Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year Geography

Options
  • 25-08-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

This is my first year teaching Geography since qualifying 6 years ago. I have 4th years on my timetable. In our school students rotate between a few subjects throughout the year so I'll have each group for 8 weeks.
    Any ideas on what I could do with them? I don't know where to start, feel like I've been away from Geography for so long!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Hi Rose, I usually do the following. I do a little bit on plate tectonics with them at the start and have an assignment to go with it. Something like write a short report on any natural disaster associated with plate tectonics that you have studied. I usually accompany this module with a video from NOVA (the PBS documentary channel) with a focus on earthquakes, volcanoes etc. The advantage here is that there are loads of worksheets online for the students to do. I also like to do a bit on world biomes so again a few lessons along with something from David Attenborough looking at one biome such as deserts and the kids go and research another. I also try and do a bit on the environment and again give an assignment on acid rain for example and work through Leonardo Di Caprios recent film 'After the flood' I think it's called. Finally I always do a bit on fieldwork: just a small local study looking at traffic patterns or urban land use. Hopefully this helps

Advertisement