Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to give 3 Months Notice

Options
  • 26-08-2017 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm currently on the look out for a new career, but my three months notice might hinder my chances of getting a job. I've only been with the company a year and a half, but my contract states that I need to provide them with three months notice. I am in no way in a senior position and only three years out of college. I think I will find it difficult to find a new career as I can't imagine companies waiting three months for me to start. Is there any way around this or any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭JennyZ

I wouldn't over think this or let it hinder your plans to move on. Employers can often be reasonable about this and come to a compromise. You never know how things may work out, deal with it when it arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bob_Ireland

Thanks for the advice JennyZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Sounds like a template contract. Unless you're very senior never enforced as is restraint of trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

amtc wrote: »
    Sounds like a template contract. Unless you're very senior never enforced as is restraint of trade.

You are right about the first bit, but wrong about restraint of trade. If it forms the terms and conditions of your contract, you are contractually bound by it but this is rarely if ever enforced.

There are statutory minimums which employers/employees must give, but time periods can be increased by agreement. If you agree to three months in your contract, it is not a restraint of trade, it is a contractual agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Apologies, i did mean hardly ever not never. Having said that I know 3 c level execs in a competitive industry and wasn't enforced for any of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement