Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta 2017, Stage 8 : Hellín / Xorret de Catí. 199,5km

Options
  • 26-08-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

PROFIL.png
    Mid-mountain, with an uphill finale. Stage with a classic Vuelta finale and a new test for the leaders. The last climb, with slopes of inclinations over 20%, will not make much of a difference to the general classification, but it will add up to the times already obtained in Andorra and in the Ermita de Santa Lucía.

CARTE.jpg

Sunweb have sent Barguil home, big call.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sunweb-send-barguil-home-from-vuelta-after-disagreements-over-tactics/

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

1. GBRFROOME Christopher 21 TEAM SKY 27h 46' 51''
    2. COLCHAVES RUBIO Johan Esteban 41 ORICA - SCOTT 27h 47' 02'' + 00' 11''
    3. IRLROCHE Nicolas 36 BMC RACING TEAM 27h 47' 04'' + 00' 13''
    4. USAVAN GARDEREN Tejay 38 BMC RACING TEAM 27h 47' 21'' + 00' 30''
    5. ITANIBALI Vincenzo 151 BAHRAIN - MERIDA 27h 47' 27'' + 00' 36''
    6. ESPDE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David 11 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 27h 47' 31'' + 00' 40''
    7. NEDBOL Jetse 219 MANZANA POSTOBON TEAM 27h 47' 37'' + 00' 46''
    8. ITAARU Fabio 131 ASTANA PRO TEAM 27h 47' 40'' + 00' 49''
    9. GBRYATES Adam 48 ORICA - SCOTT 27h 47' 41'' + 00' 50''
    10. CANWOODS Michael 91 CANNONDALE DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 27h 48' 04'' + 01' 13''
    11. GBRYATES Simon 49 ORICA - SCOTT 27h 48' 17'' + 01' 26''
    12. RUSZAKARIN Ilnur 101 TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN 27h 48' 31'' + 01' 40''
    13. FRABARGUIL WARREN 62 TEAM SUNWEB 27h 48' 34'' + 01' 43''
    14. NEDKELDERMAN Wilco 61 TEAM SUNWEB 27h 48' 36'' + 01' 45''
    15. NEDOOMEN Sam 69 TEAM SUNWEB 27h 49' 05'' + 02' 14''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The 3 sunweb lads were 13/14/15, and hes leaving the team at the end of the season. Easy enough call to make as kelderman is the designated leader, is dutch, and is staying with them next year

Looking for odds on todays stage as might make a bet or two. Downloaded the Paddy Power and the Betting 365 apps for my mobile. Both do not cover the Vuelta. Anyone know where I should look to bet on the Vuelta?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Looking for odds on todays stage as might make a bet or two. Downloaded the Paddy Power and the Betting 365 apps for my mobile. Both do not cover the Vuelta. Anyone know where I should look to bet on the Vuelta?

They did last night ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2 Dangermen in the break with regard to the Red Jersey.

kZqz9DY.png

• Advertisement

It's a team sport, you are well paid by the team to do your job as decided by your team and your DS. I have no sympathy for Barguil in this case.

BMC making their presence felt now. Good to see they have Vliegen up the road

Here we go, been a long warm up to what should be an explosive finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Contador, feck, what happened to him the other day? He and Froome are the strongest with a gap to Chaves and Woods and then the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Contador, feck, what happened to him the other day? He and Froome are the strongest with a gap to Chaves and Woods and then the rest.

Stomach problems...a pity, as hed be right up there if he didn't lose the 2 mins or so

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Stomach problems...a pity, as hed be right up there if he didn't lose the 2 mins or so

Aye we have been robbed of a battle for the ages I feel due to the Andorra stage stomach bug costing Bertie @3 minutes, the 2 of them seem to be on a level slightly above all the other GC hopefuls.

Roche holding on to 3rd and looking strong

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye we have been robbed of a battle for the ages I feel due to the Andorra stage stomach bug costing Bertie @3 minutes, the 2 of them seem to be on a level slightly above all the other GC hopefuls.

They are way above everyone else ....but you will still get thw battle

All that is needed is for Froome to have a jours sans to level things out

GC

hf03XqZ.png

Stage

TP1WbpQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Roche holding on to 3rd and looking strong

How did he look today?

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    How did he look today?

He got dropped early enough on the final climb, but dug deep and got in with a group that only finished 11 seconds behind the Chaves group at 1:55 off the winner, so all in all an excellent result on a climb that wouldn't really suit him.

Tomorrows finish is very similar, a brutally steep 4km climb, only no descent to allow you to close down any gaps this time.

vuelta-a-espana-2017-stage-9-cumbre-del-sol-1502882814.png

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    How did he look today?

I watched the last hour and he looked strong, he either finished on the same time or very shortly after his main competitors. TVG usually tires but he end of week 2 and week 3 of a GT so hopefully by the end of next week Roche will have full support of the team. I reckon he can beat Chaves in GC. Though Froome, Nibali, Contador & probably Aru are stronger over three weeks. If Roche can stay in the top 5 GC by the end of next week then gets full team support, he could finish 4th or 5th. That would be a great result!

I watched the last hour and he looked strong, he either finished on the same time or very shortly after his main competitors. TVG usually tires but he end of week 2 and week 3 of a GT so hopefully by the end of next week Roche will have full support of the team. I reckon he can beat Chaves in GC. Though Froome, Nibali, Contador & probably Aru are stronger over three weeks. If Roche can stay in the top 5 GC by the end of next week then gets full team support, he could finish 4th or 5th. That would be a great result!

Roche is a fighter so he wont give up easily
    This is one of the strongest Vuelta fields in a long time and a top 5 will be hard to get

I agree re Chaves ...because of the TT ....and I am not sure Aru will be such a rival given he may tire after Tour GC and his TT is also poor

The rival who may cause the most problem imo is Zakarin...he is fresh and has a very good TT....but he can blow hot & cold so who knows

Nico found that climb hard today but he fought back to Tejay and co
    So he did a very good job of limiting his losses

Tomorrow climb he rode well in 2015 and is less steep(overall) so maybe better for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just watching the highlights and it reminds why the vuelta is the best GT. another good finish to the stage and it's great that it's harder for sky to control. Also less A holes on the side of the road running in Borat costumes and if they get out of line the Spanish police let them know.

It's crazy how much climbing they've done and they haven't even had the first rest day yet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like cannondale could be gone next year. Seems new title sponsor for next year's pulled out

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/901547058657669120

• Advertisement

Guess Oath don't take oaths seriously so???? Shame if this is true, they already added them to their shorts post the tour.

Oh not Oath that pulled out
    While Oath's commitment remains in place, an as of yet unknown sponsorship partner appears to have backed out of an expected deal for the coming season, leaving the team in limbo.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cannondale-drapac-uncertain-to-continue-in-2018/

That national champs jersey could prove valuable to Mullen if they go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Just watching the highlights and it reminds why the vuelta is the best GT. another good finish to the stage and it's great that it's harder for sky to control. Also less A holes on the side of the road running in Borat costumes and if they get out of line the Spanish police let them know.

It's crazy how much climbing they've done and they haven't even had the first rest day yet

I have to agree it's a brilliant GT, for entertainment value it's so much better to watch the TDF. It's been providing by far the best racing for a few years now.

Advertisement