more of the same. Drinking, dancing and drugs. I always wondered how could they could afford it week in week out. Always the same faces.

Did you know any of the DJs who played there on Saturday nights around Summer 06?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Did you know any of the DJs who played there on Saturday nights around Summer 06?

I think the Phunk'd up lads (Dean & Barry played there)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Do you have a kid born around nine months after this time?

Lux23 wrote: »
    Do you have a kid born around nine months after this time?

That's funny!!

• Advertisement

I used go into Slatterys after the white horse, full blown rave from 12.30 until 6,the serious party heads would head across the street to yellow gay bar for more of the same. Drinking, dancing and drugs. I always wondered how could they could afford it week in week out. Always the same faces.

Did you ever have a bad experience there with a dj playing music so loud it hurt your ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

11 years ago.. would the statute of limitations not have run out by now for making a claim against the d.j. for hurting your ears all those years ago?
    If it was too loud for you, why didn't you just leave?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    11 years ago.. would the statute of limitations not have run out by now for making a claim against the d.j. for hurting your ears all those years ago?
    If it was too loud for you, why didn't you just leave?

I didn't have time to leave as the incident happened so fast. Some dance music track he was playing was reaching a crescendo and it suddenly got so loud it caused intense pain to my right ear like a red hot poker being rammed against my eardrum. I was holding a drink and had nowhere to put it. He nearly blew the speakers as they made an incredibly loud interference type noise which must have been 150+ decibels and went on for about 5-7 seconds. He had no idea the speakers were reaching a totally unsafe volume because he must have had earplugs in his ears under his headset. These DJs obviously have little or no training and no regard for the safety of the customers and other staff.
    That DJ should have been sent to prison for what he did to a room full of people. I'm sure anyone who was there that night would have permanent hearing damage from the incident. A noise limiter would have prevented it from happening but the regulations for these places are totally inadequate and leave the customers and staff exposed to unacceptable health risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

I didn't have time to leave as the incident happened so fast. Some dance music track he was playing was reaching a crescendo and it suddenly got so loud it caused intense pain to my right ear like a red hot poker being rammed against my eardrum. I was holding a drink and had nowhere to put it. He nearly blew the speakers as they made an incredibly loud interference type noise which must have been 150+ decibels and went on for about 5-7 seconds. He had no idea the speakers were reaching a totally unsafe volume because he must have had earplugs in his ears under his headset. These DJs obviously have little or no training and no regard for the safety of the customers and other staff.
    That DJ should have been sent to prison for what he did to a room full of people. I'm sure anyone who was there that night would have permanent hearing damage from the incident. A noise limiter would have prevented it from happening but the regulations for these places are totally inadequate and leave the customers and staff exposed to unacceptable health risks.

I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not. If not, then you sir need to get a job instead of trying to claim hearing damage for a dj playing music to loud over a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Maybe some ex Irish Army lads can wade in here and advise on the best way to handle this claim. Given how they got on it seems anyone could have a case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

What night was it?
    Who was the dj?

Snipp wrote: »
    I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not. If not, then you sir need to get a job instead of trying to claim hearing damage for a dj playing music to loud over a decade ago.

Why would it be a joke and why do you assume I don't have a job? Another internet troll response? I'm simply trying to find out if there's anyone out there who went to this bar or worked there around that time who might remember the incident and know who the DJs were who played there. They certainly wouldn't have forgotten it if they had been there. I'm not looking to make a claim. The amount of people in Ireland who are clearly obsessed with money is quite embarrassing .

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Why would it be a joke and why do you assume I don't have a job? Another internet troll response? I'm simply trying to find out if there's anyone out there who went to this bar or worked there around that time who might remember the incident and know who the DJs were who played there. They certainly wouldn't have forgotten it if they had been there. I'm not looking to make a claim. The amount of people in Ireland who are clearly obsessed with money is quite embarrassing .

What is your motive so? And why has it taken you 11 years to decide to find the dj in question?

Donal55 wrote: »
    What night was it?
    Who was the dj?

Did you ever go into Slatterys Bar on Saturday nights around Summer 2006? I only went into the place once in September 06. They had been running a club upstairs called Club Friction. There are some old threads on boards from 2006 about Club Friction at Slatterys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Did you ever go into Slatterys Bar on Saturday nights around Summer 2006? I only went into the place once in September 06. They had been running a club upstairs called Club Friction. There are some old threads on boards from 2006 about Club Friction at Slatterys.

I can't remember what pub I was in this time last year never mind 11 years ago
    You're looking for a needle in a haystack!

A lot of those pubs had regular djs, bands etc and then there were times when they'd have guests on a one off appearance.
    I wouldn't hold out much for you finding success in your search without more information.

As an aside, if you're not looking to sue, why are you after this dj?
    Just curious.

• Advertisement

Snipp wrote: »
    What is your motive so? And why has it taken you 11 years to decide to find the dj in question?

I didn't think it was that serious at the time. It can take years after a serious loud noise insult to the ears for the consequences to fully develop into a hearing loss or other hearing condition. An audiologist told me recently I had a reduced tolerance to normal sounds in my right ear and this was caused by the ear being exposed to an extremely loud noise event like exposure to a bomb blast. I told him about the incident 11 years ago in Slatterys and he said that was the cause.
    I'd like to find out if anyone else who went there around that time had a similiar experience. I already checked with the Courts records and no one made any claim against the bar. I even checked recently with the HSA if they had records of complaints and there were none for 2006. I remember seeing the barstaff slamming down the drinks they were pouring covering their ears screaming in agony. What the DJ did was one of the most grossly negligent acts I ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

This is incredibly sad, it was over 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1: The venue would be liable, not the DJ
    2: You ran out of time to sue them eight years ago, unless you were massively under age at the time, as in about ten.

Nothing can be done, nothing will be done. You've zero evidence it was that incident anyway. Give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

I can't see how anyone will hear you out on this one ....

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

liam7831 wrote: »

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think his plea is falling on deaf ears...

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

No deaf-ending such a bad joke

francois wrote: »
    I think the Phunk'd up lads (Dean & Barry played there)

I think you might be correct, doing any residencies yourself lately? Or am I asking the wrong Francois ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

I think you might be correct, doing any residencies yourself lately? Or am I asking the wrong Francois ;)

lol the correct one! Semi-retired myself I do about 6 or so gigs a year at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

francois wrote: »
    lol the correct one! Semi-retired myself I do about 6 or so gigs a year at this stage

Do you turn it up really loud while people are holding drinks?

Asking for a friend...

Advertisement