Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post delivering in Saturday's now?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I recall reading a few weeks back that An Post were to start delivering parcels on Saturdays, just wondering if this has been implemented and is in effect already?

I have a parcel that arrived in Ballina today and I've just received notification that it's now in Portlaoise, so can I expect delivery tomorrow or will I be waiting til Monday?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, they do deliver some stuff on Saturday's alright. I did ask a postman about it and apparently An Post have a deal with some suppliers to deliver parcels on Saturday's. I can't remember which, if any, were mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its in effect for a month or so with packages dispatched by Amazon. Not sure if it was expanded to other senders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Have had three different deliveries on Saturday Mornings from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Its for all parcels. Was surprised last Sat when I checked the tracking on something I was expecting to see there was an attempted delivery on the Sat morning.

No card left though but it was delivered on Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Interesting!

Thanks guys, I'll update tomorrow if anything arrives! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

I have an amazon delivery go through the below status arriving into their network on Friday (yesterday), it made it to cork by about midnight but seems to have stopped in its tracks

ITEM IS IN TRANSIT CORK MAIL CENTRE
    CO CORK 26-Aug-17
    00:07
    ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED CORK MAIL CENTRE
    CO CORK 26-Aug-17
    00:07
    ITEM IS IN TRANSIT DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE EXT
    DUBLIN 12 25-Aug-17
    15:21
    ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE EXT
    DUBLIN 12 25-Aug-17
    15:21

Not out for delivery today so there must be some criteria in it for Saturday delivery!

Not sure what's happening with mine, last movement on tracking says "in transit" from Portlaoise since 23:20 last night. No knock at the door yet though!

I think I may need to reexamine my life when I start to find the prospect of a delivery on a Saturday exciting...

an posts tracking is usually fairly accurate, if its out for delivery, it says that its out for delivery

if it does not show it as that its sitting in a cage in one of their sort facilities or its on the back of a 40 foot truck on route somewhere

BArra wrote: »
    an posts tracking is usually fairly accurate, if its out for delivery, it says that its out for delivery

if it does not show it as that its sitting in a cage in one of their sort facilities or its on the back of a 40 foot truck on route somewhere

Ballymount are terrible for not scanning items, mine always go "In transit" to "Delivered".

haha okay point taken, on the saturday delivery being exciting, i think it would be a little, as the article says the reason anpost are starting to do it is for increased revenue, but being able to receive a delivery on saturday is convenient for us the consumers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got 2 Amazon deliveries on a Saturday 2 weeks ago, local postman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

An Post to deliver parcels on Saturday for online shoppers:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/an-post-to-deliver-parcels-on-saturday-for-online-shoppers-1.3123033

Well, just to update, no delivery today, so Monday it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,021 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe they're only doing it in more urban areas, Ballina may not come under that. It is effectively to compete with the private operators for business with big online retailers. Have had an An Post Amazon delivery in (clanking of the Deliverybox woke me up, but then again so would them ringing the bell) and a DPD delivery (which very much woke me up...) on a Saturday recently.

byte

L1011 wrote: »
    I believe they're only doing it in more urban areas, Ballina may not come under that. It is effectively to compete with the private operators for business with big online retailers. Have had an An Post Amazon delivery in (clanking of the Deliverybox woke me up, but then again so would them ringing the bell) and a DPD delivery (which very much woke me up...) on a Saturday recently.
    They're doing parcel deliveries in Donegal Town on Saturday's, not all that urban. Perhaps it's left up to individual postmasters what to do? Or maybe Donegal Town is considered a relatively big office for posting with a relatively large cover area?

I'm not sure if they deliver just to the town centre, or cover the rural hinterlands too - I'd imagine it's the former.

byte wrote: »
    They're doing parcel deliveries in Donegal Town on Saturday's, not all that urban. Perhaps it's left up to individual postmasters what to do? Or maybe Donegal Town is considered a relatively big office for posting with a relatively large cover area?

I'm not sure if they deliver just to the town centre, or cover the rural hinterlands too - I'd imagine it's the former.

AFAIK postmasters have zero to do with Courier Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Absolutely nothing to do with postmasters. Completely different stream through company delivery offices.

byte

amtc wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing to do with postmasters. Completely different stream through company delivery offices.
    Grand so, was merely a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

L1011 wrote: »

I ordered yarn from a shop in Dublin online and had the postman at the door on the Saturday with it. Was gobsmacked! I'm in Castleblayney, so much smaller than Ballina!

Some CP stuff was offered to sole trader operations, anecdotally its not very popular/profitable but maybe those drivers are able to opt in for Saturdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Looks like also attempting a 2nd delivery on the same day if not at home on 1st delivery, on my case they came around in the morning 10am, again after 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,021 ✭✭✭✭L1011

nava wrote: »
    Looks like also attempting a 2nd delivery on the same day if not at home on 1st delivery, on my case they came around in the morning 10am, again after 5.

This is the standard now - two delivery attempts day 1, and a third the next day

In my case I had them try the second before 5 which is useless - I get home early by most peoples standards but I'll never be back before 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just had delivery of a fire tablet from amazon so they must be doing Sunday now as well. This is in Dublin 12

Advertisement