Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before NCB runs out?

Options
  • 26-08-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

My insurance expired nov16 and i didn't renew it because i have been back and forth overseas working and i don't really need a car at present,

I have a full NCB just wondering when will it be invalid? heard from some it's 1 year and others it's 2 years,

I don't want to lose my NCB so could i insure a car just before it expires and then cancel or suspend the policy just to keep my NCB going?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

oceancat wrote: »
    Hi,

My insurance expired nov16 and i didn't renew it because i have been back and forth overseas working and i don't really need a car at present,

I have a full NCB just wondering when will it be invalid? heard from some it's 1 year and others it's 2 years,

I don't want to lose my NCB so could i insure a car just before it expires and then cancel or suspend the policy just to keep my NCB going?

Cheers.

Depends on the insurer. Some will allow you one year without a vehicle, others two.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Motor policy held with Irish insurance policy is valid for 2yrs max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

General practice is for insurers to allow NCB up to two years. However, as NCBs have no legal standing, insurers are free to accept or reject them at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Pokiedots

I'm currently trying to arrange insurance after not having a policy for 2.5 years, so lost my NCB - its a nightmare, if i could go back i would have taken out a policy last year to avoid this unfortunately it wasnt possible at the time, and honestly i really didnt imagine the cost would be as high as it is now!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

The insurer you were previously with MIGHT (and it's just a might) be more sympathetic to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement